our best bites dressing in jar introThis is my knock-off version of a Costa Vida/Cafe Rio style dressing. I’m always getting asked for this recipe, so I finally wrote down what I do! There’s millions of recipes out there for this type of thing and a lot of the good ones call for fresh tomatillos. However after experimenting quite a bit I decided I didn’t like the fresh tomatillos, in this instance. For one thing it’s not something I have laying around my kitchen on a regular basis so I have to plan in advance to buy them. Then I didn’t like the weird, watery texture they added to the dressing. So I started using a much easier substitution: Green salsa. Green salsa is made primarily from tomatillos and other things like jalapenos, limes, etc. And it’s different than “green sauce” like Pace for example. Make sure to check the ingredient list and see that tomatillos are listed as the top ingredient. See my note below about the different brands. This is stuff I always have around so I can whip it up any time the craving comes along. And it comes along often! I love love love this dressing. I totally dip my finger in it when it sits around in my fridge. But don’t worry- if I ever invite you over for dinner I’ll make a fresh batch. I promise.

Our Best Bites Creamy Lime Cilantro Sauce

This really only takes about 60 seconds to make, and then allow for a bit of time for it to set up.  Just pop everything in a blender and wiz away.  We start with a base of Hidden Valley Ranch mix, buttermilk or regular is fine, and add in fresh garlic, cilantro, lime juice, green salsa, and buttermilk. After all that is in there and it’s blended, feel free to add hot sauce to taste, if you like.

Our Best Bites Creamy Dressing

When it’s done, pop it in the fridge to thicken and let those flavors develop.

our best bites dressing in jar

It’s obviously awesome on salads, and also as a dip for things like chicken fingers, veggies and steak fries.  If you’re making our Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos, this is pretty much required to go along with them.

Do you love Cafe Rio/Costa Vida type salads?

You’ve got all of the ingredients to make an Our Best Bites version right here. Start with a fresh homemade tortilla, layer on some lime-cilantro rice (pineapple optional) and black beans, then some crispy romaine lettuce. Top with either taco chicken or lime-chili steak, some fresh Pico de Gallo and guacamole and fried tortilla strips for the big finish. Smother it in this salad dressing or this vinaigrette and you’ve got a salad ready to send you to food heaven!

Suzy says:

I know that I would love this! I plan on giving it a try.

What A Dish! says:

Thanks for posting that you use green salsa instead of tomatillos- I’m in a part of the world where there seems to be no tomatillos, so yay- now I can make this dressing!

Lindsey Alexander says:

This looks so good. Thanks I have dinner planned for tonight!

becca says:

Mmmmmmmm I LOVE this dressing. Word to the wise… don’t bother trying to make it with light mayo… it RUINS it!
    I love it on salads and as a dipping sauce for flank steak… YUM!

Leigh Anne Wilkes says:

I love this dressing at Cafe Rio and have tried other versions of the recipe. I like the substitution you made with the salsa and no tomatillos – can’t wait to try it! Thanks!

Rindy R says:

I completely understand why you would want to drink this stuff – pour me a glass!

Jess says:

Oh, yum. Gotta try this.

Do you have a fresh salsa recipe? I bet it’s amazing.

Kara says:

I’ve made the dressing with tomatillos and love it, but this does look much easier.

I’m making 20 pounds of Bajio chicken for a RS dinner tomorrow, so I might just have to buy some of that green salsa-thanks for the idea!

Kevin says:

That is one tasty dressing!

John, Kara, Andrew and Grant says:

Mmmm, Cafe Rio! Any ideas on their enchilada sauces? Like the medium green sauce that they do? I need that so I can make me a smothered burrito.

Kate says:

Kara, I have a recipe for the sauce that’s pretty similar! Shoot me an email and I’ll send it to you! :)

Daziano says:

This sounds perfect for a good ceviche!!

Angie says:

I’m going to keep this in mind! It looks awesome.

cindy says:

I’ve seen several recipes for this type of dressing–yours could be the winner! I haven’t had luck with tomitillos so this could be the answer! Thanks!

Hannah says:

I’m totally with you when it comes to using tomatillos! I’m excited to try this version of it. Sure sounds good!!

Natalie says:

Just wanted to say that I found your site through foodgawker- and I LOVE THIS DRESSING- I put it on a salad of romaine, red onions, and oven roasted grape tomatoes and fresh jalepeno slices- it was absolutely heavenly. Thanks so much for the recipe!!

Melanie says:

Do you actually use a 1 oz. pkg of dressing or a 0.4 oz. pkg?

Melanie-

It’s just the normal ol’ pack of ranch dressing. Is it .4oz?? I swear I looked at the package when I wrote out the recipe! I may have made a typo- I’m not home right now to double check, but you could totally be right. If it’s just the normal sized one from the grocery store (I think it only comes in one size) then you’ve got the right one! I’ll double check that and fix the recipe when I get home again.

okay, I think I figured out this little conundrum! The different “styles” of Hidden Valley Ranch packets have different weights/volumes. So it doesn’t really matter, you just need one regular packet. The instructions should call for 1 cup liquid (either milk or buttermilk) and one cup mayo. It looks to me like the regular ranch mix is 1 oz and the buttermilk mix is .4

Pink Flip Flops says:

I LOVE this! It was a hit at my party! Thanks so much.

olivia's mommy says:

hi sara! i'm a sara too and i love LOVE this dressing! i have finally been able to get my picky family to eat salad! two nights in a row even! :O amazing! lol
    Question – how long does the salad dressing last once it's made? I would like to make a double batch and eat it at the beginning of the week and then the weekend… any ideas?
    Thanks!

Oh ya Olivia, it's definitely good for a week, even longer actually. Although I can't tell you how much longer because it doesn't last very long in our house! I'm so glad you like it.

oops, I didn't mean to call you Olivia- you just told me you were Sara! lol

dmd77 says:

Wow, this dressing is so good! My husband wants salad every night just so he can eat more of this dressing!

I did make one small adjustment because I'm weird about large amounts of mayo- I subbed half of it with fat-free plain greek yogurt and it was so amazing, and a tiny bit better for us. :)

Thanks for the great recipe; it is already a new staple in my kitchen!

jlyn8605 says:

Fantastic dressing!! I couldn't believe the restaurant taste :)

shayla says:

I can't get enough of this stuff. Seems like I'm making it every other week. Question about the cilantro: Do you mostly try to use only the leafy part, or are the stems equally as good if you're gonna blend it all up anyway?

Another question. How do you feel about people stealing pictures from your blog? I'd like to put a link to this recipe on my own blog and thought a picture would be nice. I could easily take one of my own, but it's not going to look nearly as yummy as this one of your pitcher of dressing sitting on a blanket lime and cilantro goodness!

Shayla- so glad I'm not the only once addicted to this! To answer your questions:

1. don't pick off the leaves of the cilantro, just bundle it all up and cut it stems and all. Just stop cutting when you get about 2/3 of the way down, or when you start seeing more stem than leaf. There's a good picture (of parsley, but same concept) in this chimichurri post:

2. You are welcome to use our pictures, as long as you say they came from our site and you place a link back here. Steal away!

Meagan says:

I've tried a lot of knock-offs of Cafe Rio's dressing, and this one is by far the closest… almost hard to tell the difference! Not to mention the green salsa is a HUGE convenience factor.

Amazing.

Thank you!

The Double Dipped Life says:

This is so funny that I found this recipe on your blog today. I make a similar one, but with buttermilk instead of milk. I'm glad to see that regular milk works.

Anne says:

Have you ever made this with your own ranch dressing? (which we're newly addicted to, btw. I used to make my own ranch with fresh herbs but yours is SO much easier–and way tasty!) And if so, how much? I have a newly made batch o' ranch in the fridge and would like to try this sans using a packet mix. I guess I'll just experiment, but wondered if you had already! Planning on making the taquitos tonight!

Anne-
    I have been meaning to try it with my ranch, but I have yet to do so! I'm sure it will work great. If I were you, I would just cut the buttermilk down a bit, maybe in half, and then add more in if the dressing is too thick. Let me know how it turns out, I'm interested to know!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hi, Sica! The link to the green enchilada sauce is here:

Hope that helps! :)

Natalie says:

YUMMY! Any chance of a recipe for the vinaigrette?

The Moore Family says:

I made the dressing it came out great. I also made for dinner shrimp scampi with linguine.. I forgot the salad fixings at the store so I thought I could pour some of the dressing over the shrimp pasta dish. It was AMAZING….

Renee C. says:

This dressing is AMAZING! I didn't use the hot sauce, however, because the green salsa that I was able to find at my grocery store was pretty hot. I will never stop making this, thanks for the recipe! :)

MoCheney says:

Tried your recipe tonight for some shrimp tacos I made and loved it. I did change it a bit. I used a half cup of sour cream and half cup of Mayo instead of one cup of Mayo and it came out great. I will definitely make this sauce more often. I'm addicted to it now. Thanks.

Melz Spot says:

Help! I live 2 hours south of the middle of nowhere….went to make this & there was no fresh cilantro at the store! I was able to get some dried cilantro in the spices. Can I use this (and how much?) Or do I need a new dinner plan?

Melz- it will definitely be different with dried cilantro, but if it's all you've got- go for it! The rule of thumb is 1tsp dry herb = 1 Tablespoon Fresh

Melz Spot says:

Thank you! Right after I got your answer I had a little "aha!" Moment and remembered a little Mexican market. Sure enough, they had some! DELICIOUS STUFF! I served it with your creamy baked chicken taquitos & they were a HUGE HIT with my picky family!

Laura says:

I don't often comment on recipe blogs- but I just had to tell you that I just made this and it's AMAZING! My husband, who ate at Cafe Rio 5-6 times a week his senior year in high school, tried it and exclaimed "that's Cafe Rio dressing!" Thanks for the awesome (and easy) recipe!

Ok, love this dressing but HATE Mayo, I could still taste it in the dressing too and it made me a little queasy. So, substituted plain greek yogurt and it was awesome! And way healthier too! :)

Kat says:

Love that Idea, and will try that-We just stay away from mayo in general! Thanks for the idea

Erin says:

Loved this dressing as a dipping sauce for chicken taquitos!

kate says:

Hi!!

I was wondering if there was any way if you could add a “recipe box” function to your site. I have so many recipes I’d like to have all in one place.

Thanks!
    kd

Lexi says:

hey kate!
      Your idea was great but for now, just copy and paste the recipes into one document and then in order t find a recipe open the find and replace box then type in the name of the recipe! Hope this is a help! :D
      Lexi

kate says:

Hi!!

Thanks!
    k

Meg says:

WOW! I can’t believe I just barely found your site!!! We made the Creamy Chicken Tacquitos last night, along with this dressing, and can I just say AMAZING! But you know that! Thanks for all the great recipes! I can’t wait to make more!

Elaine says:

Made this dressing and put it on a Pasta Chicken Salad and it oh-so-o-good! My son suggested that I might also make it thicker with maybe Sour cream so that he can eat it like a dip with chips. Whatever works! Thanks for your great site!!

Laura L. says:

I made this dressing yesterday and tried it side by side with the dressing from Cafe Rio I’d gotten a day or two earlier. It was almost identical except this recipe is missing one thing: grated Cotija cheese. Add a tablespoon or two of this and it’s perfect. So, so good. Thank you!!!

Eloise says:

WOW!!! love this recipe! i made it, and took it to my sisters house, and they gobbeled it all up! you ladies are awesome! thank you

Jenny says:

Does anyone know about how many servings this recipe makes? We are making “costa vida/cafe rio” type salads for a bridal shower and we need enough for 75-100 people. Thanks!

Anna from Noria Jewelry says:

I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to make this (I’ve made the chicken tacquitos numerous times) but Oh My. I had to exert some serious self control to drink this from a glass. This is definitely one if my face on your site!

rosie says:

has anyone tried this with sour cream. i HATE mayonnaise. can’t eat anything that contains it! thanks.

when you say to juice the lime in there too. Do you mean to just throw the whole thing in? Do I fish out the rind? Help!

Monica says:

YUM! I wanted to point out to anyone who might make the same mistake I did the first time…it’s important to use DRESSING mix & not the ranch DIP mix. The 1st time I made this recipe I grabbed the dip mix, which has 1 oz. in the envelope & is typically mixed w/ 2 cups sour cream, instead of the DRESSING mix, which has .4 oz & is typically mixed w/ 1 cup mayo. The DIP mix made it WAY TOO salty, and I love salt. Go with the dressing mix as stated in the recipe & it’ll be a HIT!

P.S. I think it would be great made as a dip with the DIP mix, but use 2 cups sour cream or mayo mixture to dilute all that salt in the DIP mix. :)

Thanks for sharing your awesome recipes!

Miriam says:

This is a random question, but is it possible to make this with dried cilantro? As strange as it is, I am allergic to fresh, but can eat dried cilantro. Thanks for you help and all your great recipes!

Miriam, you certainly could. It definitely will taste different, but if you have an allergy to the fresh stuff, go for it. Generally the rule of thumb is to use 1 part dry for every 3 parts fresh. I would start with that and then add more if you need to for flavor (and I suspect you will need a bit more).

Susan says:

Using this dressing with your Taco Chicken is excellent. Have you come up with anything similar to Cafe Rio’s pork barbecoa? (I think I spelled that right) I just LOVE that stuff!

Shawna says:

This is the best dip I have ever had. It is so versatile; I use it for tacos, chips, veggies and I’m guilty of eating it just by the spoonful. I would highly recommend this dip!

jami says:

Since this is one of my favorite salad dressings ever, I “healthified” it so I can have it guiltlessly on my salads all the time. I use 1/2 cup of mayo and 1/2 cup of plain 2% Greek yogurt. It is just as creamy and delicious, and quite a bit lower in calories and fat without having that nasty taste that some low fat dressings can have. I haven’t dared to go 100% Greek (and no mayo) yet, but I’m thinking I’ll give it a try with my next batch.

Kelly Sue says:

Is this recipe similar to El Pollo Loco’s recipe? I’ve never eaten at Cafe Rio (where is it BTW?) but it sounds delish! I love El Pollo Loco’s recipe but the only one who claimed they were close was charging for the recipe and I’m just not willing to pay, even if its only $0.79.

Shawna says:

Does this recipe freeze well; and if so for how long?

amber carlier says:

this dressing/sauce is amazing! i have also made it using the spicy ranch packets – giving some extra spice – and actually prefer it :) thank you for all the wonderful recipes :) love, love the cookbook as well!

We’ve been living off of this dressing this summer. Absolutely fabulous on taco salad!

Brigitte says:

Made this dressing tonight for our taco salads and it was a huge hit! I did add a chunk of fresh jalapeno for some extra kick and used 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup mayo instead of a whole cup of mayo. I can’t wait to dip my lunch veggies in it tomorrow! Thanks!

Holey moley, this dressing is so good! Im serving it tomorrow to feed my family and the missionaries in a green salad, along with the creamy baked chicken tostitos! Can’t wait:)

Anna says:

I haven’t made this yet but I’m sure I’ll love it because it has some of my favorite things! Ranch? Check. Cilantro? Check. GREEN SALSA? Check check! It looks divine :D

Kym says:

My husband wanted a steak salad today – we normally pick one up from our local gastro-pub. I figured we could try it ourselves but I couldn’t find the right dressing, it’s a chili something dressing on romaine with tomato, thin-sliced green apples, brownsugar coated toasted walnuts with red onions. I found this dressing instead and tweaked the salad (took out the apples and walnuts and added cucumbers). OMG! This dressing is soooooo good! I added a little pepper to mask the ranch (it was strong to me) but man this was soooo good! Even my kids ate it on their salad and I was (hoping/thinking) they’d eat ranch. They’re 9, 14 and 16 and they’re requesting it on the chicken wrap tomorrow, too ;) THANK YOU! Bookmarked your site for this foodie :)

I made with last night for my husband’s birthday party. It was a huge hit! I’m so excited I came across your website. We can’t wait to try other recipes.

Bret says:

This dressing is amazing! I’m doing roughly 1700 calories a day, so I had to substitute the mayo with fat-free sour cream, and the milk with skim milk. IT CAME OUT AMAZING. I am not even kidding. Kroger’s store-brand of fat-free sour cream is a little runnier than normal sour cream, so the texture was perfect. The only other thing I tweaked was a little extra cilantro, because honestly – who doesn’t love cilantro?

I’m not exaggerating when I say this is the best dressing/dip I’ve ever had the pleasure of enjoying. :) Swapping out the mayo and whole milk made it much, much, much healthier, for those of us on more restricted diets. :)

Kat says:

We sub the mayo with the Greek yogurt. I dont know if that fits in your restrictions, but its just as creamy :)

Marlayna says:

Hi Sara!
    I have recently moved from Meridian to Wyoming (I worked at DB and we visited a few times) I have a silly question for you. Is there a difference between the Green Salsa and Salsa Verde. Used to be able to buy the Green Salsa at Walmart and Albertsons … but now it isn’t on the shelves and all they have is the Verde. I am almost out of the Green Salsa in my food storage and I make this all the time….help!!! Thanks for the help :)

Jenelle says:

Don’t know if it’ll help, but I used Salsa Verde in mine, and it turned out wonderful. I just checked to make sure tomatillos was very first in the ingredients before I bought. HTH

Jenelle says:

Made this to go with your taquitos last night and it was a wonderful addition. Thanks for sharing!

Francheska says:

I didn’t have enough mayo so I added cream cheese with it an yummy!!I was out of fresh cilantro but I had some y’all may see in tubes that is like a paste you squeeze out. Not as flavorfull as the fresh but way better than dry. LOVE this dressing! I had it with southwestern chicken wings.

SarahW says:

I had some leftover homemade buttermilk ranch dressing that I made a couple of days ago. I simply added the same amounts of cilantro, garlic, lime juice and green salsa and blended it. My family stuffed themselves on the Fish Tacos that I served it over tonight. LOVE this. Thanks so much!

I made this last night to go on my homemade Cafe Rio-style taco salads and it was fabulous! I have to say I was a bit skeptical that it would taste the same as the real thing, but it was every bit as good, if not better. I’m definitely keeping this recipe around. Thanks!

Kelly Shinton says:

I just wanted to say I love your blog! I’m planning to make the lime chile steak salad and the apple pecan gorgonzola salad this weekend! Your tips and recommendations/comments are very helpful as well!

Thanks so much!
    Kelly Shinton, Registered Dietitian

laurie says:

Not sure if I missed this somewhere…but is there any idea how long it will keep? I’m only one person!! But it’s not worth wasting the cilantro to make a smaller batch!

Lance says:

WOW!!! I have eaten at Cafe Rio several times and I can’t ever get enough of their dressing. This recipe is the closest recipe to the Cilantro lime ranch at Cafe Rio. Thank you!!!

When I click on the print text only link it says I don’t have permissions to see that page. You might want to take a look at that.
    Can’t wait to try the recipe!

jenmel says:

My husband classified this with my chicken spaghetti and nothing has ever compared to that! This is so good and I have made 2 batches in 4 days! It is so delish on everything! We rubbed it on corn on the cob and dipped our green beans in it. I’m even guilty of putting it on my hotdog! It is so addictive!

Lorri says:

I have been missing Cafe Rio since moving to the east ( ok Utah a bit ;), and have made this dressing before..the harder way with the tomatillo’s and all that. The green sauce and the packet of ranch is not only easier, it tastes the same if not better!! Love it! Thanks!

Deanna says:

Thanks for the recommendation on the green salsa – I went looking for green salsa both for this and your creamy taquitos and couldn’t figure out what to get – I am also a wuss and they didn’t have any labeled as mild and I didn’t want to pay for something that I wouldn’t be able to eat. So excited to try this dip now (lol – I couldn’t wait for the taquitos and just ended up making it with regular salsa – still good – and they froze really well – I made a triple batch and ate the rest for lunches for the next month! Plus my kids really loved them too)

Thanks again for this great site and great recipes!

Try this to make it healthier! i made these substitutions and no one was the wiser :)

Silken Soft Tofu instead of milk and only 1/8 a cup of mayo. 10X’s healthier and equally as tasty!!!

KarenMartin says:

This was so yummy. Took it to a party and it was a hit. BTW… I used fat free mayo and it was still yummy! I may even try using Greek nonfat plain yogurt next time and see if it’s still good! Thanks!

[...] sauce made by combining some salsa and sour cream, but later on realized I had some homemade Cafe Rio-style cilantro lime dressing. That pairing about knocked my socks off. I highly recommend [...]

Jay says:

This one gets the blue ribbon from me! Great recipe, thanks

Jay says:

Forgot to add that I bought a jar of Mayo with lime by McCormick a few weeks ago and when I got it home I didn’t even know why I purchased it, it just sounded good when I saw it…. Well you may have guessed by now, I used it in this recipe! Delicious!

Vanesa says:

This was very good and I will definitely make it again but I will only use 1 clove of garlic next time. Although it was very tasty, the garlic after taste was SO over powering it was hard to get rid of it. So all in all I highly recommend it but omit from too much garlic.

[...] salsa than is stated in their recipe. Also, while perusing their blog, I also came across their ‘Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing’. I have been looking for something similar to Cafe Rio or Costa Vida’s Cilantro Ranch [...]

Samantha says:

This is the best dressing I have ever tried. I used it on everything from salad to potatoes to meat. Yummy. Thanks

[...] you Jenifer’s other favorite recipe, Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing that she pinned from Our Best Bites.  Jenifer says that she likes to add more green salsa than the recipe calls for, and she thinks [...]

[...] creamy lime cilantro dressing [...]

Jessie Crooks says:

I made this tonight with the Baked Tequitos – YUM!!!! Even my picky 5 year old ate it up! This is totally going on the rotation! :D…. I think I’m going to go get some of the sauce and try it with carrots, and maybe some chips… ;)

[...] Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites [...]

John says:

Made it. It was tasty. Very similar to the original.

MamalalaKirk says:

We have made this twice now. It’s so yummy on the chili lime steak salad. All the family members raved about it including my toddler and almost five year old.

Wanh says:

I made this today n it was soooo yummy, instead of the hidden valley powder mix I just used hidden valley Ranch dressing n all the ingredients as follow n turned out great..I will also be trying this creamy cilantro sauce when I make some fish taco ill keep you posted!

Diane C. says:

Does it matter if the ranch dressing mix is original buttermilk or milk recipe?

Valaida Hamada says:

Oh my goodness! I prepared the creamy lime cilantro ranch dip this evening. It was so delicious!!
    I had to stop myself from eating it. I also prepared ahead of time the creamy chicken taquitos, to have for dinner the next day. I thought preparing it the day before the ingredients would really make the dish more flavorful. A friend shared the recipe on Facebook, her son had made it. It looked so good I had to try it for myself. The dip/dressing could go with just about anything. I had something similar at a restaurant. This dip/dressing wins hands down! It is so good!

Lisa Robar says:

Happy 2014! Do you have any dairy free recipes for creamy salad dressings? Thanks.