Surprise!  This is a little bonus post this week.  And it’s actually kind of a cheater post because technically this recipe is already on the site.  This is my favorite mint brownie that my Mom has been making since I was a little girl.  It’s the brownie I turned into Peppermint Candycane Brownies on this site.  Because those are holiday themed, I think they get skipped over in the index during the rest of the year, so I wanted to have a place where the plain ol’ Mint Brownie could shine!  I’m slipping them in today because I think it’s a fun thing to make if you’re looking for a treat for St. Patty’s Day.

This recipe starts off with a super rich, fudgy brownie.  Look at the ingredients in that picture; mostly eggs, chocolate, butter, and sugar with just a little bit of flour.  That should tell you right there that this is one fudgy brownie!

You’ll start by melting the chocolate and butter together.

And after you add everything else in and bake your brownies you want to let them cool to room temp before moving on.  Once they’ve cooled you can whip up your peppermint frosting.

I spike it with quite a bit of peppermint because it’s a very thin layer of frosting.

After the frosting is spread on evenly, you top it with another melted chocolate mixture

Pop them in the fridge, and once the chocolate is hardened, you can slice them up.

And how perfect are these for St. Patrick’s Day?  Ya know, because they involve the color green, not because they are in any way authentically Irish like the bread I posted yesterday!

I love little containers like this.  You can find them at craft supply stores.  Add a few stickers and a ribbon and you’ve got a darling little treat for your lucky leprechaun!

Sandi says:

Could I substitute Creme de Menthe for the peppermint extract it this recipe?

Memória says:

These brownies look amazing. I already bookmarked this recipe on my phone. Thanks!

Crazy Jay says:

Super YUMMY!

Abraham + Marci says:

These look so yummy! I have a mint brownie recepie but the brownie part could be improved so these will be great to try. To add a little extra mint to mine I use mint chocolate chips and melt them with the butter for the top layer.

Katie says:

Don't worry, some of us cherish this recipe, holiday or not! I make these all the time and get lots of compliments. I admit I cheat and use Ghiradelli mix brownies, but these are absolutely delicious! At our annual Christmas party we had a HUGE table of treats, and this was the only thing that was completely gone at the end of the night.

Jamison says:

Thankgoodness I only have 3 squares of chocolate in my pantry! Or I would be abandoning any plans of cleaning durning nap time and making these tasty mint brownies! The look FINE and I will try them soon :)

Patti says:

Did you see how Pioneer Woman tried your frosting recipe and raved about it? I don't know if it's all the same proportions or not, but it's the flour/milk/cook thing and then whip. I thought of you guys!
    I had a lady at church tell me on Sunday that she's so glad I helped her find your website (I must have blogged something and given you credit). Just passing on the love…
    These brownies look so delicious!

Emilee says:

My husband makes a very similar double mint brownie–but he melts Andes mints instead of chocolate chips for the top layer.

CrystalsCozyKitchen says:

Mint and chocolate are the best! These look divine!

The Food Hunter says:

I love chocolate mint. these sound great. I can't wait to try making them.

madsonblueeyes says:

Wow, definitely will have to try this.

wildthayn says:

Thanks for this awesome recipe!! I made these today and had a house full of happy people, actually 3 houses full of happy people!! We shared with some friends. Amazing recipe!!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

No fair sneaking this in and no fair combining MINT and BROWNIES and sharing the recipe. How… can… I… resist?!

The Snow Maiden: says:

My husband loves mint brownies but is very particular about how the perfect mint brownie should taste. I made these yesterday and he said they were among his top favorite! :) He said the only thing that would have made them better was if they had nuts in them. :) Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe and for helping me bring a little more happiness to his life! :)

Snow Maiden- it's funny you say that because when I was little my Mom made these with nuts and I HATE nuts in mint brownies!! I don't think it goes with mint at all! But your hubby would love my Mom's original version- toss some nuts in there some time for him! lol

Carrie says:

My mom used to make these for special occasions when I was a kid. This recipe brings me back!! Thanks for posting!

Alexis and Justin says:

Uh-mazing! I made these today, I was always a fan of the byu mint brownies but these are wayyyy better. Enough to put you in a coma. I totally agree about nuts in brownies, not a fan. Thanks!

Rachelle says:

Awesome brownies! the mint frosting and chocolate really finished them off

Leda says:

Hi!! This sounds yummie!!!! Just checking: T (tablespoon)…t (teaspoon) C (cup)…right?? THANX A LOT!

Yup, you got it Leda!

nicole says:

these look AMAZING! i can't wait to try them. i'm going to make them for a baby shower on saturday, but just have a quick question…i have to make a lot of food for the shower, and am trying to figure out how much of it i can do beforehand (so i'm not completely overwhlemed day of or night before). i just wondered if these are something you think i could do in advance? and if so, how soon could i get started on them?
    [email protected]

thanks again for sharing this amazing recipe (and all your amazing recipes…i love everything i've tried!)

Maria says:

Added 3 oz cream cheese and an extra 1/2 powdered sugar to the mint frosting to make creamier. Yum!

Maggie says:

I tried these and they are sooo decadent!! Amazing, thank you for the recipe!

kristennw712 says:

I am in LOVE with y'alls blog!!! I started reading it a few weeks ago and have made half a dozen of your recipes. They are ALL amazing!!! My friend actually made these brownies for us a few weeks ago and I am making them for my mom when she comes to visit us this week. I was wondering, it's just three of us and I know we won't be able to eat an entire batch (well at least we shouldn't ;) ) do you think these could be frozen after completely done?!? Thanks for all yalls hard work! You are really helping me create a great array of recipes for our household!

Oh c'mon Kristen- you can totally take on a whole batch! haha. I've actually never tried freezing these, but I bet it would work okay. The other option would be to just cut the recipe in half (looking at the measurements, that should be easy) and just bake in an 8×8 pan) Then you could definitely demolish the little batch! ;) If you try freezing though, let us know how it goes!

Tara Lynn says:

I just made these today and they are amazing…I was wondering if you have ever tried them with different frostings.I was thinking peanut butter, or lemon, or caramel. Anyway, thanks for all the wonderful recipes!

Tara Lynn- yes, the possibilities are endless! A friend of mine made them with orange frosting and said they were amazing. I love raspberry and lemon with chocolate too so those are on my list to try!

Linsy says:

I made these yesterday and they are the best brownie i have ever had! Thanks for sharing!

nika the mad baker says:

Thanks so much for the advice, they came out great! I had to grind up some granulated sugar bc i was out of powdered and the mint layer came out a bit gritty but other than that it's perfect!

Camille says:

I don't like brownies and I liked these… and that's sayin something.

Do you guys have a cookbook… I just came out with a cookbook (Table for One: Perfectly Portioned Meals for the Single Chef), and was referred to your sight by a good friend. Maybe we can become cooking friends. :)

Kaylee says:

I made these this week for an outing we had. I used 3 1/2 tablespoons(approx) of Creme De Menthe. It came out tasting wonderful! The mint was perfect amount the next day. THANKS for the great recipe!

Jean says:

Just made these brownies as a St. Patty’s Day treat. They are to die for!!!!

Jessica Panter says:

So can I use mint extract instead of peppermint? I already have the mint so thought I would check

manybooks (Linda) says:

I just discovered your site a week or so ago, and I love it! I think my mom used to make a recipe very much like this when I was young – I can’t wait to try it! THANK YOU so much for sharing so much with us!

Melanie says:

Just made these last weekend. They were delicious! Even my husband who doesn’t like mint loved these. Thanks for the yummy recipe!!

Geneve Fallon says:

Made these out of your cookbook this week – love them! I just may have eaten most of the pan myself… Question – I’m making these for a family reunion this weekend and don’t have unsweetened chocolate. (I used the last of my supply when I made the first batch, and our grocery store didn’t have any.) Can I substitute bittersweet?

You probably could, but it would add a little sweetness. Maybe cut back on the sugar just a tiny bit. I haven’t tried that, but that would be my guess!

Tammy Bowen says:

Just because you are in the food yummy biz, thought I would tell you this change-up. I love the mint brownies and always have, but my husband is a non-mint kind of dude, sooooooo…. I just subbed out the mint with a little cocoa, enough to chocolatize but not dark enough to compete with the brownie layer. Now, we make mint no more!! These are named triple chocolate brownies and they are super delicious… esp for the chocoholic in many!!!

Regina Cole says:

A friend of mine made these and I almost died they were so good! Like Andes mint in a moist brownie bar! I can’t wait to make them myself!

Brianne says:

What kind of pan did she use? If I use my 9×13 pyrex glass pan then I have to line it with multiple pieces of foil to make it extend over the edges by an inch, but if I use a jelly roll type cookie sheet I can use one piece, which is better for this recipe?

samantha says:

In the process of making these right now. I am so excited about it. the brownies came out good (not as sweet as I like for brownies, but im sure the icing will make up for that)! I am excited about your website, I have made three things off of it so far and everything turned out perfect!

jeannette shultz says:

Just made http://www.tammysrecipes.com/fudgy_black_bean_brownies and then topped with your mint and chocolate yumminess…. they smell delish! I suspect you two could play with recipe and add a third variation of these brownies to your site!

Jenelle says:

Made these but substituted raspberry extract instead! Yummy!

Kylah says:

These brownies look super good. I love your awesome ideas.

Thank you!!

Zuzu Pasch says:

These are delicious!!! Me and my whole family love it! I rate it 5 diamonds ( 10 stars).i made it all by myself and I am turning 11 February 6, 2012. My grandma loved my brownies and I am so glad she could have it!
    When the giants won the super bowl, I presented it to them! They were so happy! My sister went ballistic when she found out I was making peppermint brownies! I took a while to make, but it was worth it! God bless and thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! :)

Kaylee says:

Have made these over and over! Tried the raspberry flavor too! Its a hit!!! Thanks for all the wonderful recipes :)

Damyon says:

I attended a St. Patrick’s Day party where the host topped her brownies with Andes mints. Delicious!

Clarissa says:

I’m making these for St. Patrick’s day and feeling a little squirmy about using a full 3 sticks of butter for one baked item! So I subbed a little applesauce in the batter and cream cheese in the frosting. I hope this recipe can stand up to a few cut corners. I’m sure I’ll end up feeling super-virtuous for only using 2 sticks of butter :/

Anastasia says:

I made these from your cookbook and I didn’t have any of the suggested extracts so i used COCONUT and it is AMAZING! I took them to a party and everyone thought they were super awesome! You should add coconut to the suggested flavors for the frosting if you ever do another cookbook! :)

ern says:

Just made these tonight, absolutely perfect! I tried another mint brownie recipe a few weeks ago that was a total flop, so I’m giddy that discovered this treasure. This has been dutifully pinned. :) Thank you for sharing!

[...] They’re easy to make and easy to serve – perfect for the busy holiday season. Their Mint Brownie recipe is in their first cookbook, as well as on Our Best Bites. The cookbook version is slightly [...]

[...] aquí va una pequeña receta extraída del blog ourbestbites.com, y que podéis leer completa aquí aunque en ingles. En este post encontraréis una traducción a nuestras medidas ilustradas con [...]

Melanie says:

My mom makes thees all the time, they are amazing!

[...] make themselves.  Well, not really.   Probably my second favorite brownie recipe has to be these suckers… the mint brownies from Our Best Bites. If I don’t share these I am severely punished.    [...]

Gina says:

How long do they keep?

[…] these mint brownies are a recipe from Our Best Bites. Don’t let the layers scare you, the recipe is quite simple and the brownies always turn out […]

Terry Webber says:

These look good; my daughter-in-law loves anything mint! Thank you for the recipe!!