If you’ve been reading the blog for awhile, you probably know I have a thing for eggs. And when I say “thing for” I mean “hate them.” Well, “hate” is taking it a tad far–I don’t hate all eggs, just most eggs, and it doesn’t take much for me to hate them, especially if I have to cook them myself. I want to like them so badly because I actually do think they taste good, but they just make my throat want to close up.
We-ell, this past April, Sara and I came up with the idea of making breakfast taquitos. I left Sara to the taquito recipe experimentation because, all together now, “Kate hates eggs!” So imagine my surprise when I loved. Loved. LOVED the eggs in her taquitos, especially when there was a buffer of other ingredients and the crispy tortilla.
As we’ve read through the comments about how people like to use feta, we’ve seen a number of people say they love it on eggs. So I sucked it up and whipped out my frying pan. Since 9 times out of 10, my omelets flop (nearly literally), I usually end up making some kind of egg scramble and then wrapping it up in a tortilla or a crepe (how I can make crepes and not omelets is beyond me). I knew I wanted to use something similar to Sara’s egg filling for the taquitos, but I wanted it to be a little more Mediterranean, so I swapped out a few ingredients. Guess what? I totally loved it. And really, the key players are eggs, salt, pepper, and feta cheese–you can add as little or as much other stuff as you like. But this is what I did:
Eggs get a Mediterranean twist from a handful of pantry spices,
and they turn out extra creamy and fluffy with the addition of a little sour cream.
Crumbled feta gives the whole dish a tangy saltiness,
and roasted red pepper and fresh green onion add brightness and tons of flavor.
You’ll just scramble everything in a skillet,
and then wrap them in either warm flour tortillas, or crepes.
I personally love a delicate crepe with eggs like this, but they’re also great in a tortilla or on a piece of toast.
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- A few cracks of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoon diced roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoon minced green onions
- Crepes or warm flour tortillas
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk the eggs, sour cream, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and garlic powder together. Gently add in the crumbled feta cheese. When the skillet is hot, add 1 tsp. butter and then add the eggs and allow them to begin to set up and then scrape the bottom of the pan to allow the liquid parts to cook. Stir in the roasted red peppers and green onions. Cook eggs until the desired doneness is reached. Serve immediately. If desired, sprinkle with a little extra feta cheese and wrap the scrambled eggs in a crepes or warm flour tortillas.