Update: We won the BH&G Cook-Off! Take a look at our winning recipe!
BBQ Bacon Sliders with Blue Cheese and Crispy Onions.
We also combine it with a tangy Blue Cheese Spread (which is simply this dressing without the milk). And if you’re not a fan of blue cheese, the spread is still awesome without it! But give it a shot- it really just adds a tang that goes great with the bbq sauce.
While those mini burgers are on the grill we bathe them in an amazing bbq sauce (and you could totally take a short-cut and use a bottled sauce if you’d rather)
While those little guys are cooking, start assembling. First the bottom halves of the buns are spread with the sauce and topped with a crisp, cold lettuce leaf and a slice of bacon.
then put on a warm burger
and top with a little pile of shoestring onions.
Finally the top bun goes on with more sauce. Are you wondering how something could be both mouthwatering AND adorable?? I know, we’re awesome like that. 😉 Sliders are great because you can eat a whole burger and still have some room for sides to balance out the meal. They’re also great for parties or appetizers too.
- 11/2 lbs high-quality 85/15 ground Angus
- 1/2 C BBQ sauce (or your favorite bottled BBQ sauce)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8-10 small white dinner rolls, or Hawaiian sweet rolls, sliced in half and toasted if desired
- 8-10 crisp lettuce leaves
- 8-10 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1/4 c. crumbled blue cheese (not a blue cheese fan? Leave it out!)
- Garlicky Blue Cheese Spread: Combine mayonnaise, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and garlic. Mix well and stir in crumbled blue cheese. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Burgers: Heat a grill pan on the stove top, or an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Combine beef, 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce, salt and pepper. Divide and shape mixture into 8-10 3/4"-thick patties (keep the size of your buns in mind as wells the fact that the burgers will shrink quite a bit while cooking when shaping the patties). Grill for 2-3 minutes and then flip. Brush the top side of each burger with remaining sauce. Continue grilling for another 2 minutes and flip burgers again, brushing the other side with additional sauce. Continue to cook and baste until the internal temperature of the burgers reach 160-165 degrees.
- To assemble: Lightly spread the bottom half of each bun with Garlicky Blue Cheese Spread and top with a lettuce leaf. Break each bacon piece in half and place on top of lettuce leaves. Place burger on top and drizzle with additional barbecue sauce if desired. Top with a small handful of Crispy Shoestring Onions. Spread remaining Garlicky Blue Cheese Spread on top halves of buns.
Don’t forget the Crispy Shoestring Onions!