Posted in Christmas, Cookies, Kate

chocolate peppermint kiss cookiessquareThese cookies are special. I mean, all cookies are special, but these are special (like Rory Gilmore). We originally posted these 4 years ago and it was kind of funny to read through what was going on in my life at the time–it was our first Christmas in our new house…I was turning 30. It’s now our 5th Christmas in this house and I am no longer about turn 30, but I still remember making these cookies for the first time, going back and forth between baking and texting my friend Laura about why I was skipping our church Christmas party (who needs Christmas potlucks when you have chocolate and peppermint cookies? That’s why.)

These have become a staple in our family, a favorite treat we deliver to teachers, friends, and neighbors, something my kids request for class treats. This is one of those recipes that has kind of become part of our family story, which makes me love them even more.

We’re participating in a cookie swap with some of our favorite blogger friends, so I thought  I’d give one of my favorite recipes a makeover (as fun as it was to read through my memories, it was not fun to see my old pictures. I know, I know, we should appreciate the growth process, see all the things I’ve learned along the way. One of the things I’ve learned is that some pictures are best remained unseen, like the old pictures of this recipe and my 6th grade yearbook photo.)

I started with Sara’s Cadbury Egg Cookie Dough, which is really just a great recipe for chocolate cookies. Start with some softened butter and butter-flavored shortening…

Place the brown and white sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl.

chocolate peppermint kiss cookies-2

Add some butter-flavored shortening and some softened butter.

Butter and Shortening

Cream together for 1-2 minutes on medium-high speed or until light and fluffy. Add some vanilla…

vanilla

peppermint extract, and eggs and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the baking powder, baking soda, salt, flour,

Flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt

and cocoa powder.

cocoa powder with dry ingredients

Add to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.

chocolate peppermint kiss cookies-7

chocolate peppermint kiss cookies-8

To prevent cookies from flattening out, refrigerate dough for 30-60 minutes.  Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto an ungreased baking sheet (or parchment paper-lined baking sheets).

chocolate peppermint kiss cookies-9

Bake until just set, but centers are still soft, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes. Use a metal spatula to transfer cookies to cooling rack.  Top each cookie with an unwrapped Candy Cane Kiss.

peppermint kiss cookies cooling

Allow to cool completely, long enough for the Kiss to harden. If necessary, after the cookies have cooled, they can be placed in the refrigerator or freezer to re-solidify the Kiss.

Allow them to stand for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack. These puppies need a few hours for the kiss to become solid again, but if you need to hurry things along, wait until the cookies themselves have cooled and then transfer them to your refrigerator or freezer and they’ll be set up in no time.

These are perfect for holiday gift-giving because they’re easy, festive, a little different, and hold up well to packaging:

chocolate peppermint kiss cookies-10

Candy Cane Cookies From Our Best Bites

(Click here for these ADORABLE and customizable gift tags.)

Candy Cane Kiss Cookies

Need a unique gift?  Make your friends do the baking!  Details here.

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Oh. My. Yum!! Chocolate and mint is a deathly combination. The hubs and I love it. And I love Sara's Cadbury cookie recipe. This sounds like a match made in heaven and I can't wait to try it! If it wasn't 11pm at night on a Sunday with our first snow of the season and practically bald tires on our SUV, I would SO go out and buy the candy cane kisses. I'm hoping the weather is decent enough to brave the drive to the grocery store tomorrow. Can't wait to try these!! :)

♥♥ belinhagulosa ♥♥ says:

ficaram lindos os cookies lindos mesmo e a criançada adorou…

IWA (e - va) says:

SO cute and Creative!

Dixie Mom says:

Looks yummy and festive!

Patti says:

Mmmmm, chocolate and mint! One of my favorites! Yum!

Oh my deliciousness! Those are adorable. I love how we were both on the same wavelength this weekend, lol. We really do need to be neighbors… ;)

The Boob Nazi says:

I hate mint, but these are cute. I love how festive they are.

Lindsay says:

I love when you guys do cookie recipes! I'll be making these this weekend.

Sarah says:

My friend and I were just thinking about a recipe like this!! We were thinking chocolate crinkle cookies with the kisses! :)

Kristan says:

Okay, I've never had those Cadbury Egg cookies, but I obviously need to.

I also contemplated posting Christmas cookies this week, but I was afraid of "jumping the gun" backlash. So I admire your bravery and am now regretting my decision to wait, because these look great!!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!!

Rachel says:

I made these for everyone last year but I used a butter cookie recipe and they were a huge huge hit! especially since I rolled them in red and green sugar before baking.. they were so pretty.
    I'll definitely have to add y'all's chocolate version to my makings this year ;-)

Brooke - in Oregon says:

Yummmm, these would be fun to make with my little granddaughter, she would love putting the kisses on (in between eating them) lol

Keri says:

The kisses set up faster (and melt less) if you refrigerate them before you put them on the cookie.

Holly@Life as a Lofthouse says:

These are the cutest little cookies!!! So perfect for Christmas! Im so excited too.. I cant believe its almost here :)

Scott and Em Hoffman says:

Happy almost birthday Kate! 30 is not so bad, kind of nice
    to be out of the 20's!

Jenn says:

I make these all the time (well, during the holidays!).

cept I don't add chocolate chips to them, must try that.

Yummy!!!

cassie says:

It's never too early for Christmas cookies. I am also looking forward to some more yummy gift ideas like you did last year. Thanks for your ideas.

Karen says:

I am so excited for Christmas treats! These look so yummy!

Annie says:

YUMMY!!! these look declious!! :)

John and Kristen says:

Can I just say YUMM-O! I just saw your Cadbury recipe the other day and was bummed cause it is not Easter but now I can use my OTHER favorite candy- the deadly addictive candy cane kiss!! Thank you. (oooh, someone found cadbury eggs for Christmas?! I love your followers)

NannersNooey says:

I wonder if you freeze the chocolates first prior to pressing them into the cookies if that will help them retain their shape?

there are a couple other recipes out there that have chocolate pressed into them where you do this.

thoughts?

these do look awesome though i'll have to try them.

thanks!

Karin says:

These are right up my ally. I have a question for you Kate and Sara- when you make your yummy sweet treats what do you do with the extras? I love to bake but always wish it just made enough for my fam to each just have one. I am a bit lacking in self control :)

Crystal says:

Yummy!! I just bought a bag of those kisses just because I love the chocolate mint combo and they are so festive!! This was just perfect timing for this recipe, as I was trying to decide what cookie to make this year for my cookie exchange party….this is it!!!! Thanks for all the great recipes….I just love trying out new ones!!!

Kelli says:

Kate!
    These cookies look like a lot of fun–but I'm actually posting because if you're turning 30 this year and went to BYU and were into English and Horticulture, then our paths must have crossed because I did all those things too! Weird! I really don't know you from anywhere except this blog, which I stumbled across a few months ago while searching for a frosting recipe…but seriously there are some parallel universe things going on right now. :) I turned 30 in October, and it feels great so far. Congrats!

Chelsea says:

Wow, so yummy! I've never had these kisses but they look awesome. I'm glad you're planning on enjoying Christmas this year :)

Stacey says:

Um Kate, just FYI, you so don't have to wait for the kisses to solidify up again. I eat these but the PB chocolate kiss ones and they are the BEST while still a little soft. Like, I eat half the batch within the first half hour as they are coming out of the oven.
    I can't wait to try these. I hope the kisses have made it to our little town grocer.

Natalie says:

These look yummy. Can you make this recipe without using shortening? Love your website and I can't wait to get your cookbook.
    Thanks,
    Natalie

Kira says:

Happy birthday Kate! I love how festive these look. To make them all year round, I just break Andes mints in half and bury them in the middle of my chocolate cookies. Then when people bite into them they get a minty surprise. But I've never tried Sara's Cadbury cookie recipe…guess I need to get on the ball!

Peggy says:

These sound insanely wonderful! I can totally understand the scrougeness and grinchness! I am so not feeling up to anything this year… new house (way too small!!), new location, my first born driving and half way done w/ his junior year in high school, 2 out of 3 in high school, 45 hit way harder than 40 or 30 did, and NO snow! But this too will pass, soon hopefully!
    So now I am off to make these cookies as I don't care for my old chocolate cookie recipe! Do they freeze well? 'Cause I need about 20 dozen or more between now and Christmas!! Yep school parties, youth group parties, adult sunday school parties, you name it We got it!

Thank you!!!

Naomi says:

These look so yummy! Can't wait to try them. I love the cute holiday box you have them in. Would you mind sharing where you got them? Would love to have some like that to send around to neighbors this holiday season.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Karin–Hahaha, good question! :) I usually save about a dozen for my family and then bring the rest to school/church/work/neighbors. It's seriously a great way to make friends, lol!

Kelli–Oh, my gosh, how FUNNY! I'm sure our paths totally did cross at some point (although Sara's the one who did horticulture).

Natalie–I really recommend using shortening. I know there's concern about trans-fat, but I believe Crisco is now free of trans-fats. Using Crisco really improves the texture; if you're really opposed to it, you could use a really high-quality margarine like Smart Balance.

Naomi–I believe the boxes came from Target, but I can't be 100% sure. :)

ewallner says:

I just pulled these little babies out of the oven. Amazing! Everyone I know is about to get them for Christmas gifts. Thank you so much for sharing. And, if I were to win today's awesome giveaway, they'll get those cookies in a super cute gift box! Yippee.

Rushell says:

Made them today! Soooooo good!

Heather :: AFD Jewelry :: says:

Those look so yummy!

Maple Leaf Mama says:

What a great website. Can't wait to try the recipes. The crafts are enticing as well. Keep up the great work!

Landegirl1 says:

These look amazing! Can't wait to make a batch or two, or three! YUM!

margot says:

I haven't seen dark chocolate chips anywhere! Is this a fruitless search? Are these actually semi-sweet? Help me!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Margot–I just got the Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips at Walmart. No worries if you're having a hard time finding them, just substitute semi-sweet.

Hope that helps! :)

Heather says:

Made these this morning and they are yummy! Just thought I'd share a few tips I found out along the way:

I did refrigerate my kisses and they still melted down and especially when moving them to the cooling rack. Oh well, still yummy!

Also, I found that they are ready to come out when they have a crackled looking surface but the cracks are still moist inside, just over 10 minutes for my AZ kitchen.

Thanks for the recipe!

Anna says:

LOVE these! I couldn't find the candy cane Kisses so used Andes mints instead. Tastes freaking awesome, even if they don't have the festive red-and-white thing going on. Did you know Cadbury finally wised-up and has CHRISTMAS colored chocolate balls now?! I'm getting a bag of those to use the next time I make these cookies. And I'll use the Andes mints again, too. This recipe is efinitely a keeper!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} says:

I have never seen these kisses & now it is essential that I go find them. Adorable cookies!

Colten and Melissa Rogers says:

Can you use regular shortening and not butter?
    These look so great and I want to make them for my cookie exchange tonight!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Colten and Melissa–These are definitely best with the shortening AND butter–the shortening for texture and butter for flavor. But they won't be awful if you use all shortening. :)

Melody Fury - GourmetFury.com says:

What a stunning holiday recipe! Would you like to submit it to my contest to win a cookbook? Just wanting to share the holiday cheer (and exposure to your blog) Would love for you to win :) http://ow.ly/3j61M

Brit says:

I made these and used the Candy Cane Kisses, but I also used the Chocolate Mint Truffle Kisses on some, soooo good!! :]

Cole says:

How do these freeze? I would like to make them now, freeze them and then give them to friends in 2 weeks. Will they still be good?
    Thanks,
    Cole, 14 years old.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hi, Cole! This freeze really well, so feel free to make them any time and just freeze them after they cool! :)

angela says:

Hey there,
    I made these and my husband said they "surpassed his expectations!!" They were delish!! However, they were super flat:( Any suggestions as to why that happened or how I can get them to now look like I sat on them?
    Angela

angela says:

PS. I got my kisses and dark chocolate chips at Kroger:)

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Angela–Any chance you could send us a picture? Did they spread out way too much? Did they ever puff up? That'll give me a better idea of how to help you.

That said…how fresh are your baking soda and baking powder?

angela says:

how do I send a pic? I don't know if you can tell very well in the pic though….
    Define fresh LOL. They aren't ancient, but I didn't buy them yesterday… it's hard to have them super fresh cuz I am always just using a little bit at a time… why don't they sell that stuff in itty bitty portions? geezh!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Angela, I totally hear you on selling it in smaller containers, haha! Try adding about 1 tsp. of baking powder to a cup of warm water. If it fizzes, it's still good; if it doesn't, you need a new can. Try adding 1 tsp. baking soda to some vinegar and same thing–if it reacts, it's still good.

Try those things and if your stuff is still good, send me a pic to general (at) ourbestbites (dot) com and we'll figure this out… :)

Nathan*s_Mommy says:

These are sooooo good. And pretty! Everyone that I made them for, loved them!!! Thanks for the recipe! :) :) :)

kirsten says:

these were a humungous hit at my office christmas party! I made them with my own choc. chip recipe, fudged to make them double chocolate, then I put the tray outside on the porch (-7C) to set up. 10 minutes later I had perfect cookies for gifting!

Monica says:

This recipe is amazing! Its perfect for my fiance in the military. I want to send some holiday cheer his way while he is away from the ones he loves. Thanks! =]

michelle says:

Would you recommend using unsalted sweet cream butter or salted butter?

Can't wait to make these!

Michelle- we generally us salted butter unless we specifically call for unsalted. But either will work just fine :)

MB says:

How do these freeze? They sound scrumptious and I was going to use the Andes Peppermint baking pieces instead of the kiss. But I am wondering if you've frozen them and then thawed for cookie trays.

Thanks! :)

MB says:

ooops. Guess I should have read all the comments. Saw up above that they freeze well! I'll report back how they came out with the Andes peppermint crunch pieces

ChrisKatieKelly says:

I do not like dark chocolate- would milk chocolate work in these cookies? They look YUMMY!

Yup- any chocolate will work!

MB says:

oh my word – these cookies are amazing! I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa and instead of chocolate chips I used Andes Peppermint Crunch baking chips. not only do they LOOK beautiful with the chocolate and the little red and white chips, but they taste DELICIOUS!

So glad I discovered this blog!!

Holly says:

I just made these…they taste divine and have a beautiful presentation to match! I froze the kisses for 15 minutes before and they definitely kept their shape better; still a little melty though. Thank you for another winner recipe!

Kate and Sara, you have both helped me create so many wonderful things in my kitchen. I love what you do and hope you are not calling it quits anytime soon :)

Ty and Ber says:

We made these for a cookie exchange with some friends. Super big hit. Everyone loved them! This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks.

The Fabulous Ms Amy says:

I have a zillion other things I should be doing today…so instead I made these cookies. OMG they are so freaking good! Just perfect! And they're cute to boot. :)

Axel says:

Just wanted to say that I made these last night (excepting the peppermint extract, because I couldn't find any), and they're wonderful.

Flora says:

These cookies are SO cute and I'm so excited that I found these candy cane kisses! I also found Nestle mint and dark chocolate chips which are AWESOME! I used these for the chocolate mint cupcake jars, and they worked really well!

Jenny says:

I made these for my Latin students to munch on during their final exam today, and they were delicious! I will definitely be making more of these to give as gifts to friends!

tranquilily says:

These are the cutest cookies ever! I just made them and I can't wait to share them with my friends! Thanks!

things that rhyme with orange says:

i just made these, but i made half with caramel hersheys kisses (that i froze for a bit before putting them on so they didn't explode caramel everywhere).

i've been told they're pretty much amazing. thanks for the recipe, you guys are awesome!!

marlise says:

I just finished making these for tonight's staff Christmas party. It may have been a mistake for me to sample one, because Wow! and Yummmm! I just hope I can show enough self-control to get more to the party than I put in my mouth.

Kimberly says:

I made these to add to my goodie plates this year and of course I had to try one. They are delicious. I don't love dark chocolate so I used semi-sweet chips and it was not too chocolately at all. Thanks for all the great recipes!

Familia Florian says:

I can not wait to make these!! How many cookies does this recepie serve? ? ?

familia florian- 3-4 dozen.

I just made these and they turn out so great, beating off my kids until our Christmas party tomorrow. I mounded them onto a cake server with dome, looks great. I will recommend putting the kisses on the cookies on a flat surface. I did it first on my cooling rack and the cookies pressed through the grid a little. Next time I did it on my counter. I also noticed if you DON'T touch them or do jumping jacks in the kitchen they will firm up in the same shape they go on. You just have to be gentle and patient. I left mine to cool for a few hours. Thanks for doing the hard part, just found your blog a few weeks ago and I'm loving all your goodies. Can't wait to do the cupcakes in a jar.

Jenn says:

in candy cane kiss cookies…. can I use semi-sweet in place of dark chocolate chips in the recipe? I totally missed that part! Making those cookies tomorrow, thanks!

You bet Jenn! Any chocolate is good chocolate :)

ChrisKatieKelly says:

Whoa- made these today, and while they are yummy, they were very FLAT. I live in Colorado, could it have been the altitude that I didn't adjust for? Sad day!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

ChrisKatieKelly–Oh, what a bummer! I'm inclined to think it's probably *not* the altitude because I think people have had a lot of success at very high altitudes with these cookies. My guess is either your butter was too soft (or creamed for too long, thus becoming too soft) or your baking soda/powder is expired. To test them, dissolve some baking powder in water; if it reacts, it's still good. With baking soda, same thing, only use vinegar instead of water.

Of course, you can always try adding about 2 tablespoons of flour and see if that helps, too! :)

Hope that helps!

Lorie says:

We are making these RIGHT NOW! I can't wait!

I made these the other day for a party and they were a huge hit! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! :)

denise @ little ant design says:

I made 8 dz of these today and they were unbelievable. I didn't have peppermint extract so I left it out and I used semi sweet chocolate chips. Not only were the cookies delicious but they came out beautifully – love the cute candy cane kiss on the top! They were a big hit with my family and with those we shared them with.

Ang says:

Mine were incredibly delicious but also flat. How can you tell if your butter is too soft or has been creamed too long (I didn't know that was a possible issue…)?

Raaaaabin says:

These cookies are AMAZING! I finally tried them out for a Christmas party and we just couldn't get enough. This will definitely be a staple cookie recipe in our house.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Ang–your butter should be soft enough that you can press into it, but there should be some resistance. Also, when you're creaming your butter and sugar, you may notice that the sugar is starting to dissolve into the butter. That is when it's been creamed too long–you want to have distinct sugar granules in the butter.

Candice P. Ulishney says:

I wish you could buy the Hersheys Cand Cane Kisses all year. I know a lot of people who would buy them. I think they are losing money by only having them around the holidays.

Annie says:

Just found red, green, and white Cadbury eggs at the store! So excited to try these.

Sara Sander says:

Turned out perfectly and are absolutely delicious! The added peppermint extract just made it divine. Thank you!

Oooh, I’m a peppermint chocolate freak too! These look amazing and are so cute. Unfortunately my husband isn’t a big fan of peppermint and I just made candy cane cookies the other day, but perhaps I could make half the batch with the peppermint extract and peppermint kisses, and the other half with vanilla and hugs. Then everyone would be happy :D

Laurel says:

I think I need to move into your ward…

Allison says:

Ooohhhh Kate. These look so delicious…and the peppermint bark rice krispy treats…what to make first?! I usually just comment about how good everything tastes, but I wanted to add that your photography at OBB is always gorgeous and the site is so pleasing to look at it makes me want to spend all night looking up recipes! :) Speaking of recipes, going to make some of your guys’ yummy guiltless alfredo sauce right now. :) Thanks again!! :)

Kristine says:

Oh. My. Word. These bad boys are DELICIOUS!! I must have made mine super-size, I only got 3 dozen. :(

Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I made them this evening for a cookie exchange party. I just had to taste one. They are AWESOME!!!!!

Julia says:

what if you melted andes all over.

Hillary says:

So I had to substitute the dark chocolate chips for semi sweet since my husband will take white chocolate *gasp of horror* any day over dark chocolate. But these cookies are fabulous. I probably put my kisses in too soon because I ended up more with puddles of candy cane kisses than candy cane kisses on top. :P

mandy says:

Made these for a party this weekend and they were a huge hit! Thanks!

Just made these. They are tasty but maybe its my oven i swore it took like 15 minutes for them to cook through here in California.

Susan says:

these look yummy!!! are there any substitutes for 1/2 c. butter-flavored shortening?

Chelsea Jean says:

I just want you to know that I made these today after finding this recipe and oh, my goodness, did they taste incredible! =] I made them to ship them out to my boyfriend, who lives 3000 miles away, so I’ll update you with info about how they shipped and how much he liked them. Thank you for putting this recipe together! I will most certainly be stopping by your blog in the future, it’s so cute! :D

Mameelynn says:

Yum Yum Yum!!! I just got back from the store after seeing these and guess what I found? That’s right Christmas colored Cadbury balls (same as eggs but not egg shaped) I’m thinking I might have to add these and the kisses to make super christmas cookies!!! Thanks for the great recipe!

Stephanie says:

I finally made these! They are AWESOME! Thanks for yet another great Christmas baking tradition! Love you guys!! :)

alexis says:

they look yummy! i wish to make them.

Rhonda says:

Just popped my last batch of dough in the oven tonight (from hubby’s request:-). We absolutely love them as much as last year. However, I evidently shopped too late for the peppermint kisses as I couldn’t find them anywhere. I substituted the Dove Peppermint Bark squares, putting 1/2 of a square on each cookie. The squares cut cleaner with the chocolate side face up.

Cynthia says:

I LOVE these cookies…but to make it easier I have started using the Andee’s peppermint chips and mixing them in with the mini chips

[...] Candy Cane Kiss Cookies by Our Best Bites I made a version on EmJoyable last year but didn’t think to make chocolate cookies! [...]

Claudine says:

I made these for a family party today and they were AMAZING! They were the hit of the dessert table! So soft and chewy, I can’t wait to make them again, thanks!

[...] about 4 dozen cookies (Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites) Share this:SharePrintEmailPinterestStumbleUponTwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

[...] OK, let’s visit the Our Best Bites girls one more [...]

LindsayP says:

I made these to take to our ward Christmas party last night and they were one of the first cookies gone from the dessert table!! My husband said they were quite possibly the BEST cookie he’s ever had!! And this is coming from a guy who usually only requests plain chocolate chip cookies!

Deb C says:

Making my second batch of these today. The BEST Christmas cookie EVER. Everyone who has had one has asked for the recipe.

Emily S says:

I bought your new cookbook and I love it! I do have a quick question regarding the winter recipes, including this one. My husband hates anything peppermint (I KNOW!) so I was wondering if you have any suggestions for a substitute for those great recipes. I am not very creative with my cooking but I can follow a recipe really well! So, any help for me?! :)

inshirah says:

its superb i like it

Debra says:

These were amazing. I love them. My brother ate the first dozen right after they came out of the oven and had even more after dinner. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. It is definitely one of my favorites.

Kelly says:

These look great, and I am excited to try them, but I live in a higher elevation area. How would you adjust this recipe (along with the ginger spice cookie recipe) for higher altitudes?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Nicole says:

Made a batch of these for a holiday cookie exchange, and they were a huge hit! Thanks for making me look like an awesome baker!!

tanya says:

Love these! Quick tip- if you roll the balls of chocolate dough in powder sugar before baking they look even prettier with the kiss!!