Amazon flavor pack graphic

When Kate and I were in Logan, UT a couple of weeks ago, she took me to the Old Grist Mill, which is a charming bakery filled with homemade breads, cookies, and all that good stuff.  As she was buying a loaf of chocolate chip pumpkin bread, I was reminiscing about the fall season and how when I was in college, my roommates and I would always go to our local bakery and grab loaves of chocolate chip pumpkin bread and pretty much finish them off in a day (or maybe the car ride home.  Stop judging.)  I then realized how odd it was that neither of us had ever posted pumpkin bread recipes here on Our Best Bites seeing as it’s probably the thing I make the most in the fall months!  This is my go-to recipe.  I’ve tweaked it over the years so it’s just how I like it.  One of my complaints about pumpkin bread (and other quick breads in general) is that they are often so loaded with sugar and oil.  Don’t get me wrong, that certainly makes them delicious, but sometimes they become really heavy, dense, and overly sweet as a result. This one has plenty of sweetness, but it’s not overkill.  I also hate it when bread recipes use less than a full can of pumpkin, so this one is perfect with one whole can.  Also, it makes 2 loaves.  Because 2 is better than one.  There are a ton of tips in this post, so if you’re usually a skimmer, you may want to take the time to read, or at least take note of the tip count!

Start by whisking the sugars together.  Brown sugar has a lot more moisture than white sugar does, and you might want to even use your fingers to break up any clumps.  I use a whisk so it’s nice and smooth and looks like sand.

Now we’ll add the wet ingredients to the sugar mixture.  One of my secrets to moist quick breads (and a lot of other things like muffins and cakes) is yogurt.  I use a 6 ounce container of vanilla yogurt, and you can use low-fat, regular, greek, take your pick.  It’s a great way to add sweetness and moisture without using additional sugar and oil and it really helps gives this bread a light and fluffy texture.  In a pinch you can sub sour cream, or plain yogurt.  I’ve even used flavors like banana when it’s all I had, and it’s not a huge deal!

Next in goes a few eggs, one can of pumpkin puree, and a little vegetable oil.

Use a whisk to mix that all up until it’s nice and smooth.

For the dry ingredients I use a mix of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour, but you can certainly use all all-purpose and nix the whole wheat if you don’t have any.  (I wouldn’t do the opposite though, and use all whole wheat).  I mentioned in my pumpkin pancake post that whole wheat flour really goes well in baked pumpkin-y things, and that’s the case here too.  Use a whisk to mix the dry ingredients so all of the spices are mixed in.  We’ve got cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in there, plus a little baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix them in.  I use a whisk at first, but then switch to a rubber spatula when it gets about to the point of the photo below on the right.  One trick for quick breads is to not over mix!  Use the spatula just until everything is combined and then stop.  Don’t get beater-crazy.

Last thing to do is add in the chocolate.  You can use regular chocolate chips or mini chips.  Sometimes I like the mini chips better because you get little bits of chocolate scattered throughout.  Then again, there’s something to be said about a big, melty, chunk of chocolate in there.  So on that note, I used jumbo chips this time around.

Now here’s another great tip.  A lot of times when you add chocolate chips to breads, cakes, and muffins, you’re bread will bake up beautifully and all of the chips will sink to the bottom.  To combat that problem, here’s an easy fix:  just toss a little flour in with your chips first. Once they’re coated, the flour helps suspend them in your batter.

Just fold them in gently and then pour the batter into 2 prepared pans.  I’ve shared this next tip before, but it’s a good one.  Another problem people sometimes have with quick breads is that they sink around the edges of the pan and then poof up in the middle.  If you’ve ever had that problem, try spraying your pans with nonstick spray but then take a paper towel and wipe away the grease on the top one inch of your pan.  It makes it so when the batter rises to that point, it has something to grab on to and will bake up nice and plump.

After I put the batter in the pan I like to toss a little extra chocolate on there.  I threw a few chips on there and then gave some a rough chop and threw those on as well.  I just like having some chips and also some little flecks of chocolate on top.

Into the oven it goes, and in about an hour you have this pretty thing:

Don’t pick those chocolate chips off.  You know you want to.  Let it cool for about 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edge of the pan and remove the bread. Let it cool on a cooling rack for a bit.

I like to dig in when it’s still a little warm.  If it’s piping hot, it will fall apart, but warm is like heaven.

The bread has a warm spice to it and those little pieces of chocolate are like tiny melt-in-your-mouth surprises.

And I’m gonna tell you right now, you should have some very soft almost-melted butter ready to slather on at least one piece.  Or all of them.  Because it’s “bread” (as opposed to chocolate-dotted cake in the shape of bread) so it’s perfectly acceptable to spread butter on that baby.

And since it makes 2 loaves, you can eat one and share one.  Or eat two.  Or eat one and hide one in a cupboard until your family isn’t watching and then hide in a dark closet and eat it yourself.  Don’t forget the butter.

(PS I’m kind of in love with those cute rainbow stripe napkins from Pine Cone Hill.)

LIme End Post Graphic

Carlee says:

This looks so yummy and perfect for autumn! I love this time of year when all the pumpkin flavored things come out!
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

Sandy Dell says:

Now this is something to look forward to for Fall! I’m excited to try it, I am positive it is delicious.

Suzanne says:

I’ll be making this TODAY :)

Ellie says:

Only about half my family are pumpkin lovers, but maybe the chocolate chips would help bring them around. If I were going to double it and use a 29 oz. can of pumpkin (because that’s what I already have), would you compensate for the missing ounce with an extra dollop of yogurt, a little extra oil, a spoonful of applesauce, something else, or nothing at all?

Also, they just announced that they are going to stream TOFW from Salt Lake this weekend so I’ll be able to watch you guys. It’s not the same as being there, obviously, but it’s definitely better than nothing. So excited!

Julie says:

Just made some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies last night …. was very disappointed to find your blog nor cookbooks do not have a recipe for pumpkin cookies. So, I dug thru my other cookbooks and found a recipe, but did not love the outcome.

Do you have a ‘go-to’ pumpkin cookie recipe you can share?

Will have to try to bread recipe … hey, maybe it can be used as a cookie recipe too (minus 2 eggs).

Heather says:

I’ve noticed in this post and in your chocolate truffle recipe you list chocolate chips. Seeing as I have only ever seen semi-sweet minis I just assumed that was your standard flavor. Is that a correct assumption? Which would you suggest in this recipe? Thanks.

Emilee says:

I haven’t made pumpkin chocolate chip bread yet this year, and I haven’t found a recipe that I’m in love with yet. I can’t wait to try this one!

Suzanne says:

I substitute unsweetened applesauce a lot for the oil in quick breads, would that be recommended to do here too?

That works well in a lot of recipes, and you can certainly try it here, but I personally wouldn’t. This recipe has a low amount of fat already (only 4 tablespoons per loaf) so it really needs it for texture. You can however sub applesauce for the yogurt, I’ve done that before and it works fine!

Frankie N. says:

Can’t wait to try this recipe. Question: How do you know how much yogurt or sour cream to substitute in a recipe?

Jeannette says:

YES! I was just looking the other week on here for this recipe and was sad to see there wasn’t one! Thanks for making my dreams come true today! :)

Paula says:

Did you use milk chocolate chips or semi sweet?

You can use any kind of chips you like. I personally use semi-sweet for almost all baked goods because I feel like most things are too sweet with milk.

• Paula says:

My husband is all about milk chocolate personally I love semi sweet and dark chocolate. I made this yesterday with semi sweet and he ate 3 pieces! I think milk chocolate tends to get lost in a recipe like this. I’ve had Old Grist Mill pumpkin chocolate chip bread and its very tasty. Did you try their peanut butter chocolate chip cookies? They are my favorite! And the cinnamon drop bread!

Darci day says:

Thanks for all the great tips!! So many great helps that I will use for sure. Thanks again for sharing all your great recipes…love em all!!!

gina says:

You noted this was “bread” so you can use butter =) LOL
    But I was wondering…. is the texture like bread or more like cake/muffins?

Thesha says:

We love pumpkin chocolate chip bread but don’t have a good recipe for it. I can’t wait to try yours. Thanks for the recipe!

Amy says:

I just finished eating the first crumbly pieces (ok, I admit I didn’t wait 10 minutes…I couldn’t, I’m weak) and this was epic. I did my tweaks to it, as I’m diabetic and also we didn’t have any ground cinnamon and really, paired with the butter(yes!!) and a hot cup of coffee, I’m a happy mama. I’d love to put this on my blog with my diabetic tweaks, if that’s ok? Well done!!

Lisa Clawson says:

What!!! You were in Logan and you went to OGM. I might be biased because I own the Great Harvest in Logan, but I would have loved to treat you girls to a Swede Turkey Pesto Sandwich and a loaf of Pumpkin Chocolate Chip. Teasing (kind of), but next time, lunch is on me:) Thanks for your fun recipes and cookbooks:! Love your guts-Lisa

Esther L says:

Thank you for this recipe! I was trying to figure out what to bake my father-in-law as a thank you for getting my husband and me some hard to come by football tickets and this will be perfect! Even better, it makes two loaves, so I won’t feel the least bit guilty eating the first one (you know–like quality control :)) before gifting the second. Thanks bunches!

Esther L. says:

Update: I made this for both my family and my in-laws. My father-in-law said it was the best he’s ever eaten. That’s high praise from a man who very rarely eats sweets. This recipe totally knocked it out of the ballpark! Thanks girls!

Makinzee says:

Pumpkin Bread was on my 2 do list today. YUM, thanks for a new recipe to try. Mine has OJ in it instead of yogurt. Can’t wait to try yogurt! I love yogurt in the cake recipes I’m sure I’ll love this too.

meredith says:

Oh … This is lovely … For so many reasons!! I’m really hoping that college bakery was great harvest because the pumpkin chocolate chip bread there is my daughters favorite!! I ‘m also signed up to bring a ‘cake’ for a halloween party cake-walk this week and this looks like ‘cake’ to me!! Perfect!! Thank you!!

Gayle says:

Oh Yum!! I am going to make these for sure, but double the recipe and make muffins too — for my boys’ lunches hauled to school — I cook the muffins for about 17-20 minutes for regular size ones & 20-25 minutes for jumbo muffins. I love using yogurt in my muffins & quick breads too, adds such a nice moistness to it. Thanks so much for posting your recipe and sharing with us all.

Jenean says:

So glad I found your site! I’ve been searching for recipes to start “real” baking :) Love for you to visit my page. I’m posting your badge!

Leanna says:

I have Pumpkin Pie Spice…could I use that in place of the cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg? If so, how much should I use of the Pumpkin Pie Spice? Thanks! I’m so excited to make this using the real pumpkin puree I made myself using your wonderful tutorial on your site. =)

Janine says:

I always use 100% wheat flour in my pumpkin bread and it bakes up wonderfully. Soft white wheat does a superior job. Sprouted white wheat also has a light and fluffy texture.

Carie B. says:

This is one thing I miss, not living in Utah anymore…thanks ladies! I can’t wait to try the chocolate chip/flour trick.

Ned says:

This looks awesome!!!!

carrie says:

I just made this and it is awesome!! Super light and fluffy. I like that it’s not overly sweet but still sweet enough. I used vanilla greek yogurt, since that’s what I had. I really like the addition of wheat flour, too. Loved the butter w/ it. I also like to eat my pumpkin bread w/ whipped cream cheese. (I’ll just consider this ‘healthy’ since it has wheat flour and yogurt in it :))

April says:

Just yesterday I was thinking I needed a recipe for pumpkin bread. Thanks for fulfilling my pumpkin-y needs!

April says:

uummmm…I am now on my 2nd batch of this bread. It is delicious! Thanks for sharing.

garysgirl says:

This looks so good! I love the pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe on allrecipies.com , but it contains a ton of sugar & oil. I love how you put yogurt in this! :) And I love that you use whole wheat flour & how it makes 2 loaves!! :))

Shanda says:

Thank you so much for posting this!! I have been CRAVING pumpkin bread! I even came to your website on Monday to see if you had a recipe. You can’t imagine how thrilled I was when I saw this today! I am baking mine right now!!! :)

I was just thinking this morning that I needed something with pumpkin AND chocolate! Perfect timing!

Darci says:

Yummm! I think a weekly baking of this bread sounds like a good plan. Thanks for sharing the fabulous recipes for all to enjoy.

R. says:

Amen! I hate it when a recipe only uses part of a can of pumpkin! I can’t wait to try this and since it was SNOWING here in UT this morning it sounds like a great way to warm up the house.

Maria says:

I second that about using less than the whole can…drives me crazy! This looks so good and will be on my table this weekend!

Erika says:

That’s kind of freaky that you totally knew I wanted to dig out a melted chocolate chip from the top when it came out of the oven. Can’t wait to try this. Love the yogurt idea.

Pamela says:

In the oven right now!! Mmm….can someone speed up time please? :)

Nicole says:

So I was going to give in and make myself brownies today to get my chocolate fix, but saw this recipe and decided that it would result in less guilt but still meet my chocolate needs:) It’s delicious! Thank you!

Krista says:

I’m so excited for this weekend! I love your recipes, books, everything. I’ll be at TOFW and so excited to hear you talk. Will you also be sign there or just at Deseret Book? Thanks!

Patti says:

I am NEVER a skimmer! You already know that! Can’t wait to see you this weekend. We’re going to have a blast at TOFW (again!). This pumpkin bread is gorgeous, as are the napkins :-)

You can never go wrong with pumpkin bread! Always a favorite!

Holly says:

I really like the tip about wiping the spray off the top inch of the loaf pan. Maybe that is the solution to prettier banana bread at my house. I always eat it to the last crumb anyways but I think it could look better. Thanks!

Holly says:

I wanted to make pumpkin bread a couple weeks ago and, naturally, I came here first to find a recipe. I was sad you didn’t have one, but I found a good one elsewhere and am pleased to say I added chocolate chips all on my own. :) I’m excited to try this one! I have a feeling the yogurt will make it a moist and tender dream of pumpkin divinity.

K says:

Saw it. Craved it. Made it. Loved it.

Heidi hatch says:

Can’t wait to try this! I always have a hard time getting my quick breads out of the pan perfectly. It never fails that it will stick somewhere on the pan. Here is a tip I learned to help with that. After spraying the pan, line the bottom with parchment paper cut to the correct size and then spray again. My bread now comes out of the pan perfect and beautiful with out any sticking. Just thought I would share.

Kit says:

I will be trying this one for sure. My family loves the Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread from our Great Harvest up the road but if I can make my own any time I want and it be as good… Yum! Great Harvest will still be visited as there isn’t a bread I’ve tried and hadn’t liked there.

I made a double-batch this weekend as cupcakes for a ward meal, in France of all places, where people are really not used to eating pumpkin made into sweet treats. Every single one of my cupcakes disappeared! Luckily I had saved a small bag of them at home that my 9 month pregnant belly craved and devoured over the next two days!

Linda says:

Cupcakes sound good. I might have to try that. I did the recipe as noted except I changed out the WW flour with WWW flour (white whole wheat) since I didn’t have any WW flour on hand. The loaves are gorgeous and I walked into my kitchen at 5 AM to the wonderful aroma of pumpkin bread. Packing it to take to the office for my co-workers to enjoy. The only trick I found was getting the loaves out of the pan without smearing the soft chips on top–that took a little finesse. Thanks for the recipe it is a keeper! And I let some folks in Phoenix know of your trip. Hope you make it up to Portland some time too!

Allison Hicken says:

Thank you for the chocolate chip tip!! After making two failed rounds of zucchini chocolate chip bread this fall, I was about to give up on chocolate in bread since mine seemed to sink right to the bottom every time! My husband is going to love me when he finds this bread baking tonight!

Shanda says:

P.S. IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!! My family LOVED it, and I took with with me to mutual and it was devoured there as well! I’m making more today to take to neighbors. Thank you for this recipe!!! :)

Kara says:

This sounds amazing! I’m going to make it today.

Hallelujah! I’ve always wondered why my chocolate chips sink to the bottom of the bread. Thanks!

Rachel says:

My boys devoured an entire loaf in under 5 minutes. Thanks for the recipe!

Leslie says:

Made this last night! I only made 1 loaf–yest because I had leftover pumpkin from the last thing I made with Pumpkin–but it freezes well. I only had peach yogurt and it was a 4 oz so it worked perfect. I have to say…It is all gone. I better make 2 loaves next time!

Angie E. says:

Love the use of a whole can of pumpkin and LESS oil. Thank you!!

Kelsey says:

So far today this has made up at least 3/4 of my caloric intake.

Tammie says:

Sooo excited to see you at TOFW in Phoenix!!!! But I have to say I was super bummed to find out you will be at Desert Book while we are at the Friday night session of TOFW, I so wanted to get my books signed!

Hilary says:

Made this last night – it is so good!! I will defintly be making this again :)

Nan says:

I doubled the recipe and used the larger can of pumpkin (29 oz), nonfat plain Greek yogurt, and sprinkled a tiny bit of raw sugar on the top along with the chocolate chips for a little sparkle. Awesome! Thanks for another great recipe. A new family favorite.

Kelly says:

Made this on Wednesday, finished off one loaf by Thursday :) delicious!

Thanks for the chocolate chip tip…will try commenter’s idea for parchment paper next time bc bottom stuck to pan on one loaf… But still tasty. :)

Jenny says:

I’m not a baker but would love to try this! Can I do muffins instead of loaves with this recipe? Also is it better to use glass or metal loaf pans? Thanks so much.

marcella says:

Thank you for this! I just finished baking up a batch with mini chocolate chips. I baked it in mini-muffin pans (made 6 dozen) and they will be for tomorrows after the primary program treat. I think they’ll be a hit!

Julia says:

Oh my!!! Made this yesterday. I love how good the house smelled while baking it. Kept one loaf, gave one to my daughter in law. She loved it. It is so yummy. I’m going to make more tomorrow, but want to make some mini loaves to give away in the pans. How should I adjust cooking time and/or oven temp if at all? I saw some cute mini loaf pans at Michael’s.

melissa says:

you read my mind! my kids requested choc chip pumpkin bread this morning!!

Lynne Zuffranieri says:

I just made this today and it is the best! I made four small loaves and had enough left over for 3 jumbo muffins. The muffins were ready in 25 minutes and the small loves at 40 minutes. Very moist and extremely yummy!!!!

Julia H says:

I bought some ceramic mini loaf pans in beautiful Fall colors at Michael’s.
      They are 5 7/8″ x 3 1/2″ x 1 1/8″. Anyone have suggestions as to baking temp changes (if any) and baking time? I’d like to bake a bunch at the same time. Maybe I should try one seperately first & test it? Sugguestions welcomed! Want to give as gifts.
      Thanks!

Dawn says:

Another great pin from Pinterest! So yummy and yes the house smelled delish while they baked. My two little ones loved help measure and pour the ingredients. Then they sampled from each of their loaves. :) It was the perfect amount of chocolate and pumpkin. Adding to the make again file. Thanks for sharing.

Heather Wilcox says:

I’ve never been to TOFW so I’m curious, is there going to be a way to have you sign our books on Saturday? I’m so excited to see you guys! As I am going to be at the full weekend event I wont be able to go to the book signing :(

Meg says:

I made this tonight in honor of our pumpking carving tonight, and took the pumpkin from a 29oz can, plus used fat free plain greek yogurt. It is SOOOO good!!!!! Best I’ve had! Then, because we had extra pumpkin I made the pumpkin alfredo from your cookbook (maybe online too. . . i didn’t check) and it is to DIE for!!!! I’ve never used pumpkin in a savory dish and it is so good!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work, ladies! There are many grateful families!!

JConnolly says:

Made this to bring to work for a Monday morning treat and it went over VERY well. The “foodie” guy who I work with who only eats things with names I can’t pronounce said it was the best quick bread he’s had in a very long time (I won’t mention the fact that I’ve been bringing different breads into work about once a week for the past 2 months…ahem). Anyway, this is a definite MUST MAKE. Oh…also, I used the Gheridelli (sp?) semi-sweet chips that I bought at BJs because I had a coupon, and although they don’t say it on the bag, they are the larger sized chips (perhaps what was used in the post) and they are DELICIOUS. WAY better than Toll House. Just wanted to throw that recommendation out there for people.

Kristin says:

Made 4 loaves of this today (gave 2 away) … absolutely delicious. Couldn’t tell at all that there was wheat flour in them and the amount of chocolate was perfect. So perfectly moist. I will be making this often during the fall. Thank you for the great recipe that has definitely replaced the one I used to use!

Megan says:

Made this recipe yesterday and loved it! I’m excited to package up the second loaf to give away for a Halloween treat to friends.

Diane says:

Okay, I need some serious help. Pretty much every time I’ve made a pumpkin recipe this year I’ve had little crunchy things in it. What the heck? Do you know what the problem would be? It only happens in my pumpkin recipes and I cook and bake all the time, so I am 99% sure it isn’t egg shells. I am getting so frustrated with it because it seems like it is egg shells and I feel dumb serving it to anyone like that. I cannot figure out what it would be. Would you know by chance? I tried Googling it, but didn’t really know how to word that search. I just kept getting stuff about crunchy pumpkin seeds. Thanks for your help!

I have absolutely no clue! I’m sorry I’ve never encountered that before!

Cindy says:

You’re not crazy Diane! I have that same problem. ???

• Katherine says:

I’ve had this problem crop up suddenly once before. Drove me crazy. I started sifting the “dry” before mixing in with the “wets.” Thought it might be the organic sugar which has bigger crystals, but…

I believe it’s the NUTMEG. Depends on the brand. So, now I grate my own. Seems to have worked.

Jennifer M. says:

Diane, I’ve wondered the same thing! I am so careful about not getting eggshell in my batters, so I know it’s not that. I just think it’s stuff in the pumpkin puree. But I made this bread and didn’t have any little crunchies.

Anne says:

Delicious! I was going to give the second loaf away, but I couldn’t bear to part with it. :-) I’m not usually big on pumpkin baked goods, but this was the perfect balance of sweet and spiced.

Cathy Light says:

Sara, great recipe. I just left Danae at V3 Hair Studio in Meridian and she served us up a piece of this delicious bread. Fall is one of my favorite seasons — and the only time I use the ingredient “pumpkin.” I will certainly pass this along to my friends and clients.
    Happy Fall !
    Cathy Light

Lauren W says:

Hi Sara and Kate! I am an avid follower who never posts, but this recipe was SUCH a hit that I wanted to give you two some (well deserved) feedback. First of all – THANK YOU! Absolutely delicious and an especially wonderful texture. I have already forwarded the recipe and your blog onto two others in my office. I did want to note that, in my second batch, I substituted vanilla greek yogurt for added protein, and I only used 1 cup of sugar – still amazing. Then, for the third batch (I told you it was a hit), I switched 1/4 cup of the canola oil for 1/4 cup of applesauce (unsweetened). Still uses oil for the texture, but it literally knocked the calories per serving down by 100 calories (282 to 182 calories for a 1-inch thick slice). Thanks, again, and keep up the amazing work!

Kelly f says:

So I made this and it tastes delish! I used my 4 oz cup of coconut yogurt and 2 oz sour cream! Awesomeness. But my chips still all fell to the bottom even after coating with flour. Any tips?

Mandy W says:

just made my 2nd batch of this. The first was a disaster. I guess it was a rough morning for baking. I decided to use my mini loaf pans and filled them too full and they overflowed. Then I reread the ingredients and realized I left out the oil. Like I say, the first batch didn’t work out. Just made a new batch – oil included. I made one large loaf pan and 3 mini’s. The mini’s are out and the big one is finishing. They smell fabulous. My 8 year old is waiting to get her hands on a loaf. She loves everything pumpkin. Thanks for the recipe.

Kathryn says:

Yum! This is so good! I made this last week and my husband said the chocolate chips “take away from the pumpkin flavor.” Crazy man! So I ate both loaves myself! Then I made it again yesterday and left the chips out of one of the loaves. He says it’s fabulous but I haven’t tried it yet. I’m working on the loaf with chips and it’s more than halfway gone.

Audrey says:

I just made this yesterday and it turned out perfectly. Delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Theresa says:

I’ve been craving pumpkin bread for awhile now. I usually am lazy to bake/cook and end up spending $7 for a loaf at Great Harvest (it is delicious, though). Lately, I’ve been trying hard to watch my pennies and decided $7 is way too much for one loaf of choc. chip pumpkin bread. I made your zucchini bread recipe over the summer and loved it. So I knew that your pumpkin bread recipe would be a keeper, too. Just made 2 batches earlier today–YUMMO! Made one batch without choc. chips and added a orange & cinnamon glaze–delish! You guys are truly the best bites! Thanks for great recipes & great blog!

Mezhonce says:

I took a crack at making this evening…so I could assure they would come out good on turkey day.
    I followed instructions to the “T” with tips and all. It came out good. Not the best pumpkin bread I’ve had though :-( It was good but not OMG. I felt like it could’ve tasted more pumpkinee (if that makes sense).

I tried this and it was amazing. My oven is a total piece of trash because we have a rental house and hubby is a grad student (AKA we’re dirt poor) so I did end up over cooking a tiny bit (our freaking 10 lb turkey was fully cooked in an hour and a half-that was turning the temp down by 25 degrees too-I have to turn it down 25 on everything) but it was still amazing. I do think I’ll do a tiny bit less pumpkin next time or a little more flour-I used homemade puree which is a little more watery. I used 1 3/4 c which is the translation for this (and all recipes requiring the same amount-the amount I put in a pie). Just wanted to toss that out in case anyone else uses homemade and is wondering what to do :).

Nancy Mikkelsen says:

Have made this twice now and will be bringing to a holiday gathering tomorrow! I am a heavy sweet spice person (my pumpkin pies are very dark brown) so I doubled the spices in this and added in ginger and a little pumpkin pie spice as well. I also used Greek plain yogurt and added another splash of vanilla to compensate.

HEAVENLY stuff! I cannot wait to try a few other recipes here!!

Michelle says:

I’ve made this a couple times and its so incredibly divine. Doubled the recipe today for 4 loaves. Loved the fact that doubling it used a large can of pumpkin with none leftover. Still deciding whether to give some away to friends or freeze.

HW says:

I love this recipe and have made it a couple times!

Can you make a similar recipe that is as moist and good as this, but for a chocolate quick bread with chocolate chips?

Jessica says:

I love this bread it’s super easy and my family loves it!

Sarah says:

Love this recipe! I used vanilla greek yogurt, applesauce in place of oil and cut the white sugar back to 1 cup and it was deelish!!!!!! Soo yummy!! Thank you!!

Mary says:

I know you state not to use all whole wheat in place of all purpose flour, but can you use white wheat flour in place of the all purpose? It’s not as heavy as whole wheat.

Nikki says:

Just made this for the second time this week. It’s a hit! This time I used some pie Greek yogurt, and it’s really wonderful! I think that will be the flavor I always use in this recipe. Thanks, ladies!

shahira says:

can you post the nutritional info for your recipes including the pumpkin choc chip bread?

Shahira, you’ll have to calculate it yourself. Some of our recipes include nutritional info at the end, but it’s just a select few. Other than that, there are many programs online that you can use to calculate it yourself.

Megan says:

Excellent recipe. I made this substituting 1/2 cup buttermilk substitute (ie. 1 cup milk mixed with 1 Tbs vinegar and let sit for 5 min) because my fridge somehow completely lacked any kind of yogurt or even sour cream! that never happens I usually have at least something I can scrape the mold off, if you know what I mean. Anyway, it turned out beautifully. I hate how most of my quick bread recipes end up with a gooey uncooked blob right in the center or with a cooked center and a 1/4″ thick crust all around. This bread is amazing, thanks for posting it. It’s going into my recipe binder for sure.

Lachelle says:

I blended up a whole orange, peel and all and put it in the bread…didn’t change liquid or anything. It added a delightful orange flavor to the bread!

Catie says:

A friend and I decided to make this. We doubled it to make loafs to share with others as well. It smelt amazing in the oven and they look to of come out perfect. I can’t wait to taste it, this was the most simple recipe I’ve found for this kind of bread by far.

Jennifer Jensen says:

I made this today and it was divine! Thank you,

We made this today. I cooked it for 40 minutes and edges seemed burned..but the middle tastes great.

Beth Murray says:

Just made two loaves (one for us and the other for a friend). Thanks for sharing this excellent recipe. The bread is delish, and my whole house smells heavenly…who needs a Yankee Harvest Candle…not me.

This is the one I’ll be using for a long time to come! Always wondered how to get bread moist and not so sweet– Yogurt!!! I only made one loaf and forgot to cut the yogurt in half, using a full 6 ounces of plain unsweetened yogurt. Oh, so moist!!! I also cut out spices because I didn’t want that pumpkin pie taste. Absolutely delish. I can’t wait to make it again. Thanks Ladies for the great recipe!

Karen says:

Sara- I made these last year- loved them. Just read the post to my husband and he insisted that I write you a major “THANK YOU” for finally setting the record straight on the rules for buttering “bread”. He slathers butter on pumpkin choc. chip, banana nut, choc. zucchini……. you name it and he gets big grief from me and all of the kids-poor guy. Since I have always agreed with you and Kate, almost religiously, I might have to re-think a few things. haha

Karen says:

Just made it. Seemed like the outside was done before the inside. Not sure what I did wrong.
    Flavor is great but by the time the inside was cooked the outside was too dark.
    Any suggestions?

Carrie says:

Do you ever use mini loaf pans? If so, how many does this recipe make and how long do you cook them for? I want to try the smaller size so that I can give them to my friends and neighbors.

Tracie says:

This and your coconut lime banana bread are my go to sweet breads / muffins for gift giving and for my family. I make them at least twice a month – I’ll make them the night before I know I want to sleep in the next morning or the kids love them for lunches. I double the batch and freeze after they’ve completely cooled- they thaw in 1 hour. Thank you for these delicious and somewhat healthier sweet breads! LOVE THEM!!!

Julie says:

Made this last night and followed all your tips. Both loaves came out perfectly! The whole family loves it! Thanks so much!!

Tara says:

Thanks so much for this! I’ve made it twice and I just keep craving it!

Allison says:

Please don’t shoot me but I’m just not a fan of finding little wads of chocolate in my pumpkin bread…or in any bread or pancakes or even muffins. Terrific in chocolate chip cookies but I have my brain hard-wired to not look forward to them elsewhere…unless it’s straight out of the bag. I do, however, like the tartness of stumbling upon fresh cranberries in pumpkin bread. Do you suppose I could adapt your Pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe to my liking by simply subbing fresh cranberries in approximately the same volume as the chips? For years, I’ve used different recipes to incorporate cranberries but my argument, as yours, has always been that the bread is quite heavy and really sweeter than this diabetic needs or wants. I have concerns that the bread may not be moist enough without the fat from the chocolate chips. Have an opinion on this?

Lauren says:

Wow! This is the best chocolate chip pumpkin bread I have ever made. I did not have cloves, so I used pumpkin pie spice and it tasted great. Thank you for your amazing recipes.

WOW, WOW!!!! great looking bread. It looks so real and tasty. What a great bread masterpiece. Just Awesome!!!

Jana says:

Thanks for sharing. This looks really delicious, and I love all things pumpkin! I actually found this recipe looking for an apple bread recipe. I noticed that you don’t have one on this site. I have had some really delicious apple bread, and would love it if you ladies posted a recipe for it. Your quick bread recipes are amazing! I think the Coconut Lime Banana Bread is the best banana bread I have ever had in my life. So, I would love to see what you could do with apple bread. Thanks!

Ashley says:

Stupid question…but do you use the same amount of mini choc chips as regular chips?

Kiasa says:

I made this recipe and it was really good. I’ve made a few other pumpkin bread recipes and just didn’t like them and kind of gave up a few years ago. But I gave it a go and loved it. I’m back to make it again into mini loaves to give out to neighbors. My husband requested I leave out the chocolate chips this time–so we’ll give that a go! Thanks!