This salad was conceived when I needed to clean out my fridge. Sad but true. I had a whole bunch of stuff about to go bad as well as some leftover Old-Fashioned BBQ chicken last “fall.” I put “fall” in quotation marks because while the rest of the northern hemisphere was experiencing falling leaves and crisp, autumn air, I was still cohabitating with fire ants and mosquitoes in Satan’s Steam Room. So it was hot, it was muggy, and I wasn’t exactly in the cooking mood. Well, I threw this together, and it was up there with the top 5 most delicious things I’d ever eaten. Pretty good for lazy leftovers, right? The great thing is that you can really use whatever you have and/or whatever you like. Not crazy about hard-boiled eggs or blue cheese? Leave them out and replace them with something else in your fridge that’s about to join the Mold Fold.
BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad
– Leftover Old-Fashioned BBQ Chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces, or just brush your favorite bbq sauce on some chicken and grill it up.
– Leafy green lettuce (I like Romaine)
– Hard-boiled eggs; sliced, wedged, crumbled, chopped, whatever.
– Chopped green onions or sliced red onions
– Chopped tomatoes
– Blue cheese (if not using aforementioned dressing) or sharp cheddar cheese.
Wash and chop lettuce (if not buying pre-washed, pre-chopped lettuce). Blot with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Arrange lettuce on large dinner plates and add a handful of BBQ chicken. Arrange remaining ingredients on top–you can either keep all the toppings separate and let dinner-eaters mix it up (or not) according to their liking, or you can just go WILD and sprinkle everything on top. Serve with dressing and enjoy!