- Lettuce – I recommend any variety of leafy green lettuce. I like Romaine, by feel free to chop up some iceberg lettuce for a little extra crunch as well. For added ease, buy a package of pre-washed, pre-cut lettuce.
- BBQ Chicken – I made this salad with leftover Old-Fashioned BBQ Chicken Legs, but feel free to grill up some fresh chicken and brush with your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Flexible Toppings – You really can’t go wrong here. I’ve called for crumbled bacon, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, blue or sharp cheddar cheese, green onions and avocado. Feel free to add or substitute as needed based on what you have available. Some croutons or those little flatbreads on the side would both be good additions.
- Dressing – I recommend Blue Cheese Dressing, or a high-quality ranch, like this Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.
How To Make a BBQ Chicken Salad
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make this ahead? Since this recipe is designed around leftovers it is a perfect candidate for prepping ahead. The day before, make your dressing of choice, cook and chop your chicken, eggs, and bacon. Green onions, tomatoes, and cheese can be prepped the same day you plan to serve. Wash and chop lettuce and prepare avocados right before serving.
- Can I make it to serve a crowd? Absolutely. This salad would be great set up as a salad bar. (Pro tip- place your proteins at the end of the table so they will last longer. People tend to fill up their plates with whatever they come to first!) Follow the instructions above for prepping ahead.
This salad is perfect for lunches and weeknight dinners. If you’re looking for something similar, but a little more sophisticated, check out this BBQ Ranch Salad, which includes fried onions, corn, and black beans, among other yummy additions.
Don’t forget those dressings! World’s Best Zesty Blue Cheese Dressing, Buttermilk Ranch Dressing, or even Cafe Rio Copycat Creamy Tomatillo Dressing (Lime Cilantro Ranch) would be amazing.
Did You Make This?
I’d love to hear from you! Snap a picture and tag me on Instagram, then come back and give this recipe a rating!
A quick, flexible salad designed to use up leftover barbecued chicken.
- leftover Old-Fashioned BBQ Chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces, or just brush your favorite BBQ sauce on some chicken and grill it up.
- Blue Cheese Dressing, or a high-quality ranch, like this Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Leafy green lettuce (I like Romaine)
- Hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Chopped green onions or sliced red onions
- Chopped tomatoes
- Blue cheese (if not using aforementioned dressing) or sharp cheddar cheese
- Avocado cubes
- Crumbled bacon