This is one of those recipes that in my opinion, everyone needs in their repertoire (oh, automatic spell-check, how I love thee).  It’s super fast to put together, chances are you have everything on hand already, and it’s a knock-it-out-of-the-ballpark for both kids and adults.  This is my go-to dessert when I’m taking someone dinner after they’ve had a baby, or moved in to a new house, or just need some happiness on their doorstep.  I also love that if you cheat and buy pie crusts, they come in 2-packs and it’s really easy to double so you can eat one and share one, or make 2 for a crowd.  I’m sharing it today because it’s a perfect family Valentine’s Day treat!

Also, in case you haven’t gathered, it’s like a hot mess of cookie dough in a pie crust.  With ice cream on top.  Can’t go wrong there. (If this is all seeming familiar, I did at one point make a bite-sized version, very similar to this).  And now I’m thinking  Pie in a Jar.  Why haven’t I tried that before?!

This is about 10 times easier than making chocolate chip cookies.  And chocolate chip cookies aren’t even hard!  Start by beating a couple of eggs for about a minute.

Add in some sugar (both brown and white, because let’s face it, 2 sugars are better than one) and a little flour.

When those are nice and smooth, mix in some butter.  It’s important that your butter is soft.  Not melted, but not sort-of soft.  Just normal soft.  Thoroughly soft.  You could stir it with a spoon soft.  You want it to blend right in to the mixture.

Once that’s smooth (seriously we’re only at about 1.5 minutes here) add in chocolate chips and some toasted nuts.

“Wait Sara, I hate nuts!  My kids are allergic to nuts!  I am morally opposed to nuts!” Good for you.  Leave them out.  We’re talking about gooey cookie dough-ish deliciousness here.  Good with or without nuts people.

See that right there?  That’s the point in which you dunk your finger in.  I mean, a spoon.  Whatever.

Pop that mixture into your pie crust.  I’m lazy and bought mine at the store.  Don’t tell Kate.

I keep disposable pie pans on hand just for this very recipe.  You never know when you’ll need to take someone a cookie pie.

Bake it in the oven for about an hour.

I know what you’re thinking, not super impressive.  Just wait.  You will take one whiff and want to immediately dig a spoon into it.  Don’t do it!  First of all it’s not one of those desserts that you can totally pick the top off of and have no one notice (um…no I’ve never done that.  Why would you assume such things??) More importantly, it really does need time to set up.  It’s fantastic warm, but not piping hot.  It will actually fall apart if you try to serve it too hot.  So stick it on a cooling rack and be patient.  Go write a letter, count to one thousand, or lock yourself in the bathroom and try to french braid your own hair.

It actually tastes quite different when it’s warm vs. completely cooled.  When it’s warm, it melts the ice cream and it’s like eating a big bowl of half baked ooey gooey cookie dough.

Exhibit A:

When it’s cooled you can pick up the slices like a cookie.  It’s chewy and soft, with bits of crunchy, and sort of like an amazing bar cookie.

Exhibit B:

So.  Good.  Both ways.  I actually think it tastes much less rich when it’s cool.  Now go eat a cookie pie.

*There have been several comments about pies turning out runny.  First and foremost, follow the instructions, completely (no margarine or anything from a tub!) I’ve made a million of these and never had that happen so I honestly have no idea.  The recipe is correct as written, it comes straight from Nestle!  The only thing I can think of is that altitude might be a factor.  One reader suggested adding 2 Tbs of flour if you’re at a high altitude.  If anyone finds that solves their problem, let me know!

Todd and Shana says:

Um, I would so go make this right now if I didn't think the yummy smell would wake the whole house.

CJ says:

One of our faves. I almost always have the ingredients on hand so that is a plus.

♥♥ belinhagulosa ♥♥ says:

maravilha,adorei,bjokinhas

Ann says:

This is a favorite of our family. I love having all the ingredients on hand

Fotf says:

OOhhh that looks so good, another one to try :)

Martha says:

mmm, looks scrumptious!!

theblogisthenewblack says:

Cookie pie?! You roped me in!

Jenn says:

with the kind of week that I've been having, I think I might make this!

this sound DELICIOUS!

jmommy08 says:

So ironic that I just discovered your mini version of these yesterday. Either route I go, I think this is what I'm going to make for the neighbor who has snow blowed our walk and the apron to our driveway everytime it snowed this year. Choclate ooey gooey-ness in pie form – can you really go wrong with that?

This is my all-time favorite dessert. And once I learned how it was made it became decadently dangerous!!!

Jenna says:

Yummmm! How in the world have I never heard of this recipe?!

Morgan -Ing says:

My friend,I have 15 more post-partum pounds to lose and silly posts like this DO NOT HELP!

Brittany D'Lynne says:

Oh my gawd. That looks amazing. Valentine's Day dinner dessert chosen. Thanks so much!!

Libby says:

Yummmm! This looks great! Gonna have to save this to my Recipes to Try file ;)

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

That might be my ultimate weakness. Looks to die for!

Shelise says:

For some reason this reminds me of a sweet cheese ball I make. Obviously its totally different. I think it may have been the pecans. It looks delicious though… dang, I'm gonna have to try it.

April says:

Oh my….so early in my day to be thinking of sweet treats, but this is going on my short list to make!

Maria says:

Oh my! I need this in my life!

Shannon says:

My favorite cookie in the form of a pie??? Wowzers!

keepitsweet says:

Cookie pie with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream is just so good!

Alison says:

My kids would love this, and we're one of those families that think nuts in baked goods is a crime. Could I sub in oatmeal, or would that mess it up?

EVIL….

Preppy Pink Crocodile says:

That looks great! With so little flour I bet I can make it gluten free an never notice the difference

The Food Hunter says:

This truly does need to be part of everyone's repertoire

Spawns of Seaton says:

I posted a facebook plee for someone to make me this… we shall see what happens…

*Just Fran* says:

My teeth ache just looking at this. :-) But, I bet my FIL's sweet tooth will adore it. Thanks for sharing such a simple pleaser.

Carrian says:

ok, that looks too wonderful!

maddymulanix says:

You're killing me!!!

Meaghan Luby says:

looks outrageously delicious! thanks for sharing!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

Charlotte says:

Droolicious!

Crystal says:

Those look delicious, I think maybe I'll try making the mini version so I can incorporate it into my WW plan.

Kristi says:

I'm totally putting toffee bits and walnuts and chocolate chips in mine. I might not share… well maybe I'll make a second one to share. And maybe a mint double chocolate cookie version. Or white chocolate chips with macadamia nuts. oooh the possibilities! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jami Nato says:

O to the M to the G. ridiculous goodness.

Wendalyn says:

Looks fantastic I can't wait to try it.

Chelsea says:

I'm sitting here salivating. I love, love, love cookie dough and can't wait to try this.

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits says:

WOW! I wish I had some of this right now, looks amazing!

Kristie VanWagoner says:

Sugar is usually not my weakness but I think if I have one bite of this it will be shortly! Looks delish cannot wait to make it!

Julia says:

OH YUMMMMM. I will be making this very soon!

Vivienne says:

Oh my goodness! That looks absolutely scrumptious and right up hubby's and kids' alley! So perfect for a Valentine's Day dessert! Just printed out the recipe and can't wait to make it!

hilary says:

Do you think these would work as a mini-pie in the little glass canning jars??

Suki says:

I read this earlier today. Tonight I'm craving something sweet and this recipe popped in my mind. I immediately took the butter out of the fridge to soften (why does it have to take so dang long???) and then I take another look at the recipe. 1 hour to cook? Noooo!! And a pie crust… I want to be lazy and I don't even have a frozen one. So we'll see what happens without a pie crust. Now we'll see if my craving wins or the fact that it's already 8:47pm….

Haute Muslimah says:

Just baked them and waiting for it to be done so I can inhale it!

jillreynolds says:

I already know that my kids have a new favorite. Me? I am speechless.

Suki says:

I just had to follow up. Craving won. I don't think there was ever a choice. First off, I found a way to soften butter quickly here http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tip_how_to_soften_butter_quickly/ and it worked really well. I didn't use a pie crust and it still turned out yummy. I also didn't have chocolate chips but peanut butter chips. I love it. Hubby does too. Thank you!

A says:

Wow! I couldn't wait until Valentine's Day! I had to make it tonight and it was AMAZING! Thanks so much!

Kristan says:

"You never know when you'll need to take someone a cookie pie,"…this is why I love you.

Where has this been all my life?

It's cookie. It's pie. It's fabulous.

Kristan
    Cookbook Queen

P.S. I know people sometimes leave comments that say "oh, I'll have to make this!!" and you think they don't mean it, but I really DO mean it when I say, "oh, I'll have to make this!!"

Mama says:

I don't even know you and I LOVE YOU! I love the way you write, like I am your friend hanging out in your kitchen and we are conversing about this…
    You are so cute (I didn't see I picture, I can just tell) ;)
    I want to be your friend and visit…but I live in Nevada. oh well. I wanted you to know.
    and I love the cookie pie! who wouldn't, right?!
    -Angelina

Cat says:

I have been looking for something exactly like this. My husbands hates cakes, but loves chocolate chip cookies, so this will be perfect for his birthday! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I can't wait to try it out!

Colleen says:

This is one of our favorite family recipies. You can prepare the entire thing, cook it, allow it to cool, then wrap it in tin foil and then put it in a large ziplok and freeze for MONTHS! Take it out the night before a big event for no hassle dessert yum!!

Get Healthy with Heather says:

You out did yourself! This is devine :)

Stef says:

I love you! If I wasn't married with a 2 year old, I would marry your blog.

Natalie says:

I used to have this at a childhood friends house and have always wanted the recipe! Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to make it…. oh the memories… I hope its as delicious as I remember… because oh… I remember heaven! :)

Anna says:

Love the commentary- hilarious.I think I WILL try to braid my own hair whilst this is cooling, on Sunday,mmmmm……can I wait till Sunday?

cassidy says:

This looks delicious, but I'm wondering about the gooey-ness of it. I have an egg allergy and can't eat things like gooey brownies because the egg isn't baked enough. If I bake this longer to bake the egg more, will it not be as yummy?

Cassidy- the gooey factor doesn't come from the eggs, it's the fact that it has very little flour. So it's not that it's under-baked, it's the proportions. It bakes for an hour so that is *plenty* long to make sure eggs are cooked. Does that make sense?

Meadows08 says:

As soon as I read this post I went an gathered the ingredients and made it! It was so easy and turned out great!

Miss Meat and Potatoes says:

Chocolate heaven. Thanks for sharing!

Nichelle_Nichole says:

I can't wait for this! My husband and I are on Weight Watchers, but we are allowing ourselves this one evening to indulge. I can't wait for this chocolate deliciousness!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) says:

Evil. Absolute evil. And, yet I bookmark it for future reference…

2 Kids and Tired Cooks

Kevin says:

That pie looks so decadent and good!

Abby says:

Just made this! Can't wait to try it tomorrow!!

Stephanie Newton says:

I was going to go on a diet, but really…eating chocolate is so much better.

Marie says:

Making this today for my honey! Except I am substituting white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts for the pecans and chocolate chips. He better love it!

princesscreese says:

I tried to make this last night. I followed the directions exactly, except that I used an oreo cookie pie crust instead of a regular pie crust. I cooked it for almost 2 hours and it was still REALLY runny in the middle. I want to try it again for Valentine's dinner for my sister, but what did I do wrong, should there be more than 1/2 cup flour?

princesscreese- the recipe is correct as written, so there must have been a problem on your end. Just follow the instructions as written and I promise it will work :) Make sure you give it time to set up after it comes out of the oven as well.

Kelly says:

Awesome!! My husband loved it!!

Geneve says:

Oh. My. Gosh. This was so yummy! I just made it this weekend and my whole family loved it! Thank you!

muststartover says:

I made this yesterday and it was really runny. I cooked it even 20 minutes longer and let it sit in the fridge for over 2 hours. Does it matter what kind of butter you use?

As long as you are are using butter, real butter, as the recipe calls for you should be just fine!

lolavix says:

I used to make this all the time and decided to do so again after reading this post.

One thing, though. The crust should be "deep dish". Mine is cooking in the oven right now and I had to place a cookie sheet under it because I used a regular pie crust and it spilled into the oven. Once I saw it, I remembered that it needs to be a deep crust. If you search for the original recipe on the website, it does note a 4" crust.

I still can't wait to eat it with my family, though. I'm sure it'll still be good. ;-)

Amy says:

I am so happy you posted this!!! Made this tonight for my husband's Valentine's Day present as this is his FAVORITE dessert. It came out heavenly and there's leftovers for tomorrow!!

I would definitely remind people to let it set after you take it out of the oven. I think that might help with the runniness.

N. Dade says:

I made this over the weekend. I used the spenda 1/2 blends for both the white & brown sugar and used walnuts since that is what i had on hand. I also added a tsp of vanilla to the "batter". I've never made choc chip cookies w/o vanilla, so i had to throw some in there. The pie turned out perfectly & was very tasty. Thanks for the recipe.

Kathleen says:

I can almost smell this baking. I'm going to take to a church dinner on Friday Than ks so much.

Christi @ Love From The Oven says:

I actually almost licked the screen. Wow, that is insane! Going to have to make that soon, I just need to find a time to send the rest of my family out of the house for a few hours so that I can enjoy it all myself. :)

Lynn says:

I am loving this pie! Reminds me of a derby pie only without the alcohol!! either way yummy because it has chocolate!!

Leslie says:

I was thinking the same thing about the derby pie. I will be making this on the first Saturday in May (and a few times in between here and there).

what if I wanted to add coconut? would suggest making any other changes?

Emily, the only change I suggest is putting on some elastic waist pants. Because it will be good. haha

Brad says:

Mouth-watering pie! Looks so good!
    Brad Fallon

Jenn Zegowitz says:

I made this last night and I followed the recipe. the only thing I did different was add peanut butter chips instead of nuts. It did not come out at all. I cooked it longer then it said and when I put my knife in it came out clean, but the middle was like liquid butter. It never set even though I let it stand for over and hour. Not sure what went wrong. Does it need more flour. It was really like a pool of melted butter(I only put in the amount it said) I want to make it again, because it looks so yummy. Any hints?

I have absolutely no idea why some of you are ending up with runny pies! The recipe comes straight from Nestle and is correct as written:

The only thing I can think of is if you are not using real butter- but other than that, it's a mystery to me! It turns out every time for me!

Jenn Zegowitz says:

I am trying this recipe again. It is in the oven as we speak. So we will see if it turns out this time.

Chi-townRawlins says:

Made it and loved it. Soooooo good.

Heidi says:

Urgent question: I am making this awesome looking pie as pie in a jar– for a bunch of gifts. I will make sure to put "allow to cool" on the tags…but what about the freezing and putting directly in the oven? Is it enough like cookie dough that it will need to thaw? Anything else I am not thinking of that will be different than your apple and cherry pie in a jar variations? Thanks SO much! Love the website!

Heidi- I'm really not sure- I don't even know if it will freeze one. You might just want to test it first!

Heidi says:

Just wanted to let you know that I tested two types of this as pie in a jar– frozen straight to preheated oven and frozen, thawed, then to preheated oven. After thorough cooling, both turned out AWESOME! I will say I think the inidividualness (word? :)) of the pie in a jar's makes the chip separation more distinct, but the taste is terrific and I think they are going to make the perfect gifts tonight. Thanks so much!

rubberduckiecreations says:

I made this last night. Turned out amazing but I had to let it cook for another 30 minutes & even then it was a little runny. My oven tends to run hot so I was pretty surprised.

Cleona says:

I made this tonight. It turned out perfect. I followed direction exactly and used a regular size pie pan, not deep dish. YUMMY!

Sherilyn says:

I just made this tonight and mine is also very runny. I let it sit for an hour. I did use VERY soft margarine from a tub because I didn't have any butter. I will definately try this again using real butter.

Miranda says:

Just a word to the wise leaving out a 1/2 cup of butter will ruin this recipe. In case you were curious :/ I couldn’t figure out what I had done wrong. After bringing the pie home from a friend’s uneaten I noticed the stick of butter I failed to add. Yikes! I WILL be trying this again. I searched the recipe and comments but still have a silly question.If I use a frozen pie crust does it need to be completely defrosted before making this? After the last attempt I don’t want any other blunders keeping me from this goodness :)

Leslie M. says:

Miranda, I made this tonight and just pulled my crust out of the freezer shortly before starting the cookie dough. By the time I was done making the filling, the pie crust was thawed. It didn’t take long at all. I hope this helps! :)

Alexandra says:

This recipe was a winner with our family! Will definitely do it again…many times!!!

Lydia says:

This is my favorite so far! I can’t wait to try it!

Kym says:

I love this post! I love you! I love your food! I wish I had a pie crust! AAAAARGH! Must go shopping for pie crusts.

Michelle says:

Happy Pi Day! Just made three of these yesterday — two for my son’s Pi Day celebration at school and one for us to enjoy. So easy and so good! The plan was to have our pie today (on Pi Day), but it looked and smelled too good to wait. So, so, so glad we didn’t! This recipe is now in my go-to recipe file. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Mandi says:

I made this last night and it was amazing! Tasted just as good cold today, too. I only had one stick of real butter, so I used that and half a stick of margarine and didn’t have any problem with it setting up. We definitely will make this again! Thanks for all your awesome recipes!

Tiffany says:

Any chance this is similar to the CHOCOLATE CHIP PARADISE PIE® that Chili’s makes? I love that dessert!

Not quite – the paradise pie has coconut in it but I bet if you tossed some coconut in, and maybe baked it in a 8×8/9×9/9×13 depending on how thick you want it, it’d be like it!
    I made this for a baby shower with dark chocolate chips and it was GREAT! I’m actually going to make it to take to the new mommy tomorrow! :)

Isabelle Herrmann says:

This was soooo rich, delcious, and chocolately!!!

MrsRLL says:

Made this last night for some friends. We all L.O.V.E.D. it! Thanks for another great recipe.

Cassie & Family says:

WE LOVE THIS PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veronica says:

Have made it twice in two weeks!
    Absolutely, positively WONDERFUL!

Katie Mast says:

This was one of my favorite choc chip pies. I could not stop eating till it was gone. Cant wait to make it again. A big hit here in our house. So easy to.

Cody says:

I was looking for an easy dessert to take to a work potluck tomorrow and this will work fabulously. Love your writing style by the way- I laugh my way through the deliciousness :)

Liz says:

Being a novice gourmet chef (*wink*wink) I wanted to point out something that maybe was overlooked with those who said they had a runny center. At first I started to use the “cookie” paddle on my kitchen aid to beat the eggs (since this is a “cookie” pie). After a minute or so, I thought to myself that those eggs aren’t going to get “foamy”, just “beaten”! That’s when I changed to the “wisk” paddle, and lo and behold they started to foam (although, I think a more simplistic/visual term would be “frothy”). It makes sense that maybe the center wouldn’t set up if the eggs didn’t get their necessary bit of love in the beginning with the right paddle. Just a thought!

Ok I want this so bad! I do have a question though. could you add some coconut to make it more like a magic bar, hello dolly bar, whatever you want to call them.. or do you think that would mess it up. I love this webite! It make me drool everytime Im on it!! xoxo

Megan says:

Just tried it on Sunday. So easy and so good!! Brought it for dinner with friends and it was a huge hit.

Hollie says:

I think I know why some people’s pies are “runny”. I overbaked mine (or so I thought) at 7000 feet. Its definitely too dark on the top. Still, after complete cooling, did not set up to look like your photos. Is it possible, the runny pies are high altitude bakers who’ve not considered cutting the sugar? I think if I would’ve made some minor adjustments, it would’ve really helped. Just a thought…
    PS It was absolutely delicious ANYWAY. My kids and I will not have a problem finishing it off, tomorrow!

Denise says:

Made this last night and OH WOW…very good..very sweet…but very good!!

Sarah says:

I made these and mine too turned out like cookie soup even with the warning to follow directions. But I think I know what happened! I didn’t soften my butter enough so that it actually creamed with the sugars. It was slightly chunky but it was too late to obviously melt it more. Then comes cookie soup! So be warned, make sure your butter is melted enough.

Kate says:

What do you think about adding toffee bits to the dough instead of the nuts? Would that be too sweet?

You know- I’m not sure about toffee just because toffee bits sometimes do really weird things in baked goods. They tend to melt into sugar and change the consistency of things like this. So you could try it, but I have a feeling it might not turn out like you imagine. If you do end up giving it a shot- let us know!

Monsoon says:

I am definitely going to try this.. and I might try adding some Skor pieces or something “caramely” of the sort…. YUMMY!

Diana B says:

I was looking for a cookie pie recipe to make for my sister in law for her birthday tonight…this was perfect!!! Ironically, I have the Nestle cookbook with this in it, but it didn’t look as yummy in there!!

Diana B says:

OK, I made this earlier and it’s finishing in the oven right now….it smells like I am making fresh baked chocolate chip cookies in here!! I can’t WAIT to dive into this pie later on tonight!!

: unsticks tongue from screen :

Looks awesome!! And GMTA; I thought it would make a great pie in a jar, too!!

: drool :

Melissa R says:

I am making this pie right now, and after an hour it is still very very runny. I made just as the recipe stated and used real butter, not too soft, not too hard. I’m cooking it longer to see if it sets any more, but I’m thinking it’s not going to based on the other comments. Anyone come up with the reason why this keeps happening yet?

I made this over the weekend and thought I’d share what I found out. This dessert is very tasty, but also super rich (hello, stick and a half of butter!) so cut small slices or you might end up with a belly ache (ahem). I let this cool for about two hours before cutting into it, which seemed like a long time, but it was still a bit too wet and buttery. I wouldn’t say runny like others have commented, it was just very moist. But good! The next day it looked just like Sara’s second set of photos–like a nice and solid cookie bar. Personally I preferred it the second day (heated in the microwave for about 20 seconds to warm it up), but that’s just me. Thanks for the recipe!

Kristin says:

I adore this recipe!! Thanks for sharing!

As far as runny pies go, I haven’t had that problem with this particular recipe, but I have had it before with other pies. First you have to use real butter and not margarine, but if that doesn’t solve the problem then altitude is probably the problem. Either decrease the butter by 2 tablespoons or increase the flour by two tablespoons and you should be all set.

Sam says:

Just went to check on my pie and discovered it had overflowed all over the oven. :( Use a deep dish pie pan!

Sam says:

Update to my last comment—pie turned out great even though they overflowed. I did them for 65 mins. SO SO SO yummy!

April says:

I couldnt belive how great this turned out! How can something so easy be so scrumptious?

Brandie says:

I did a double batch WITH stick margarine. I added 1/4 cup extra flour to the double batch to be sure and upped the sugar slighty to match my regular cookie recipe. It turned out perfect!! I filled two frozen store bought pie pans and still had enough left over for a small batch of cookies. Also i used roughly cut almonds in place of the pecans. This is a perfect sinful recipe!

Hillary says:

You should try making this with chocolate and peanut butter chip mix…. Death by Cookie pie…. what a way to go!

Monica says:

So I want to make this as a single serving pie, how long do you suggest I cook it and what temp?

Happy Baker says:

OMG. I make a brownie pie and it is yummy. This looks awesome. Can’t wait to try it.

Ramsey says:

How long should you let it sit after it’s cooked? I want to time it right so that after dinner we can have a warm, but set up, piece of this delicious cookie pie.

Good question Ramsey- I’d say if it sits about 20 minutes it would still be warm, but set up. I’d just go by touch- feel the top and serve when it’s still just barely warm. Might even be more like 30 mins.

Erika says:

I made this yesterday and it was fantastic! Thanks!

jenn says:

I had this on the weekend, seriously, I can’t stand how GOOD it was!! It is a new favorite for sure!!

Amy Papale says:

This was out of this world! I made it for Mother’s Day and it was a hit! I had all of the ingredients on hand so it was a piece of cake (I mean pie) to make! It was so easy but got RAVE reviews from my family. I had one sliver left and heated it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and it was delish! I will make this over and over and over! Thank you!

May says:

I tried this recipe over the weekend, and the pie was literally gobbled up within an hour! My brother has actually tied it in first place with his FAVOURITE dessert in the world! Thank you for this fabulous blog.

Andrea says:

I made this yesterday and I think it actually tastes better today (if that’s possible)! I am in love with this and I really like that it uses what I typically have in the house. Thank you!

Jennifer B says:

I made this last week and it was fantastic! And so super easy. Thank you!

Melanie says:

Made this recipe for a group of friends and it was delicious! Thanks for the great recipe!

Brittany says:

I’m not entirely sure what “real” butter is, may I ask what brand you used for your cookie pie?

Real butter just means it’s real, like from a cow :) Not margarine or anything of the like. Use the good stuff!

Tiffany says:

HIYA! I’m new to your ladies bloginess of delishishness and ive tried a few of your things already and everyone has been totally awesome! I just had to comment on this tho because it was BEYOND AMAZING!! and rediculsously simple i was scared i was missing something lol. Oh and i used a grahm cracker crust and it was awesome :D

stephanie says:

I made this pie exactly as stated and it turned out PERFECT! Thank you so much for another great recipe.

luv2cook says:

I used a chocolate graham cracker crust…. and it was insanely delicious!

April Driggers says:

I was going to come see in the comments if anyone else was having an issue with a runny pie. I’ve made this four times and every time I’ve had to bake it about an hour and a half…. at least… right now we’re going past that. I use everything that it’s called for and live in Texas so the high-altitude doesn’t apply. Glad to see I’m not the only one having to deal with it… but it’s worth it.

Cajungirl3651 says:

Yum! Made this today. Not only easy but rave reviews. My daughter wants this for her birthday instead of cookie cake and it’s so much easier- not a problem! We didn’t have ice cream and I forgot to grab the whipped cream as we ran out the door, but since no one at the party reads this blog no one knew it was supposed tobe served with either-winning!

Shelli says:

Tried this tonight and it was a big hit. I will definitely be making this from here on out for family gatherings and such. It was very easy to make and tasted so good warm with vanilla ice cream. My mixture seemed a bit thin before adding it to the pie crust so I just added a tad bit more flour and baked it about 15 minutes longer and it turned out perfectly. For those with runny pies, make sure your oven is at the correct temp BEFORE putting it in and DO NOT open the oven while it is baking until after 1 hr. It is so important when baking to have your oven set at the right temp and to keep the heat in the oven.

Amy says:

This is freaking awesome!! I Googled how to make a pat-in-a-pan pie crust and then used your recipe for the filling. So good, so so good!!

Janet says:

Thanks so much for all of your tips! This has already become a family favorite!

Deanna says:

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness … look at all the yummy-ness. I have a feeling this pie will be a HUGE hit in my house. Thanks for such a easy peasy recipe. I’m a new follower : )

Laura says:

Should my pie crust be thawed??? Or is it okay to leave it frozen and fill it? Making this tomorrow and wasn’t sure on that part!

Amanda says:

I made these right after you posted them, and they were quite runny. I cooked them for an extra 15 minutes or so, until I was worried about the crust burning, and it was still quite runny. I live in UT, so maybe altitude played a factor like you said. Now that you updated it with the advice to put in a bit more flour, I am totally gonna give these another try!!! I have SOOO enjoyed making all the recipes in your cookbook, so much fun!

Amy says:

I made this for a Sunday night dessert. I had to put it in the fridge for a little while to get the pie to be more solid. I served it with homemade ice cream. It was soo good!

Heidi says:

Made 2 of these today, one for us and one for someone who just had a baby! It is delish and SO easy, will definitely be making this again! Thanks for sharing, love your blog!

Sydney says:

I LOVE your blog! I am so sad, though – my pie turned out runny too! I followed the recipe to a T (I think, anyway!) – except I left out the nuts. Could that have made the difference? One cup is an awful lot to leave out of a recipe that only consists of a total of a few cups of other ingredients. Maybe I should have substituted oatmeal or something? So sad. I’ll try again and report back if I learn anything…

Vanessa says:

I have not made this recipe yet, but when I make chocolate chip cookies and leave out the nuts I always add 1-2 tbs. of extra flour. You could also try using a little less butter. I usually only use 1/2 cup of butter when I’m making chocolate chip cookies and I think I might try that for this recipe.

ML says:

This is a wonderful recipe. Baked without the crust it is basically another wonderful, old-fashioned treat called congo bars–my mother and grandmother both made them–yum! I think this recipe has been on the back of the Nestle’s Chocolate Chips bag for years under the title Tollhouse Pie.

Chelsea says:

I just took this out of the oven and can’t wait to eat it! Mine was a little runny the first time I took it out (probably because I accidentally melted the butter in the microwave instead of softening it), so I added a little bit of flour and mixed it right there in the pan. ten minutes more in the oven and now it looks perfect. just waiting for it to set and cool. thanks so much!

KH says:

best.dessert.ever. seriously. i discovered this recipe a month ago and have made it for my family three times already. divine.

Vanessa says:

Oh. My. Goodness. I’ve been looking for a recipe like this! My husband’s favorite dessert is chocolate chip cookies and he loves {with a capital “L”} the Toll House Pie that a local restaurant serves. My first attempt at copying it at home was a complete disaster, and I’m so excited to find this recipe.

I have never made this recipe before, but I might be able to help with readers getting a runny pie. When I make chocolate chip cookies, I always add 1-2 tbs. of extra flour if I am making them without nuts. I have also learned {from experience, of course} that baked desserts come out much better when the butter is softened on the counter top instead of in the microwave.

I made this for a friend who had a baby and they LOVED it! It is going to be my new “take to people” dessert. Super fast and easy! Thanks!

Anna says:

Um, I just found your blog and somehow you KNEW if this showed up on the sidebar I would be forever hooked. Making this tomorrow with that pie crust i was wondering what to do with.
    Love your blog!

Erin says:

I made this tonight while house sitting and after the appropriate cook time the top was crusted but the inside was the runny. I think it was from the amount of butter. I used real butter and it literally oozed out of the pie. (I’m not complaining lol)
    Just wanted to note that butter could be some peoples problem…

Sarah says:

I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing this a day in advance? I’d like to mix it up tonight but bake to tomorrow. Has anyone tried it? Thanks!

Erica says:

I’m eating leftover cookie pie for lunch right this very moment (shhh!) and it is perfection! Thanks for sharing :)

julie says:

i did not read every comment, so i apologize if this is a duplicate.

i have had my eye on this recipe for a few weeks now and finally made it today. i made two pies; one) following your recipe exactly the way it’s written and two) using a dairy/soy free spread (earth balance)and dairy/soy free chocolate chips (enjoy life) for those in my family with dairy and soy food allergies. you could tell the batter of the non-dairy/soy pie was a bit runnier. both pies baked up golden brown. the non-dairy pie needed an additional 10 minutes to bake, as it was still somewhat wet when i poked it with a toothpick.

once cooled, i cut into both pies and they were equally set. i served both types of pie to my family who could eat dairy/soy, and didn’t tell them which was which. no one could tell. the only thing they noted that was different was the taste of the chocolate. i only had dark chocolate for the regular chocolate chips, so that definitely made a difference. my experiment would have been better if both kinds of chocolate chips were “milk” chocolate flavored chips. but i am pretty happy with the results. i also made some homemade coconut milk vanilla ice cream to go with it. yum-o!!!

i love your website and have been trying out several of your desserts for our “treat tuesday” summer activity. thank you for sharing!!

Tiffany Hunt says:

This pie had a good taste but like you said others have commented about it was super runny and didn’t set up!!

michele says:

I’ve made this five times since I found the recipe! Its perfectly decadent warm…….

oooh yummy~ this looks just like a pie I use to love at a restaurant..different name though…can’t wait to make this and find out if the taste is there…
    sounds and looks super yummy!
    and btw…I luv the way you write. totally diggin your sense of humor. glad I ran across your blog!

Cindy says:

I’m guessing this recipe needs light brown sugar instead of dark. I’ve made it a few times before and always used light but today I only had dark. The recipe didn’t specify but I have a runny pie and that’s the only difference from the times I made it and it was perfect.

Melody Pizzi says:

THANK YOU so much!!! My mom used to make this pie when I was younger, one year I asked her to make it in place of my birthday cake. I have been wanting to make one, but she is in a nursing home and we couldn’t find it in all her stuff. This will bring back some great memories.

Rachel M says:

I made this yesterday for a family event and it was a huge hit, especially with the kids. It was so easy to make – I almost felt like I was missing a step or something!

Sharon says:

Made it yesterday to bring to a dinner at our friends. We live at high altitude so I used an additional 2 tbs of flour. I used semi sweet chocolate chips, chopped pecans and threw in a dried fruit mix (1/2 cup) of cherries, blueberries and cranberries and served it with a small scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. It was amazing. I was hesitant to pull it out after the recommended time after all the runny comments so just to be sure let it go 1 hour 5 minutes and it was perfect. Will definitely make this again!!! Thanks!

Crystal says:

omgee! made this over the weekend & it was absolutely to die for! the family loved it and it was DEVOURED. i swear there were actual moans of pleasure coming from people as they at it…lol! thanks for always giving the best recipes to us!! hugs!

Dena says:

Another reason these could turn out runny, people are using melted butter instead of softened butter. I know this makes a difference in the cookies and also in my banana bread recipe.

Tiffany says:

this was delicious!! is there anyway you can make sure the chocolate chips don’t sink to the bottom?

Karen Kuilboer says:

I just baked two of these pies for dessert for a dinner party we were invited to. Although I found the pie to be too sweet (I can’t believe that I found ANYTHING to be too sweet!!), the host of the dinner party LOVED it!!! He asked his wife to get the recipe from me!! ;) Thanks again for sharing, and for having such a fun food blog!!

Aimee says:

OK I think I have an answer to the runny cookie pie problem…at least what fixed my runny pie. The first pie I made came out runny just like everybody else’s. I made a second one a few days later but made two changes. I beat the eggs for a much longer time and then I let the butter soften at room temperature instead of the microwave. And my pie was perfect! I think letting the butter soften at room temp was the key. I hope it helps somebody else! It could not be any more delicious–my family loved it!

Anna Rawlins says:

I just thought you should know of the abomination I’m creating tonight. I’m taking the Pecan Gingersnap crust from that there White Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake and pairing it with this (and removing the pecans from the cookie part of THIS recipe).
    I expect my face to fall off from deliciousness.

Stephanie P says:

Well I’m really bummed! I live at a high altitude so I took the suggestion to add more flour, and it still came out like soup. :( So weird!

Stephanie P says:

Update on previous comment– my pie did come out runny, but I put it back in the oven for another 30 mins and it worked perfectly. :)

Marybee says:

I tried this recipe for Thanksgiving, and ended up having to make another one because the first one disappeared so fast! I added coconut to the second one- super yummy!

Jeannie says:

This pie is awesome! If you do put the nuts in, the pie will overflow with baking. So the second time I baked this we were forced to eat some of the mixture right out of the bowl! Okay, I could have just put it in a deep dish pie shell, but I didn’t have one. P.S. I am posting today for the first time. Earlier today, first post was on world’s best diner rolls. Love your web site and have for years.

Nancy says:

One of my favorite pie recipes….so easy and most people have never had it before!! Thanks for sharing.

Sherri says:

Absolutely the best. SO GOOD!!!!

Holly W says:

I just made this to go with our weekly Sunday dinner. It was a huge hit. For those concerned about the runny factor – I live at high altitude (4500 feet) so I added 2 Tbsp flour, made sure the eggs I used were large (because they act as stabilizers) and baked it for 60 minutes. No problems at all with the pie being runny. My husband had two large helpings and my little boys were in heaven. Thanks for such a great, easy, dessert recipe.

Holly W says:

P.S. I also added 1/2 tsp. vanilla because I think vanilla makes cookies even better!

michelle says:

I live at 4700 ft elevation so I added the extra 2 Tbsp flour and it turned out perfectly! Actually doubled the recipe and put one in a deep dish pan, the other in a regular pie pan. The regular pan definitely turned out better. I don’t recommend the deep dish as the crust collapsed around the edges as there wasn’t enough filling. I made my own pastry which made it a little more time consuming but worth it.

Melissa says:

I live this !!!! We have made it for years but we make it in a bar pan in cut into but size pieces for family parties !!!

Sydni says:

It was a rainy cold day today, my husband begged me to bake something, of course I came to YOU to find a recipe and wow oh wow did I find A RECIPE! Not only was this SO EASY, but I had EVERYTHING on hand…now the best part…AMAZING. SERIOUSLY?! SO SIMPLE SO GOOD! Thank you guys for being the best!

Alex says:

I’ve had my eye on this pie for a while on my pinterest board. Finally tonight I made it and it was pretty….bland. I followed the recipe to a T and it was terribly runny, even after an hour of cooking. I didn’t want to cook it much longer because the pie was already pretty baked around the edges. Before I placed the pie filling in the oven I found it to be kinda bland (I usually can eat an entire tub of cookie dough so I figured I this would be similar in taste and it wasn’t). Wasn’t very impressed. Maybe one day I can try it again but the fact that other’s had the same problem makes me not want to waste my money on a medicore dessert.
    I certainly don’t mean to be rude in any way and if any other people have the same problem please let me know what you did to change it.

Kathy O'Neill says:

This is an all time favorite in our family for years…my recipe says to melt the butter and cool it to room temperature…this is how I’ve always made it and have never had it turn out runny! My question is about freezing these pies…I am making 16 of them for my daughter’s open house! The only request she made for her open house was to have chocolate chip pies instead of a cake!!!

if you get an Oreo crust from the store, the premade crust, it just adds to the amazing ness. My mom and I have been making this pie for about 5 years now.

Lindsay says:

I made this, but sadly didn’t get to have a very big piece. I took it to a church function and it was inhaled in minutes. Everyone raved. Looking forward to a bigger piece tomorrow when I make it for Thanksgiving!

Aimee says:

Loved this so easy and simple and delicious
    Make sure to let sit for about 20-30 min no poking or prodding because it will be like butter SOUP!!! On the inside If you don’t.

Jenny E. says:

Made this for dessert tonight, and it was awesome! Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

Kym says:

I’m making this tonight and after reading the comments through I went to the nestle site to see if there were any tips there about runny pie….the very first thing I noticed is that they specifically say that if you are using a frozen pie crust, make sure it is thawed first….this temperature difference (from putting the batter in a frozen crust) could drastically affect the “done ness” of the pie. Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to try it out!!

PS: I hope this isn’t a duplicate comment/tip…. I did my best to read through most of the comments. :)

I made my pie, and it overflowed quite a bit in the oven. So I googled the recipe and read it on the Nestle website too. It also says to use a DEEP DISH pie crust, which I didn’t know about. But I did notice just now a couple of comments above that say to do that.

Terri says:

Made your pie yesterday. The kids loved it for dessert last night. I did too and then again this morning for breakfast before my work out and then again for bruch after I got home. YUM!! I might have another piece before dinner.

regina Gen says:

I made this one snowy night for my Guys(my husband and 6 yr old) it was great.I uses white chocolate and dark chocolate because my little guy is allergic to nuts. Next time I’ll use the deep dish pie shell so I won’t have the overflow . Saying that this is going to be made over and over in my household.

Georgia says:

This was amazing! SO good! It was a tad runny, probably because I didn’t bake it long enough, but I really didn’t care. Awesome recipe :)

Courtney says:

So I’ve made this pie at least 5 other times but this time around I couldn’t find my usual recipe so I used this one and it is SUPER RUNNY. I’ll look into where my original recipe is but in Texas, I doubt altitude is the issue. Like, whoa runny.

I made this last night for the first time and I got really nervous when it came out runny baking it the length of time in the directions so I put it back in the oven for several more minutes and my knife came out with clear goo on it but I didn’t want it to burn so I put it in the fridge right out of the oven for a few min and it set pretty quickly but was still just the right temp to melt the ice cream on top just enough. We’ll see what it’s like today I left it in the fridge all night. I’m not in a high altitude and I used as real as you can get butter the only thing I did was use mostly organic ingredients and a deep pie crust which was perfect. My oven does run a little cooler so that might be why. Thanks for another great recipe! Excited to make your blueberry boy bait this week too!

Emma says:

That looks soooo delicious!!
    I love chocolate, prepared in every possible way!!
    I’ll try to make this specialty tonight!

[…] are set to go and by the looks of it, this year should be right up there in awesomeness with this (<—- deliveries accepted at LB […]

Erin says:

I make something very similar. Try adding a teaspoon of vanilla after the nuts. It’s amazing! Also for the people that say it won’t set try cooking it longer. Put foil on top so it doesn’t burn.

Melody says:

I made this for Christmas exactly as the recipe is written, and it was perfect. I had a small piece warm with ice cream, and one room temp. Both were great. Already sent the recipe to my sister in law. Everyone loved it! Will make again soon! Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Rachael Brooks says:

Have you ever tried this recipe with store bought cookie dough?

Barbara Huberty says:

I have tried both a glass and a tin pie plate, and both times the butter has overrun and dripped from the pan. Do you have any suggestions for this problem? I love the pie but it really made a mess of my oven.

I saw this and just made it!!! Holy smokes…so delicious. it came out perfect, made in a glass pie plate and not a single problem… THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!