- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced (any color)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1–2 jalapenos, minced
- 20 ounces ground turkey breast
- 8 ounces mushrooms, minced (about 2 heaping cups)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 28 ounce can tomatoes (not drained)
- 2 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 ounces beef broth (one box/carton)
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (make sure you’re not using pumpkin pie filling :))
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- optional: sour cream, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro or green onion, and fresh lime juice for serving
Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and jalapenos. Saute for about 5 minutes, until veggies are tender and fragrant. Add to slow cooker.
In same skillet, heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Add turkey and mushrooms and stir to combine. Sprinkle in cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, chili powder and smoked paprika. (note: the meat will taste very seasoned when done. Keep in mind these seasonings are not to flavor just the meat, they will season the entire pot of chili, so they are intentionally strong!) Add turkey mixture to slow cooker.
Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beans, broth, pumpkin, cinnamon, and cocoa powder to slow cooker and stir til combine. Place lid on pot and cook for 4-6 hours on high, or 8-10 on low. Slow-cookers vary greatly in temperature and cooking times, but really, the important thing to note is if the sweet potatoes are tender.
When done, turn off heat and let chili sit with lid off for 10-15 minutes to thicken. Season with additional salt to taste before serving. If desired, serve with sour cream, sliced avocados, and a small squirt of fresh lime juice, and any other toppings desired.
*”Sweet potatoes” and “yams” are often sold interchangeably depending on what part of the country you live in. Just buy whichever one is orange 🙂
It freezes beautifully, so I like to make the recipe and then freeze half for another night. You can certainly halve the recipe as well, which I recommend if you have a small slow cooker.
- Serving Size: 16
- Calories: 185kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 534mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 23mg