We are one month into summer vacation. Yes, this sounds like a status report from some exploratory mission or something. Sometimes that’s kind of how it feels. We have a long way to go, but by and large, we seem to be enjoying one another’s company. By and large.
My kids are always kind of shocked by the sheer amount of errands I run during the day; they usually miss it because they’re at school, but when they’re home, they get to run all the errands with me. And since we can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a Sonic where we live, we are always driving by Sonic and they are always asking if we can go. Always.
So we decided to start trying to make slushes at home. My favorite Sonic slush has always been the lemon berry, but I really love lime and strawberries together, so we decided to give that one a shot. And we’ve loved it–strawberries have been cheap and it’s been fun to make them at home. I will say that despite the fact that I used frozen berries in this picture, use fresh (or thawed) berries. This was an experiment gone horribly wrong. I shouldn’t do recipe experiments when photos are involved.
You’re going to need a pint of fresh strawberries, washed and hulled, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 1/4 cup simple syrup, 1/4 cup water, and some crushed ice. To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup water and 1 cup white sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. When the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is clear, allow to cool. Keep in a bottle or jar with a lid and use as needed.
Place the ingredients in the jar of a blender, ending with the ice, and blend until smooth. Serve immediately. Makes 3-4 servings.
A tangy, fresh, and tasty drink – perfect for those dog days of summer.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 juicy limes)*
- 1/4 cup simple syrup**
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups crushed ice
- *You can substitute lemons if you want to.
- **To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup water and 1 cup white sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. When the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is clear, allow to cool. Keep in a bottle with a lid and use as needed.
- Place ingredients in the jar of a blender, ending with the ice. Blend until smooth and serve with lime wedges.