This quick, easy, hearty, and satisfying stovetop lasagna will quickly become one of your family favorites!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound 10% lean ground sirloin
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage (if using link sausage, remove the casings)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 9–10 traditional curly-edged lasagna noodles (not no boil, not flat, just regular lasagna noodles)
- 1 cup water
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 8-ounce can Italian tomato sauce (with basil and oregano or Italian spices)
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- In a large skillet that has an accompanying lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are tender and the garlic is fragrant. Crumble the ground beef and Italian sausage into the skillet, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until the meat is completely cooked.
- Break the lasagna noodles into 1-2″ pieces and spread over the meat layer. Add the water, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then cover with the lid, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the noodles are cooked al dente.
- While the noodles are cooking, combine the ricotta, 1/2 cup of parmesan, and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheeses with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. When the pasta is completely cooked, dollop the ricotta cheese mixture over the meat and noodle mixture and sprinkle with the reserved parmesan and mozzarella. Remove from heat and cover the pan for 4-5 minutes or until the ricotta mixture softens and the other cheeses melt. Top with chopped fresh basil and serve.
- Serving Size: 8