Alfredo sauce is one of those things that I only splurge on in restaurants, and even then only once in a while. 1, because it always tastes so good (the jarred kind makes me gag) and 2, because that’s as often as my hips can handle it. I found out my favorite restaurant alfredo dish has a over a thousand calories and a whopping 55 grams of fat! However, Alfredo sauce is also one of those things that was always on my list of ‘things that should never be ‘light”.

Until this.

I hate it when people hand you some sort of baked good and say “you can’t even tell it’s light!” as you force something resembling cardboard into your mouth nodding and trying to smile reassuringly. I swear to you, our loyal readers, this is actually GOOD. Really good. It’s thick and creamy and flavorful, and I promise you, it really doesn’t taste light. Try me! It will change your life, and everyone will wonder how you can eat cream sauce several times a week and look so fabulous.

The last and final reason I love this sauce is because it’s so quick and easy. You can have it done in under 10 minutes, and it’s made with stuff you probably already have. And if you really don’t care about calories, go ahead and make it with whole milk. It’s still going to be waaay lighter than using cream, and it tastes extra delicious. I know because when I made it for these pictures I had extra whole milk left-over from ice cream so I tossed it in there. Yum!

Okay, I’ll stop yapping now.

milk, Parmesan cheese, butter, cream cheese, garlic, flour, salt.

The milk, flour, cream cheese and salt go in a blender

And the garlic and butter go in a pan for a quick sizzle.  Then you pour the milk mixture in there and heat it to thicken, and in goes the parm.  That’s it!

I use this sauce for so many things. Here’s a few ideas:

-Over pasta (obviously)
-As a dip for breadsticks
-As a sauce on pizza (this is the garlic cream sauce I was referring to in this recipe) and a half batch of sauce covers 2 medium pizza’s.
-Mix it with pesto for a creamy pesto sauce (so good)
-Mix it with marinara for a creamy marinara sauce

One time when we had dinner guests over with a bunch of kids, we did a pasta bar. I made a couple different pastas, a couple different meats, and then made this sauce, marinara, and pesto. Everyone had so much fun mixing and matching and combining. The adults could get fancy with alfredo-pesto over bow-ties and the kids could have plain ol’ spaghetti if they wanted to. Toss in some french bread and a salad and you have a really fun, and really easy meal!

This clocks in at around 100 calories for 1/4 C sauce!

Meagan says:

I love alfredo/garlic anything so I can’t wait to try this. I especially love it on pizza, breadsticks and pasta. I know, real original, but really yummy!

Erin says:

I "hide" vegetables in my alfredo sauce. I cube & cook chicken, and then I add cooked baby carrots, green beans, and olives (okay, olives aren't veggies). Then I mix in alfredo sauce and pour over noodles. My kids can hardly tell they are eating vegetables because they like alfredo sauce so much. And with this alfredo sauce recipe, I can eat even more because it is guiltless :)

Kate says:

I’m actually not the biggest fan of alfredo sauce, but part of that is that it always makes me feel sick afterwards because it’s so fatty and heavy, so I DEFINITELY need to give this a shot! Clark would love it. Sam (shockingly) does not like creamy pasta sauces.

Heather says:

I love pasta primavera, which I haven’t made in ages because of the cream. I’ll have to make it next week with this sauce!

Stephanie says:

Mmm, I love alfredo sauce on pizza, but I will have to try this sauce with your oh-so-yummy breadsticks that we love. Mmm, that’s making me hungry!

Kara says:

We decided to have Gnochi’s for lunch and I decided I wanted to make this because I’m not a huge fan of the store bought one we have in the fridge. This is so yummy!

Wendy says:

I’ve never made alfredo sauce because I knew how unhealthy it was. So, now I actually have no idea if I even like it or not… but I’m pretty sure Noal does. Happy birthday to him! BTW, he loves you Sara, any one who motivates me to cook is a goddess in his eyes.
    One question: how many servings does this recipe make, realistically.

becca says:

I wanted this recipe a while back and I couldn’t find it so I am so happy you put it up here! I love it most on your bbq pizzas… mmmmmm :D

Sara says:

Wendy- lol about Noal. Funny how food makes boys so happy!

Good question about the serving size, I always forget to include things like that.

When I use this to just make one big mixed-up pot of pasta, meat, veggies, etc. One batch of sauce makes enough to cover pasta serving 8, 1 Cup servings. If you like pasta more saucy, then it would be more like 6 servings.

Hopefully that helps I guess it depends on how much you use and what you’re putting it on, and also what you consider a serving size (if it’s a main dish, or a side dish, etc.)

Also, I should note, that when I make pizzas, I make a half-batch which covers 2 medium pizzas just perfect.

Lund Family says:

This stuff is so good. I love it!

Manda says:

I just made it, and it was good! I had some plain, and I added tomato sauce to some too. I was babysitting, and the kids ate a ton too. There were no leftovers. Thanks sara!

Kendell Wrae says:

i like it on mashed potatoes

Adrienne says:

I’m a different Adrienne, but I love Alfredo sauce and would even lick the pan it was made in. I like it with ravioli as well as adding cooked chicken and mushrooms to the sauce.

Heather says:

Oops, can’t edit comments.

Does this recipe double or triple ok? I want to make enough to freeze in smaller portions for a few dinners and then even smaller portions for lunches. Mixed with some elbow noodles and tossed in a thermos this would be an easy lunch for my son. He loves alfredo sauce!

Sara says:

Heather- I’ve doubled this many times and it works great. It just may take a little longer to thicken the milk/flour mix, but that’s it. Good idea!

malouf says:

This is so yummy! We had it tonight, and you REALLY can’t tell it’s a lighter version.
    Thanks for the recipe-no more of those icky packets of the powdered version for us!

Laura says:

The best pasta dish I ever had was raviolis with butternut squash sauce..it was SO good! I bet this will be similar. Can’t wait to try it.
    P.S. I read every word of this post.

liso. says:

Delicious! I made this tonight so we could try the Fall Alfredo… I love it, I was “tasting” it the whole time I was making it. Thanks! …will try the pizza with the leftover alfredo!

Angela says:

Sara,
    Thanks so much, it looks yummy. I’m so glad my friend connected me to your blog. Your posts are amazing with all the details and pictures. Thanks, cooking and reading recipes is hobby and addiction to me!

Diamond says:

This was light. No one would believe it, this tasted that good. Have you ever figured out the “food label” for it?

Our purple Cabernet noodles (home made and gluten free using grape flour) where a great contrast under the white sauce.

Sara says:

I haven’t calculated the food label for it, but I should. I’ll do that and edit this post. Your noodles sound amazing!

Aubri says:

I used this to make shrimp fettuccini…AMAZING! I made the sauce, boiled 12 oz noodles, then sauteed 1 lb of raw shrimp in 1 Tbs. of butter and 1 clove of pressed garlic, then tossed them all together. It was very close to the dish I order at my favorite Italian resturaunt, and I’m sure much less calories! Thank you!!

LuCDay says:

Sara, thank you! We had my father in law over last minute and I had no idea what I was going to make for dinner. I looked through your recipes and ended up making this delicious alfredo sauce with some chicken fettuccine and Kate’s breadsticks out of items I had in my pantry. Now I will be making them all the time, so yummy!

Lisa says:

Just tried tonight and LOVED it. I have been looking for a good alfredo recipe for a long time. I have enough left over for the alfredo pizza. So excited to try that. Thanks for all your great recipes.

KatieCable says:

Ok LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. I made the grilled pizza last week and my husband and I thought we'd died and gone to heaven. THANK YOU!

Quick question – do you think this would work with soy milk? I'm not super tolerant of dairy (the small amount of cheese would be ok) but the milk would be too much.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Katie- I bet it would work fine with soy milk. It would taste a bit different, but as far as thickening and everything, it should work. If you try it, come back and let us know!

Ruste says:

Ok, so after drooling over the thought of this for a few days, because I looovvveee alfredo sauce, I finally got around to making it tonight……wow. WOW. Seriously, you will NOT be disappointed. It is soooooo delicious I bet God himself uses this stuff as shampoo. Bravo!!

KatieCable says:

Ok – I'm back with the scoop on soy! So, this isn't really a great review, as I don't have the "real thing" to compare it to. But… my alfredo turned out quite nicely with soy milk! It was a little lumpy, but I think that was due to not blending the cream cheese enough (I'm impatient!). Thanks again for the recipe – my husband LOVED this over a little past and grilled veggies – yum!

bluechillies says:

I used this last night to make Tuna casserole and it worked beautifully. All my kids loved it and had seconds.
    Thanks for sharing. I hate buying the bottles they are so expensive.

Risa says:

This looks delish!

crazybug says:

Have to say that I was really skeptical of this… cream cheese in alfredo? But it is soooo very good! Kudos! My husband, mom, and dad all loved it! And I loved serving them a healthy alternative. The best part is, they didn't even notice anything was missing!

MammaDucky says:

Will definately try this one. My newest savior in efforts to cut fat and calories is that "new" Over the Moon milk. It is so thick and rich, you'll never believe it's 1% or skim. It results in MUCH richer and tastier low fat/low cal dishes. I'll be using it with this recipe! Thanks!!

Jenn says:

I just made this sauce for dinner and my whole family loved it. Even my picky ones asked for seconds. Awesome that it is lower in fat. Side note I used 1 1/4 cups of skim milk and 1/4 cup of half and half. Delicious thank you for the yummy recipe.

Meridee says:

I made this the other day and it was a hit! I did use skim milk because that is all I had and it still was yummy. I had too many of your tasty breadsticks dipped in this sauce. . .yikes!

Chaviva says:

I've become converted to the way of Alfredo … I never thought this would happen.

PS: Skim milk works fine :)

Lauren says:

just finished eating and it was deeeeeee-lish! great recipe!

Allie says:

I made this last night for the Baked Chicken Bacon Alfredo and it was AMAZING! Everyone loved it! But I do have a question-when I was making it it was nice and smooth.Then I added the parmesan, covered it, and let it sit for 10 mins like it said. And it turned kind of lumpy, like the parmesan didn't blend in completely or something. Did I do something wrong? It still tasted fantastic though!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Allie–Did you by any chance use the pre-shredded Parmesan cheese (like the kind that comes in a bag and it's with the other cheeses)? That happens to me when I use that cheese, so I've started grating it from a wedge, just for texture issues, but if I'm in a pinch, I just use the pre-shredded stuff because, like you said, it tastes the same! :)

Hope that helps!

Stephanie says:

So, being "food label" curious too, like Diamond, I checked the recipe on Calorie Count & here's what I found for 8 servings:
    Serving Size 59 g
    Calories 128
    Calories from Fat 84
    Total Fat 9.4g
    Saturated Fat 5.8g
    Cholesterol 29mg
    Sodium 536mg
    Total Carbs 4.1g
    Sugars 1.7g
    Protein 6.9g

Hope that helps! You can use Calorie Count for any recipe you have, which I frequently do when deciding whether to make it or not.

Stephanie

Dee says:

I've made this recipe so many times I know it by heart! We make a marinara sauce too, and do half & half with those sauces on the pasta. So delicious! I'm always telling people about this website. You do an awesome job!

Ribbons and Pigtails says:

We had this for dinner tonight and it was SUPER DUPER YUMMY!! I couldn't tell the difference between this and the alfredo I get at one of my favorite restaurants…plus the kids GOBBLED it up!!!

I am trying the Turkey Burgers tomorrow!!

Irish Mama says:

I just made this, and the sauce is beyond amazing. But I used it to make an "alfredo pot pie," which was heaven on a plate, and pretty simple. In a separate pan from the sauce, I cooked some boneless, skinless chicken thighs, seasoned with garlic powder and garlic salt, in olive oil. When done, I removed them to a plate, added a teeny bit of butter and then a package of sliced, fresh mushrooms and sauteed those. While they cooked, I diced up the chicken. Finally, I made the sauce. Once it was all ready, I put the chicken and mushrooms in a glass 9×13, poured the sauce over, and then put a layer of refrigerator crescent rolls over the top. Baked at 375 for 11 minutes, and VOILA. One of the best dinners I've ever made. And that sauce really brought the whole thing together – it was DIVINE.

BTW, I used skim milk, b/c it's all we ever buy, and it was still amazing and thickened up nicely.

Michelle

Anna says:

I was thoroughly impressed with this recipe. You're absolutely right–it does NOT taste "lite"! I ended up adding a bit more salt and a bit more cheese upon serving but still, the best homemade alfredo I have made… and I have tried dozens of recipes!

Shara says:

I just made this sauce and used Onion and Chive cream cheese – yum!

Laura says:

Another fan! The last few tries I have had at making Alfredo have been bleh, blah, and belch. This is the first time I have had success and its light! How awesome is that. Thanks!

Kendra says:

Wondering if you could use fat free cream cheese and fat free milk. Should I not chance it?

PS, just found your blog. I'm a recipe blogger too. So, i'll have to make it and blog about it. (:

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Kendra–Don't chance it :). Just use 1% and low-fat cream cheese. You'll thank us, we promise. :)

Jennifer Peters says:

I only had the fat free options in my fridge, so I used them. I thought it tasted delicious and it got rave reviews from my son and husband.

Kate says:

I have a question… Would marscapone cheese work in lieu of cream cheese?

I'm probably one of about 4 people on the planet who LOATHES cream cheese. I once used some cream cheese that was in the fridge (for a dip) in a white sauce and it was all I could smell and taste. I had to stop eating (and before anyone asks- yes, the cream cheese was fresh!).

Soo yeah. Marscapone or other soft cheese– What do you think?

Angie Carson says:

I just found this recipe today, and made it for lunch for my son, who is home from school sick today. He loved it, and he's not even the alfredo-lover of the family!

I tweaked it a little–used seasoned salt instead of regular, added freshly ground black pepper, and tossed in a little of Tastefully Simple's Dried Tomato Pesto mix, just because I love the flavor it adds.

Also sauteed some mushrooms and red peppers while the sauce was simmering, and served it all over linguine, with sliced left-over grilled chicken. Mmmmm, good!

Darcy says:

This is SOOOO delicious. I topped penne pasta with this sauce and the brushetta recipe from this website. I didn't have parmesan cheese so I used the low fat feta in my fridge and it worked so well and had a mediterranean feel. I just learned about this blog from a friend and I totally owe her!

bridget {bake at 350} says:

Whoa….this sounds FABULOUS!!! Bookmarked, stumbled….and everything else I can think of! ;)

Eileen says:

I just made this for dinner, and i absolutely love it! I think it tastes better than the stuff in the restaurants, AND there is no comparison between this and the crap in jars. I love it! My husband was also a big fan, but wished I'd remember to mix in some shrimp. Thank you for the recipe!!!

Brenda Sue says:

I have a really dumb question….. In place of blending it in a blender, would an emersion blender do the same thing?? I ask because I do not have a blender, but I do have an emersion blender, which I LOVE!! Would it work?

cate says:

I didn’t mix mine all the way before I put in in the saucepan … just keep whisking at low heat until the cream cheese melts, then turn it up to cook the sauce. It worked well.

Brenda Sue- ya, that should work just fine. You just don't want any big chunks of cream cheese in there, so blend thoroughly and you'll be fine!

Jenny says:

Question…I've never bought anything other than the canned parmesan cheese and the pre-shredded in a bag. Is parmesan even available in a block form? And did you use the pre-shredded?

Jenny, yes you can buy fresh Parmesan, it's usually in a wedge. In some stores it's only available in the fancy cheese section in the deli. But in many cases you can find it in the regular cheese section and it's pretty inexpensive. I buy it at Walmart, Frigo brand and it's in a wedge with a green label, near the specialty cheeses, like blue cheese. It only costs about $2. You can use the crumbly canned stuff in this sauce, but avoid the pre-shredded stuff. It doesn't melt well and you'll end up with chunky sauce!

Katie says:

I want to use this sauce in your Chicken Penne Bake. I'm sure the original sauce is amazing, but when I calculated the calories it came out higher than where I like to be for our meals. So I'd like to sub this in instead – would it be enough to just double it for that recipe? Or more like triple (judging by 2 cups of milk in this one and 6 cups in the other). Thanks!!

Katie- ya I'd probably triple it just to make sure you have enough!

Crystal says:

I am making this for dinner tonight & am so excited because every recipe I get on your site is phenomenal! And a little FYI for those on Weight Watchers…it comes out to be approx. 7pts per serving w/a 4oz grilled chicken breast. Gonna serve it with some broccoli too. Woo-hoo…hubby is gonna love it!

Haleigh Burgon says:

Crystal,
      When you calculated the 7 points, is that just for the sauce and the chicken? Or does that include some pasta?

Abby says:

Just made this tonight for the first time. My husband and kids LOVED it! And I did, too, knowing it was guiltless!

Erin says:

I have to admit that I was skeptical about guiltless alfredo sauce, but my husband and I LOVED it! Thank you for sharing this recipe so we can enjoy fettuccini alfredo with a lot less calories!

[email protected] says:

yummm!

a really good friend of mine is on a diet and really wanted alfredo pasta so we made this!

it was delicious, and it was a "healthy" way to satisfy her craving! thanks! :)

Rebecca says:

Hi Sara! This looks great! I can't wait to try it. How do you usually keep your pasta fresh looking and warm at a pasta bar party? Do you just use olive oil, butter, or something? Thanks!

Rebecca, yep I usually just toss with a little olive oil. The key is eating right as soon as it's ready!

AdamHaneyDDS says:

I want to make this for a potluck lunch and am wondering how much pasta to cook for this amount of sauce. Thanks so much. Love your blog!

About 1 lb of pasta :)

Teresa says:

Made this for dinner tonight, my 5,6 and 9 year loved this! My hubby who isn't a Alfredo fan is taking the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I was surprised how easy it came together. I added diced chicken and it was perfect!

Michelle says:

I made a double recipe and my family loved it over fettucini. With the leftovers I added some homemade pesto I had in the freezer. It made a great creamy pesto sauce.

Anissa says:

This was DELICIOUS!!! I was blown away, and I'm typically not an alfredo fan. I'm thinking very seriously about making a massive batch of it and canning it in smaller jars. I hate buying the alfredo sauce from the store and only using half a jar. The leftover sauce sits in the fridge for about 2 weeks and then gets tossed.
    Even my super picky kids loved it. Thanks for another great recipe!

Kelli says:

AMAZING! This passed the I-don’t-like-anything-light test with my hubby! Making it again tonight! YUM!!!

Lisa says:

This was really fabulous! I made it tonight and still can’t believe how good it was. I’ve made the “full of guilt and shame” versions with sticks of butter and cups of cream and, although they tasted great, I felt horrible serving it to my family. This version made us all happy. Thank you!

Kelly says:

Of the many “guiltless” alfredos I’ve tried, this one is by far the absolute best. Thank you, thank you and thank you for giving me my favorite “treat” and not feeling too bad about it. I have yet to find a recipe that I donn’t like!!

Kelly says:

Oops, “don’t” like.

J Ehlers says:

I tried this recipe out of your book, Our Best Bites. I am hooked! I have never tried to make Alfredo sauce from scratch because it always looked too hard. This was easy to make and OH SO GOOD!
    The real Parmesan makes a huge difference. I splurged (when I usually substitute the Kraft kind) and am so glad I did.
    Thank you for a keeper!

Angy says:

Thank you for alfredo sauce. My kids LOVES it. My MIL (italian american) ate 2 bowls! Definitely use this recipe for a long time! *thumb ups*

Reg says:

This is a keeper! It was quick and easy. The entire family loved it. I brought the leftovers to my assistant, she scarfed it down and agreed! I almost like it better than the “real” thing because it isn’t rich and heavy. My tummy felt much better afterwards than it does with a cream version.

Lisanna Lauria says:

I can’t believe how creamy this “low fat” sauce is! I served it on linguini with broccoli and it was very tasty. I plan to use an alternative version (more cream cheese, no parmesan) on cauliflower and potatoes “au gratin”.

Can’t wait for tomorrow to eat the leftovers pasta! :)

Kayla Nichols says:

This sauce can be made Gluten-free by substituting Almond Meal or any other bean free flour substitute. The Almond meal adds an awesome flavor…I love this sauce for gluten free chicken alfredo pizza.

Suzanne Fisher says:

Each first Sunday of the month I gather together a group of friends for a potluck. Usually sometime on Saturday I start whining to my kids, ‘what should I make, what should I make?” While I have (very often) sent people to your site after their “ooo, they’re so cute!” and “what a great idea” comments regarding PIZOOKIES (of which the missionaries are particularly big fans)
    for some riduculous reason, I have never thought to look here for ideas!! BIG DUH. I’m a week ahead of time and already have ideas for entire rest of the year and it doesn’t matter how large the crowd gets! woo hoo – thanks for all your posts, ideas and time! you guys rock. oops, girls!

Jamie says:

I used this sauce to make a creamy chicken and spinach lasagna. I’ve had a recipe using a different sauce for a while, but I thought I would try it with your sauce instead. It was FANTASTIC! Loved it!

Thank you for all your wonderful recipes. My friend bought me your cookbook a few weeks ago and I have been pouring over it every day. We’ve tried several recipes and have found many winners. I love to cook and love trying new recipes, but I rarely find so many recipes from one source that are consistently amazing. Thank you and keep up the good work!

Laura says:

This was really good!! I licked the plate :)

Angela A. says:

I just made this for dinner but added pesto in the blender. Cooked some fresh mushrooms and set aside and in a separate pan I cooked some chicken breasts, chopped into squares and threw in some extra pesto (thank you Costco – easy, cheap and HUGE jar so you can freeze it) then threw in some garden tomatoes and let that simmer. In the mean time I made your recipe, added the mushrooms to the chicken tomato mixture and mixed it together… OH MY GOODNESS!! It was amazing! I served it over Costco’s chicken ravioli with spaghetti squash.

THANK YOU!!! It tasted really guilty but wasn’t at all compared to my regular (famous chain) recipe.

Keely says:

Yum! I made this last night and felt like I’d had a little piece of heaven! It’s so good! I just got my library to order your cookbook and can’t wait until it gets here! Love you girls!

Debbie Jackson says:

My family just loved this. What I loved the most was there was no grease left on our plates after we had finished, like the kind made with cream & butter.
    Winner, winner, winner.

Liz says:

I am on a low sodium diet and halfed the salt and used nosalt butter but it turned out AMAZING!!! I will make again thank you.

Danielle says:

Yum!! Best Alfredo sauce I ever made or tasted, definitely does not taste healthy I am so happy I can enjoy this sauce and not feel guilty ;)

Wendy says:

I’m a little slow on the up-take, but I found this recipe on Pinterest and knew I had to try it. My lighter-version-hating boyfriend and I used this sauce with lobster ravioli from Trader Joe’s, and when he caught a peak of the recipe, told me he was more than skeptical that it would taste good.

Much to both of our amazement, he LOVED it, told me it was a winner, and asked me to keep the recipe for the future. It seriously is SO good (especially compared to the icky jarred versions)!! Thank you for the recipe!

Andrea says:

I was skeptical but this was amazing! Even my toddler loved it. Thank you!

Rebecca says:

This was amazing! My toddler ate it right up too! Thank you so much! I’m never buying the jar stuff again!

Alayne Thomas says:

I found this site, and this recipe, via pinterest. I tried it and I LOVE IT! Quick question; can I make a bunch of this and then freezez it? Would it be any good that way? Just askin’ in case anyone else had tried it :)

Jasmine Shorten says:

Okay, so I feel like a loser because even though the taste was great, it turned out very runny. I followed the directions exactly and just went over it again to see if I did something wrong… I don’t think I did. I’m not that great of a cook anyway, so if you have any advice on thickening, that would be appreciated. (I did use skim milk instead of 1%, but a lot of other people mentioned they did too without any problems???)

You may have just not simmered it long enough Jasmine, sometimes you have to ignore the times mentioned and just cook it long enough for it to thicken.

Heather Hege says:

just wondering how much the recipes makes? wanted to make this for the family tonight and didnt know how many servings are in one batch. thanks!

Michelle says:

I’ve made this recipe many times (including last night), and I just love it!! I throw in a little extra garlic for good measure. :)

Just one comment to add- last night I was talking to my sister, and she told me that she made this too (I posted the recipe/link on my blog), but didn’t love it. She said it turned out grainy. My guess as to what went wrong was correct, which was that she used pre-grated cheese. I always freshly grate my Parmesan, and didn’t even think about the fact that it might not work with pre-grated cheese. I just updated my blog to say that I recommend always using FRESHLY grated cheese for this.

Amanda says:

I make this all the time and I always use pre-grated cheese. I have never had a problem. Did she use a blender to mix the flour in? Maybe it didn’t get mixed in well enough…

Sandie says:

Made this for my family tonight with grilled chickenmy son, the chef apprentice loved it.

Carolyn W says:

Hi ladies! Just had to share this: I was suppose to bring 10 cups of alfredo sauce to a teacher appreciation luncheon today. Not wanting to make that much sauce, I just bought several jars of the pre-made stuff. Well, this morning I opened one of the jars and just could not bring myself to take that to a luncheon with my name on it–yuck! So I checked your website (always my first stop for recipes!), ran to the store, and spent the morning making 4 batches of this. It is so delicious and now I am proud to bring it to the luncheon! Thanks for saving me today! :)

Suzanne says:

Made this for lunch today. Super awesome and delicious! And it was so quick and easy and I had all the ingredients easily on hand!

Arial says:

Made this last night for my hubby. In Guy Fieri fashion he said, “You could serve that on a flipflop”. If that’s not a seal of approval, I don’t know what is. :) Thanks!!!

Carla says:

Made this last night for my family (husband, 5 year old and 1 year old) and they all loved it! Had it with leftovers tonight and it was still delicious. Will be adding to our regular rotation, thanks!

rsinsp says:

I made this tonight for dinner. I never write comments but this was good I had to leave a comment. It was delicious! Thanks!

Jessie says:

I just made this for dinner tonight and had to come and say THANK YOU–this was amazingly good, and so SO easy! We all loved it (so much so that I completely forgot about the french bread we were supposed to be eating with it, which was the whole reason I made italian in the first place. Whoops! :)).

Kathleen says:

Oh. My. I’ll add my kudos to the pile. Can’t wait to try this on pizza.

amy says:

Excellent sauce! My picky husband loved it so much he had 2 plates full, scraped the plate clean and requested it be packed for his dinner tonight (3rd shift work)! It was the perfect amount and flavor mixed with the chicken, zucchini, squash, broccoli and whole wheat linguini.
    Thanks for this keeper!

emily says:

This sauce is soooooooooo good! Loved it!

Oh and I just been meaning to say…..I absolutely LOVE this website! I’m 16 and I’ve always liked to cook but it wasn’t until my mom bought your cookbook that I really started LOVING it! Each of us kids has our own “dinner night” at our house where we pick and make dinner. So whenever it was my turn I just turned to your book! And i loved every single recipe (except for the ones I screwed up on which kinda happens a lot lol! :) But I’ve got years to learn right?) Anyway I was in heaven with all those yummy recipes….but that was before I found this blog and HOLY COW!! I just can’t tell you how much I love everything on here! You two are amazing!!! I love just looking at the mouth watering pictures and I can’t wait to make every recipe!! Haha I’m kinda on this website a lot and sometimes my mom’ll ask me to get off the computer….”Mom I’m just on Best Bites”……”honey get off”……….”I’ll make dinner…;)” and you can take it from there haha:) Me and my sister have made a ton of your recipes and sometimes when we just feel like cooking somethin we just pull out the cookbook or the computer. Haha once she made your Guiltless Alfredo Sauce with fettuccine and it was soooooooo good! Our whole fam loved it! Now our little 3 yr old brother calls it “Megan’s Pasta” lol! Well I could go on forever on this blog but I probably should get goin on making dinner! Probably Creamy Chicken Taquitos tonight! =)

Lois says:

very very good! thank you!

Anonymous says:

Look at the difference in the ingredients lists. “low fat” is almost NEVER a healthier version! Try it. Read Philadelphia’s original cream cheese ingredients and them read the low fat one. Great, you consumed less calories but look what you traded them for. I think the recipe sounds good. But I’ll be trying it with the full fat versions of the dairy products. Life style and a good variety of lots of produce can more than make up for heavier meals every once in a while.

Haley Oakes says:

This recipe is fantastic. The only problem was that it made so much more than I needed. :) Do you think I could freeze this sauce or would it turn funky?

Rebecca says:

I just made this and it was so delicious, super easy and I had all the ingredients!!! Thank you! The best part; my little ones all loved it!

Lindsay says:

Made this tonight over chicken and spinach with angel hair pasta. The only cheese I had on hand was pre-shredded italian mix. It did leave some tiny little clumps but not huge enough that it was too noticeable. We all gobbled it up! I’m making another batch of it tomorrow to keep on hand in the freezer. I had no idea it was this easy!

Jerrica says:

I made this for dinner last night and it was a hit! My husband loved it! It was so delicious! :) Thanks for a yummy meal!

DianeM says:

This recipe for Smarter Fettuccine Alfredo from Kraft, uses fat free chicken broth, instead of milk. We love it, and it is truly delicious.

PastaGirl says:

Blech! Made this for the family last night, and we ended up having PB&Js. Too bland, even for someone who does not like spices. It had some good taste too it, but it needs to be perfected.

Jessica says:

I cannot wait to make this sauce…yummy! But, I have a question. For how long this sauce is good? For how long can I store the sauce in the fridge? Thanks!

Sarah A. says:

Just so you know, the link for the Asian BBQ Chicken Pizza in your post (where you said, “this is the garlic cream sauce I was referring to in this recipe”) is broken. Just thought you’d like to know! :)

Jessica says:

This sounds super delicious, and I’m going to try it regardless but, I don’t have a blender! What should I do!?

[...] Pasta with Guiltless Alfredo Sauce, bacon and cherry tomatoes; roasted beet salad with [...]

Andrea H. says:

Tried it. LOVED it. Will never eat store bought alfredo sauce again!

Ang says:

Such a great recipe! When I made this last night, I ended up with 2.5 cups of sauce. I used 1% milk. According to the WW recipe builder (5 servings) 1/2 cup is 5 points plus while (10 servings) 1/4 cup is 2 points plus.

Lane says:

I have to try this recipe this weekend! I love alfredo sauce and pretty cream sauces in general but the calories and fat are atrocious. The jar alfredo sauce is craptastic and sodium packed (low-sodium dieter here!). I made a creamy ground turkey and spinach angel hair bake with a diabetic version of alfredo sauce…..the sauce was…for lack of a better word…crap. I wanted to use the ground turkey, peppers, spinach, onions, garlic and angel hair mixture with mushrooms and sundried tomatoes but in skillet form with alfredo sauce but was loathe to use the jar or package. Thanks for giving me an alternative!!!

I love this alfredo sauce, I use it all the time! I make it with my immersion blender and use it for pasta sauce. So good. I most recently used it for shrimp pasta primavera.

I swear someday I’m going to use it to make a white pizza, if only I can get my husband to agree that a non-pepperoni pizza is still pizza. :)

[...] Guiltless Alfredo Sauce from Our Best Bites [...]

Theresa says:

I just made this tonight for the first time. It was so very delicious! My (very picky) husband loved it and said he felt fancy eating it. That’s a compliment. :) Thanks for taking the time to post these delicious recipes.

Rachel says:

Just made this last night – subbed in nonfat milk instead of lowfat, and ricotta cheese instead of cream cheese, mostly because that’s what we already had on hand :) Delicious, will definitely be making in the future – there’s so much you can do with this and so many fun ways to tweak!

Nidra says:

Just made this, it was DELICIOUS!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Kris says:

Just an FYI for those of us scatterbrained housewives that don’t always keep fresh parmesan on hand, I made this tonight and used the shameful Kraft shaker parm! Still turned out delish. I have made this the original way as well, not a huge noticeable difference. I also added a deli slice of harvarti cheese for a little more creaminess. I added 2 chopped zucchinis and a cup of cooked chicken to the garlic and sauteed it all together before the milk. So yummy!

Angela S says:

How much pesto do you add to make the creamy pesto sauce?

Pookie says:

I am new to the blog and have to say that I tried this recipe with some changes/alternative in the ingredents. I used tofutti cream cheese, almond milk, vegan butter, and wheat flour. I didn’t skimp on the romano cheese. I use an all nature ramono cheese. I have to say it was delicious. And I am not an Alfredo fan.
    Thank you. I will be trying anothe recipes from this site.

LoriAnne says:

We love this!! It’s also terrific with some thai chili red pepper flakes or sriacha sauce, as my hubby always wants things spicier!! :) Just wondering, does this freeze well??

Lydia Squires says:

Sara,
    Wow! My family and I loved the recipe. We will never go back to the jarred stuff, either. You are awesome! Thanks for sharing. God bless you! :-)

Warren says:

You absolutely don’t need a blender for this. That’s a lot of extra mess to clean up! Also no need for flour. I added milk, cream cheese, butter and garlic to a pan and heated it. I whisked it a bit to mix it all together and then once hot I added cheese. That’s all there is to it!

Tabitha says:

Has anyone tried freezing the sauce? Does it reheat well? I love this sauce and would love to have some on hand.

Thoughts?

Penny says:

The recipe is just what I was looking for and sounds wonderful yet healthy. However, I question the last picture. It looks like it contains blueberries or something else round and dark. From the preparation instructions and the pictures of the sauce on pasta, I wonder if this picture actually belongs with this recipe.

Nelly says:

Uh-mazing!!! Just made it tonight. Thank you.

Janet says:

Omg! This sauce was amazing. I will never buy a jar again.

Alexandra says:

For being 21 and still learning my way around the kitchen I definitely shocked my family when I made this recipe with chicken and fettuccine… best Alfredo recipe ive tried. thank you so much

Lynne says:

Didn’t use a blender, just a whisk. It turned out perfect! Delicious served over spinach fettucine with some black pepper and a side salad of mixed greens.

Scarlet says:

Was craving fettucine alfredo but wasn’t craving any of the fat that usually comes with it. But look no further– this sauce is IT! I just added onions, mushrooms, roasted brussel sprouts, just bc i personally need veggies in my pasta dishes but my family licked their plates clean!

Diane says:

I only used 2 T flour and it never got very thick. I also only used a heaping half teaspoon of salt, since the only other comparable recipe I tried tasted too salty, and I thought it was perfect. I can’t stop eating it. Yum.

Jackie says:

Just made this for my sister and brother in law, they loved it and had no idea it was the “healthy” version until the big reveal at the end.

Travis says:

I was so excited to read about a recipe for guiltless, healthy alfredo sauce. Alas, the recipe is greatly disappointing. Here’s why: Humans need about 5% of their nutrition (measured in calories) from fat. Yes, we do need fat, but only a very little amount. For example, a 150 pound person will only need about 75 calories (8.3 grams)per day from fat. The fact that your recipe calls for such high fat items such as cheese, butter, milk, etc. makes it very unhealthy. Please take a look at a recent article from the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (December 2013) for a discussion on obesity. Both of you women are attractive and healthy, but you are also young. To achieve optimum health requires attention to fat and to the use of animal food products. Take a look at a book titled: The China Study. Thanks for your work, and best of everything.

Sharilyn jones says:

My daughter is now eating gluten free foods. She loved this on Ronzoni gluten free pasta and grilled chicken! Yummy!!! The rest of the family enjoyed it, too!!!

Chris says:

I am extremely picky and for a lite recipe this really, really good! I tweaked it just a little. Used 1 cup 2% milk and 1 cup chicken broth, added a little white pepper and 3 ozs. of fat free sour cream. Oh, and 4 Tbsp. fresh chopped Parsley at the end. Soooo good! I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of the calories or fat in the original Guiltless recipe? Just wondering how guiltless it really is.

Neo says:

Please tell me how the hell is can be considered guiltless. Recipes like this make people think they’re making good choices when they don’t know better, and then they end up wondering how they’re fat when they’re being so careful. Sad.