Since Valentines day is on a weekend this year, I thought a special breakfast was a necessity! I still remember being a kid and having my Mom make us heart shaped toast, pink milk, and stuff like that. We love fancy breakfast days at our house, and Valentines day is the perfect excuse to go a little nuts. This was also the perfect excuse for me to come up with a recipe that I’ve been imagining in my head for a while now. I’ve seen and tried some recipes for chocolate waffles and here are my major complaints:
1. Too soft/soggy. So many turn out the texture of a pancake in waffle form. A good waffle should be light and slightly crispy on the outside, and soft and fluffy in the center.
2. Not chocolaty/sweet enough. Most just have enough cocoa powder in them to make them brown but they end up tasting like regular waffles.
3. Too complicated. The good ones are too much work for me! Melting chocolate, whipping egg whites, boo. I wanted a quick and easy recipe that tastes as good as the fancy ones.
So I came up with something I liked. If you’re looking for a new Valentines Day tradition, this just might be it. These come off the waffle iron feeling soft, and then magically get perfectly crisp on the plate and stay soft and chocolaty on the inside. I used mini-chocolate chips so they’d disperse better in the batter and you get tiny pockets of fudgy goodness. Plus, it’s easy. Mix the wet with the dry. That’s it! I’m so happy with how they turned out, these will be a keeper in our house for sure.
I made up an easy berry sauce to go with them because I love the slight tartness of the berries with the sweetness of the waffles. Gotta love chocolate and berries. These would also be out of this world as a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and this buttermilk caramel syrup. And this would be over the top with either the berries or the ice cream and caramel. Ooooh, I’m getting giddy just thinking about it.
(uh, ya. and pretend there’s some baking soda in this picture. Also, you can use non-fat/lowfat milk.
I just used vit. d for the picture’s sake)
Topping:
I drizzled mine with melted real butter (because c’mon, what isn’t improved with melted butter?!) and then some berries and sauce. Top with sweetened whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder if desired.
I have a standard 8″ round waffle iron and I got 4 full waffles (so 16 quarters) from this recipe. So if you’re cooking for a crowd, increase accordingly! Sometimes people assume they need a whole plate-sized waffle for every person, but remember these are sweet and filling, so 1 or 2 quarters may be fine for each person. For dessert with ice cream, one quarter should be enough.Edit: Tried it with the ice cream and buttermilk caramel syrup. Suspicions correct: Mind-numbingly delicious.

Seriously now folks. Click on this picture to enlarge it and look at that center! This is totally an excuse to eat brownies in the morning and call it breakfast.
Need a special drink too? Try it with some Sunrise Punch. Now that’s a Valentines breakfast!
Mix up a batch of this waffle mix for a one-of-a-kind gift idea!  You can download and print the cute labels for free, thanks to Lollychops.comClick here to find labels.

becca says:

I want these SOOOOOO bad. Can we PLEASE have them when I come visit??

MissouriMormonMama says:

I was planning on doing something fun for Valentine’s breakfast- and I think you just met a need I didn’t even know I had! Those look soooo yummy! I’ll definitely be trying those on Saturday.

Carolyn says:

Yum! Wow, that takes breakfast to a whole new level. I will have to try these! (maybe when morning sickness wears off, so I can enjoy them to the fullest :) lol). Delicious!

Nirvana's Kitchen says:

I can’t wait till the weekend so I have time to make this! They look so yummy!

Shannon says:

So this is what you were talking about yesterday! I made waffles this morning with frozen blueberries in them. I was feeling pretty good about myself till I clicked into your blog. These look fabulous! A must try. Thanks for the recipe.

Stephanie says:

Mmmmmm, these look heavenly!

jodi says:

Seriously, these treats are toooooo tempting! In Portugal they sell the yummiest Chocolate waffles so I’m excited to try these! Actually, I’ve been wondering why I’ve been crazing so many treats lately…perhaps it’s your fabulous posts with tempting pictures that are permeating my subconscious and fixating a desire to eat and eat and eat! :)

Sara says:

You’ve figured out our devious little plan Jodi,I’m glad it’s working! Muah ha ha ha ha!

Wehrle says:

These look sooo yummy! I am sure my kids will LOVE them as much as I will! Every year we do a “Red” dinner on Valentines night. I may have to have a fun food day all day this year! Thanks!

Eric says:

These are great! I’m so lucky to live in the test kitchen!

Heidi says:

I can’t wait to try these!

<br><br>my gourmet love affair says:

chocolate and berries! my two favorites combined…yum! a definitely must try :)

Erika says:

These looks soo good. Belgium Waffles are my all-time favorite breakfast food. I’ll definitely be trying these. They remind me of chocolate waffle cookies.

Amy says:

These look fabulous. I am curious about the cornstarch though. I have never heard of adding it to waffles. What does it do?

Sara says:

Amy- great question. I was going to talk about this in my post but I saw how long my post was and didn’t want to bore people!

There are a couple of ingredients in this recipe that are key to the perfect texture. One is the cornstarch, and the other is the oil (as opposed to butter). Those things both create a batter that becomes crisp on the outside and soft and airy in the middle.

Using butter and 100% flour in this recipe would result in a softer/soggier waffle.

Make sense?

Amy says:

Sara- Thanks for the insight. Your posts never bore, I love them.

Nathaly says:

YUM. These look so good. Can I use semi-sweet chocolate chips? Diego can’t have milk chocolate.

Sara says:

Nathaly,
    Any any kind of chocolate will work. Milk, semi-sweet, dark, can’t go wrong!

I used semi-sweet because I prefer it to milk chocolate.

Ben and Angela says:

These look delicious! I see Saturday breakfast coming my way. The only V-day food tradition we have is my mom would make a cute little “flower arrangement” out of those chocolate striped shortbread cookies and heart shaped gummies, way cute, and delicious

Okay, I got a little peeved that you didn’t add the nutritional info so I calculated it myself. Now I am very sad that I won’t be having them any time soon!! Boohoo!!

Sara says:

Valentines Day is for splurging! That’s the whole point! lol.

Lane, Amanda, Jackson, and Andrew says:

I am really looking forward to making these. I even bought a waffle iron for the occasion! Just wanted to let you know that I receive many compliments on your chicken fajitas and your tri-tip marinades! They are so tasty!!

jjcrew says:

You don’t heat up the berry sauce, eh??

Sara says:

jen- no, I don’t heat up the berry sauce. Since it’s mixed up ahead of time and sitting on the counter while I make the waffles, it’s at room temp by the time I serve it. I like that on a hot waffle with cold whipped cream, but you could certainly heat up the berries if you wanted to…

creativecarryout says:

This looks amazing! I need to get a waffle iron!
    Michelle

Laura says:

I have never seen anything more delicious in my life!!

Wendy says:

These turned out PERFECT! Thanks Sara.

aswenson says:

Could you possibly make these into pancakes rather than waffles?

aswensen- I've never tried it, but the thing that makes me doubtful is that the batter is much thinner than a pancake batter and I don't think it would hold its shape at all. I wish I had better news! You could always experiment…

aswenson says:

Thanks Sara! I may experiment and see how it goes!

jennie w. says:

These are just the thing for my new Texas-shaped waffle iron!

Little Becomes Much says:

THIS WAS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made it this morning for a Valentine's Breakfast for my family. WOW!!!!! Now I'm excited to try some of your other recipes. This was the first.

Thanks

Jodi says:

After I figured out not to put in too much batter at a time, and not open the lid until they were ready (my first trial cost me an hour clean-up scraping the crusted batter that had oozed out) I LOVED them! We actually opted for the vanilla ice cream version with buttermilk caramel syrup (aka HEAVEN) and it was a hit. I think people actually like me better now that I can seduce them with your delicious recipes. Now if only I could make my food look as delicious and perfect as it does in your pictures…

jangathing says:

Can you omit the chocolate and make a plain waffle?

Jangathing- You *can* but while this recipe makes an amazing chocolate waffle, I don't think it's the best plain waffle recipe- the batter will be really thin so you may need a few Tbs of flour to replace the coco powder.

Mindy says:

Amazing! Seriously amazing. I am posting these on The Sisters Cafe tomorrow. Thank you a million times for this fabulous recipe!

the blonde potato says:

Made these today for Valentines day breakfast and I think we have ourselves a new tradition! Deliciousness!! Thanks for helping me start my family's day with love in their belly!

Kate says:

Making these right now. Can’t see where the bkg soda goes in, I assume it’s with the dry ingredients? I love your recipes, thankyou!

Elizabeth says:

Holy Hambones!!! These are off the hook! I was trying to find a chocolate pancake recipe that I had used and really enjoyed and thought it was from your site. Long story longer…I could not find that recipe but stumbled upon your chocolate waffles. Incredible. I think my boys and I like them better that the pancakes. I served them with strawberry greek yogurt and they were awesome. A PERFECT Mother’s Day treat!! Thanks.

Megan says:

Okay that was like eating chocolate cake for breakfast! WOW! So delicious. I broke my “protein only for breakfast” this morning just for these. I couldn’t resist. thanks!

Georgia says:

Another AMAZINGLY, DELICIOUS, SINFUL recipe from ourbestbites. Best recipes anywhere!!! Thank you !

Lindsey says:

Made these this morning for my birthday breakfast, they were fabulous! Oh my goodness! The berry sauce may be my new favorite thing and was so easy! Thanks for the great recipe!

[...] Recipe and Inspiration from Our Best Bites. [...]

Anna says:

THESE ARE AMAZING!!!! THE PERFECT RECIPE!!! I MADE TWO BATCHES THIS MORNING! I DID A FRUIT MIX RATHER THAN A GLAZE BUT THIS IS NOW ONE OF MY FAVORITE RECIPES! THANKS FOR SHARING!

Andrea says:

Okay…leave it to me to mess up the easiest recipes; jello…rice…and waffles! I tried these tonight and they were a disaster. I mixed the ingredients exactly. I didn’t grease the waffle iron. I used my mom’s and it has a temperature dial so I went with medium (between light, dark, and medium). I ended up with half the batter stuck to the top plate and half stuck to the bottom. Sounds like commenter #33 initially had the same problem. What did I do wrong? The only thing I can think of is the temperature was wrong or I cooked the waffle too long or not long enough? Maybe I checked it too early? I’d appreciate some tips because this batter was yummy and I would love to figure out a way to make these turn out. I ended up trying to make pancakes instead and while they didn’t work well they sill tasted okay. Maybe someone has a suggestion on how high of heat to use or approximate cooking time? Thanks a bunch!