As a lot of you probably know, we moved to Louisiana about a year ago. When we announced that we were moving here, we heard one of two things: 1) “Why?!” and 2) “The food there is absolutely amazing.” Actually, a lot of times we heard both!
I’ll spare you the gory details of our move down here, but I will tell you that it involved a missed flight, a week in an extended-stay hotel that my 3-year-old referred to as the “ho-temple” (and I won’t lie, he wasn’t too far off!), and leaving our families on the other side of the country.
Our first night here, we went to an Italian restaurant where the waitress called the little girl at the table next to us “little mama” and I felt so out of place and conspicuous with my Yankee accent and having NEVER referred to anyone as “little mama.” I was convinced that everyone was going to automatically hate me.
We ate out a lot those first few weeks as we were settling in and after a little while, we decided to step out of our comfort zones and try some of the more regional fare since, supposedly, Louisiana has the most delicious food in the world. That’s when I tried red beans and rice for the first time. I’d never had it before, and I didn’t know what to expect when I ordered it. And I don’t know if it was the loneliness and upheaval that we were feeling in our lives at the time or if it truly was that delicious, but even though it was something new, it tasted like going home. And I have to say that it’s a good thing that red beans and rice was the first Louisiana food I ate here, because I’ve since tried gumbo three times and thrice my reaction has ranged from “blah” to hating it. If you’re curious, okra is a vegetable imported straight from hell and personally hoed by Satan himself.
Slowly, we came to discover that no one in Louisiana hated us (at least not to our faces!) In fact, I’d never felt more accepted or loved by complete and total strangers in my whole life, like the ladies at the grocery store who call me “baby” and ooh and ahh over my own “little mama” and “little man.” In the year that we’ve been here, I’ve eaten a lot of red beans and rice; everyone has their own way of doing it, kind of like everyone has their variation of funeral potatoes in Utah. But every pot I’ve ever had has been made with love, and that makes me love it even more–even the ones I ate (kind of) that had a little meat in there that tasted and looked suspiciously like squirrel…
So this is my version–red beans from a Utah girl living in the South and learning from the best…Oh, and if it looks familiar, I borrowed some seasonings from Sara’s black beans.
Kate’s Red Beans and Rice
1 lb. dry red kidney beans, rinsed and sorted
6 c. water
5 regular bouillon cubes or 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. chicken base
1/4 lb. smoked sausage (Andouille sausage if you can find it), quartered and cut into thin slices. You can also use a large, meaty ham bone.
1 onion, chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. Cajun or Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere’s is the best; omit this if using Andouille sausage)
3/4 tsp. cumin
3/4 tsp. coriander
3/4 tsp. oregano
1/8-1/4 tsp. cinnamon (sounds weird, but DON’T leave it out!!!)
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (also omit if using Andouille sausage)
Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low all day. Or you can start on high until it starts to simmer and then switch it to low. Honestly, I think “high” for a shorter period works better, but that’s just me…
When beans are tender, mash about 85-90% of them against the side of the crock pot. Give them a taste and add any extra seasonings if you need to, particularly more Tony’s or salt and pepper. Replace lid and set heat to “low.” Or off. Whatever. It’s pretty hard to screw stuff up in the crockpot. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 c. water, 1 Tbsp. white vinegar, and 2 c. of white rice to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and steam for 20 minutes.
Now…this may be heresy to people who grew up eating red beans and rice, but I prefer it with the beans on bottom and the rice on top. I just think it’s prettier. And don’t think I haven’t gotten dirty looks for not putting the beans on top; what can I say, I’m a sassy girl with a rebellious streak and a Yankee accent who knows what she likes! I also like to garnish it with some green onions for color and a little extra flavor.
Like Cajun food needs any extra flavor…
Serves about 8, with 1 c. beans and 1/2 c. rice per person.
Nutritional Information
Calories: 220
Fat: 4
Fiber: 6
WW Points: 4
Freezer Instructions: Chop sausage, onion, and garlic and place in a quart-sized freezer bag. In a gallon-sized freezer bag, place the remaining ingredients except the rice and water. When ready to cook, place the contents of both bags in a slow cooker and add the water. Cook according to the recipe directions and serve with rice.
Freezer Instructions: Chop sausage, onion, and garlic and place in a quart-sized freezer bag. In a gallon-sized freezer bag, place the remaining ingredients except the rice and water. When ready to cook, place the contents of both bags in a slow cooker and add the water. Cook according to the recipe directions and serve with rice.

Mindy says:

This is the first thing I’m going to make when I get back home and to my slow cooker! Mmmmm…

Kaitlin says:

That looks so good!

Mandy says:

This will go perfectly with the King Cake I’m planning on making this month. Thanks for the awesome crockpot recipe!

Sara says:

Oh I think this sounds so good! We love slow-cooker meals on Sunday so I think I’ll try this one this week. Yum, thanks Kate!

Kara says:

I have never tried beans and rice. Your recipe sure looks yummy, I think I might just be adventurous and make it for my family. (I think the sausage will win them over!)

imajacobs says:

This recipe looks great, but I have a question. Do you not soak the beans first? I usually have to soak them all night and then cook them all day to get them soft.

Sara says:

Hey Kate- Have you ever tried this with canned beans (and less water of course)? I’ve got a bunch and I’m wondering how it would turn out…maybe I’ll give it a shot and come back with a report. I’m thinking if I used canned beans it might even work better on the stove-top simmering for a little while so the beans don’t turn into mush. Hmmm…any thoughts?

Kate says:

Mandy–Are you in Louisiana?? Or just making King Cake for the heck of it (and Mardi Gras, of course! :) )

Kathy–I’ve never soaked the beans and they turn out great in the crockpot. On the stovetop, however, I’ve found I definitely need to soak them first.

Sara–I’m SURE you could try it with canned beans; you’ll just have to get around 8 c. of mashed beans and liquid (you want it semi-soupy, not thick like caneed refried beans).

Britney says:

That looks so good!! I can’t wait to try it. My husband will love it!

Samantha says:

Please try Fried Okra before ridding it off to Hell for eternity!

Tricia says:

I’m not going to lie, I probably won’t make this. My husband has serious gas issues when he eats stuff like this, sorry TMI. But I will say that I absolutely feel entertained when I read the history behind what you are making. You and Sara have some of the funniest expressions I have ever read. Thanks for brightening my day!

Crystal says:

I just tried Sara’s Black Bean Soup this week and loved it. The flavors amazing. I love beans and rice, so this recipe I want to try too. Also, Costco has the most delicious Andouille sausage. So if anyone is looking for a good one. I think they come in 3 packages of 6 or so. You can freeze what you don’t use.

My Carolina Kitchen says:

Wish I could find andouille. Very Louisiana.
    Sam

Lassiter says:

Ahhh… a Utah girl living in Louisiana. I moved to Utah from Louisiana about 4 years ago. I can relate to your story! I’m not from Louisiana, just lived there for a couple of years. I’ve been craving red beans and rice. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

The Siple Family says:

We love to eat beans and rice! I can’t wait to try your recipe. Thanks Kate! And Hi to Miss Sara. . .

Juli says:

I thought these were fantastic! I’ve made another recipe a few times by some guy named Emeril and I thought that one was pretty good, but I think these taste even better! I made it even healthier with turkey smoked sausage and throwing in some red bell pepper I had too.

Sara says:

I made this today and we all thought it was yummy!

I put everything in my crock pot last night and then just let it all sit over night in the fridge. Then this morning I just plugged it in and turned it on before we left for church. It was so easy that way. We used turkey sausage too.

Eric says:

loved it!

Manda says:

I loved these! So yummy and smokey tasting. The andouille is so worth it. I shared some with my MIL who is from the south, and she said they were fabulous. Thanks Kate! I’m glad I didn’t try the pinto beans :)

The Langstons says:

Wow, Kate, delicious!! Lanny made it for dinner tonight, and when he said rice and beans I thought, “Wha–?” Then he said it was coming from your blog so I knew it would be good…and it was!

Bella In The Bayou says:

North or South Louisiana? I’m in the South. I’ve never seen cinnamon in red beans but am going to try it. The idea of cooking in the crock pot is great too! Never tried it but am anxious to see how well it works for me so I won’t have to keep checking that the beans don’t burn. I’ve got ham and tasso on hand so may use that instead of the Andouille. Thanks for posting this!

Kate says:

Bella–where we are depends on who you ask! :) Most people consider us about as far north as you can get and still be considered South Louisiana. Let me know how this goes for you–and now I’m all nervous that someone from Louisiana is trying my recipe! :)

Bella In The Bayou says:

I have the beans in the crock pot for about 5 hours now, they are for tomorrow’s dinner, I’ll finish them tomorrow as they are not soft enough yet.

We used to joke “Way up North in Shreveport”. We even thought BR was north ;) growing up in NO and Met. We’re almost at the coast but near the TX border now, can’t get much more southern especially since RITA wiped out what WAS south of us.

Tina says:

I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for a while. I finally made it for dinner tonight. I love this recipe! So easy! Delicious! I think my husband was convinced as soon as he saw the sausage! Up until now I’ve been intimidated by dried beans. I can’t believe how easy this recipe was! Thank you so much for the recipe!

MaryRuth says:

oh and we make our own gumbo… my husband hates louisiana gumbo which is so weird since he’s the one from louisiana.

How we do ours… no veggies. None. Just chicken, sausage and roux with lots of tony’s and served over rice… YUMMY!

stanjudy says:

This is the best red beans dish I have ever had…spiced just right! I have to admit that I have been eating it cold out of the leftover dish all morning.

April says:

Couple things… reading this made me homesick, slightly. I'm not from Louisianna, nor have I ever lived there. But we recently lived in Gulfport, Mississippi for 18 months. Everything was foreign to me when we got there, but I made it home and tried out all those cajun recipes. Some were good, some not so good! I liked red beans and rice though; I'll have to try your recipe. I love the crock-pot idea!
    And secondly, I noticed the WW points. Were you counting points for awhile, because I've never noticed them before… Can you do that for all your recipes?? I love WW, and LOVE having the points there! YEA!

Shiloh says:

Mmm red beans and rice! My dad lives in Louisiana so I've eaten my fair share while visiting him. I tried making it at home several times using kidney beans and was always disappointed because it didn't taste quite right… Next time I was down in Louisiana, I took a close look at the red beans and realized they were way too small to be kidney beans. They actually are a bean variety called red beans! Bought a bag of dried red beans, took them home to Alaska, and made perfect crock pot red beans and rice :) They've even started selling dried red beans at the store here so I don't have to bring them home in my suitcase. I suspect which variety of beans you use may be a regional thing?

Christina says:

These red beans and rice look awesome! :) My hubby and I just recently moved to Louisiana, Kate (from Dallas, Texas) so I totally agree with you that it IS a whole new world! And even though I've been a southerner for my whole life, Louisiana is definitely MORE southern then Texas! haha Moving so far away from family was the hardest thing, but after living here now for about 3 months, I've learned to like it a lot more here. :) The people are really friendly (they remind me a lot of Texans) and YES the food is pretty darn amazing! I have yet to try crawfish (though my husband totally digs them), but the other seafood here is really, really good (and I am NOT a big seafood fan at all). I can't wait to try this recipe! :) Thanks for sharing! (Oh and btw, I think you guys' food blog is fantastic!!!)

verοnicа says:

So excited about trying this recipe! The red beans are simmering as I type. I'll report back when it is all said and done.

verοnicа says:

Had to come back with the results. They came out delicious! I didn't change anything to the recipe and loved it! Thanks for the recipes ladies!

Steve and Jamie says:

I made this for dinner tonight. Loved it! My kids even ate it, and that is what I consider success.

Becky says:

I made this for dinner last night. Not only was it simple to make, both of my kids LOVED it!

Jenn says:

So, so, so good. Next time I will have my rice prepared before I taste the beans – once I started “tasting,” I couldn’t stop!

P.S. Every recipe I’ve tried from this site has been not just good, but stellar. Thanks so much.

Cajungirl3651 says:

Ok I have never ever heard of putting cinnamon in red beans, cumin either or even smoked paprika. I don’t know I been making beans for years and I don’t put any of that in there. I am curious to try it though, that might be a central LA thing maybe because I don’t think that is a New Orleans thing. Also don’t give up on gumbo you just have to find a okra less one, I don’t put okra in mine because it is slimy and yucky. Ok my next pot of beans is going to be this recipe…

Cajungirl3651 says:

So since finding your blog, I have made a few of your recipes, all yummy I might add. I am making red beans this week and I said I was going to give your recipe a try because it is so different from mine, but now I’m scared my kids won’t eat them. Can you tell me, with the cumin and the cinnamon (and this might sound strange) are they chili-tasting? I have had Houston (the city) red beans and they are different from new Orleans red beans, and I think these maybe more like that- they put the green onions on top. As you can see I’m having second thoughts now that the time is here…my kids usually devour beans and rice, I don’t want them to turn on me.

Okay, I’ve totally come to discover that red beans are a highly personal thing, haha! I personally don’t think these are chili-y. I’ve had friends who grew up here who love these and others who think they’re an abomination, but to me, they kind of taste like the red beans from Popeye’s. So use that as your barometer–if you hate the flavor of Popeye’s red beans, these might not be for you. :)

Cajungirl3651 says:

Seriously, if they even kind of taste like Poyeyes I’m in. I’m gonna follow you blindly. Because if you can closely replicate Popeyes beans with only 4 WW points (I’ve heard they put, or used to put, lard in there). Sorry to be a PITA. We’ ll see.

• Okay, I was seriously mocked by someone who lived here for loving Popeye’s red beans, so now I feel completely vindicated! :) The flavor of these beans will differ so much depending on the sausage you use, but I really think the cinnamon is the thing that makes them taste Popeye’s-ish. You just need a little pinch–start out very small and then add a little more if you need it.

Oh, and you’re not a PITA. Promise. :)

george says:

I’m a country boy from Illinois. Been eating ham’n beans with cornbread my whole life. Went to NO for a couple of weeks last year and been doing some Cajun cooking. You really can’t mess up beans in the crock pot I’ve thrown about every spice in the cupboard in there and also some brown sugar. I pretty much always put in the trinity, green pepper, onion, and celery. Minced garlic a must also. Cinnamon just a pinch is good. Saute’ the sausage and throw it in for the last half to one hour of cooking. Beans are a very healthy food.

Jane says:

Ahhh! Thanks for this recipe. We did the same thing…. moved from the west to L.A. (lower Alabama). I love the south and was looking for a good Red Beans and Rice recipe. I don’t like Gumbo either! Love this site! Do you have a good Etouffee recipe?

Liz says:

Hi! Just wanted to say I loved your red beans and rice, and I’ve had plenty over the years. Dry beans always seem to take forever for me, so I did soak the beans, but otherwise I stuck to the recipe exactly and had perfect results. Thanks!

Trudy doiron says:

I know that some people don’t cook the okra enough to get rid of the slime effect. Try cutting up okra,celery and onions with a little cooking oil and baking them together for a few hours. You will need to stir this every now and then and it will cook down perfectly. No slime but nicely browned. We also usually don’t use roux and okra in the same gumbo. They are both used for thickening but I have had it both ways and I love gumbo. That being said the people in other parts of the state don’t smother the okra down like we do and you have all these big chunks floating around. My way is the old cajun down the bayou way and of course I think it is the best way.

Bethany says:

We love this recipe!!! So good, made it for my extended family too and the kids turned their noses up till they tried it, they all wanted seconds!!! Tomorrow though hubby has asked that I sub Black beans but keep the rest the same (reminds him of Brazil a bit) so I hope it’s as good!

nicole says:

Just tried this yesterday! AWESOME! Thanks so much! I have always tried to “recreate” Popeye’s red beans and rice and failed…this is spot on!

Linda S Gruber says:

I lived in Gonzales LA for 5 years and ohh those cajon folk were so friendly and loving! I ate my first red beans and rice at some hole in the wall under an interstate underpass. I thought I was in heaven. You forgot to tell everyone to serve it with corn bread…preferably crumbled into the red beans and rice. mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Lois says:

Have this simmering on the stove top & love the aroma! Used small red beans instead of kidney. Can’t wait for supper!

Tracie says:

I made this on a desperate whim during tax season this year because I needed something different to cook in the crock pot while I worked all day. Neither my husband nor my kids are beans and rice fans – but I was desperate for a crock pot meal! When I got home, the house smelled SO GOOD! We all ate our first bites with trepidation, but holy cow! YUM! My husband even said we could have this more than once a week and he’d be completely happy! That is a HUGE compliment! I made the recipe exactly as you said, except I soaked the beans overnight because I was afraid of getting “bullet beans” in the finished product. I also used brown rice instead of white because that’s how we roll in this house ;). Thank you so, so much! I’m also now hooked on this Tony Chachere’s seasoning. That stuff is really good! :)

Candace says:

I am making this tonight so I will let you know how it turns out!

Amber D says:

OH DEAR!!! I’ve made 2 lbs of beans and thinking of doubling it, and SO excited to try this recipe, I added about a half a teaspoon of cinnamon BEFORE I read the following posts. :( I only worry as I didn’t have the proper sausage or ham hocks etc.. I’m even out of bacon! And no one bash me please.. tried a small bit of… *blush* a breakfast type sausage. I think I went insane and was just SO excited about having beans and rice I just jotted the recipe down and went to town lol I never cook with cumin, my family won’t eat it.. which is a shame as I’m dying to try curry. (I ADORE the Two Fat Ladies cooking show and learned about it from there)

I too, lived in Louisiana. We moved there with some excitement though as we’ve lived all over the U.S. and just moved from West Texas and I was SO desperate for trees and green! EVERYONE was so sweet and friendly. The more East you go in the South, the sweeter people get. MHO. But people in La. are lovely. Of everywhere we’ve lived Bossier City was my favorite place ever.. and one day we’ll move back. I sure miss the shopping!!

FYI I LOVE Popeye’s Red Beans and Rice. :) Which is how I found your blog, searching for a copy cat type recipe. We don’t have them where we live. Which is back in Texas. North Central-ish. My family’s from the north. And my husband and I debated (him being a born Texan and southern boy) what red beans were. He said they’re found as “Red Beans” I always thought they were pinto beans. :/ Just until I read above.. Had I known I’d have run out and got some and proper sausage too. I live in the country and it’s a pain to drive into town when it’s onlya couple of things. I thought I could improvise. I won’t do that again.

I laughed about your okra statement. :D I loove okra as well as gumbo. A favorite food, aside from potato soup (made the southern way :) ) I have no recipes for it though. I think my sons old enough now he’d try it and like it. We have an herb and vegetable farm, with my own private gardens for family and kitchen use. This year my husband planted a whole row of okra just for me :) He said there’s no way he’s harvesting them though! lol I’ve never grown them but hear they will bite ya. Anyways, I wish I could feed you some of my brother-in-laws mom’s gumbo (that was kinda funny) it’s amazing. I wish I had the recipe. It was mostly seafood and other meats and you can’t stick a spoon in it and not find shrimp. Yum… I need to go beg for that recipe now…

I’ll report back! NEXT time I promise to follow your recipes to a tee. Thank you mama ;)

Amber D says:

K, I tasted the soupy part and it’s so good! The house smells of cinnamon which is the reason for my panic! :) I see why you don’t add salt to the recipe! The Tonys is awesome! I had gotten two cans and a bunch of samples from their company and I’ve used it sparingly and don’t cook enough “cajun” flavored foods. Oh God I miss real dirty rice.. I’ll let ya know how it goes in spite of having tampered with the recipe! I bet it’s awesome though! Better if it were properly made I’ll bet! Thank you! :) So happy to have stumbled across your blog and I can’t wait to read more and make more of your recipes!

Amber D says:

ONE more question… sorry to fill your wall. How does one steam rice!?

Alyssa v says:

I made this tonight after finding it on Pinterest. All I can say is OMG this is excellent. And the cinnamon adds a wonderful flavor.

Made this today since I was snowed in and had all the ingredients. Oh. My. Goodness. What a delicious recipe! My hubby absolutely loved it. I have tried so many of your recipes and every single dish turns out amazing. So thankful for your blog :)

Amy says:

This post is old, so I don’t know if you will even see this comment, but I hope you do.
    My family loves these beans. This is one of the only “beans and rice” dishes that certain picky children do not grumble over, and that my carnivore husband eats enough of to not be starving in an hour.
    I recently had to go dairy free, and all of the chicken base I have contains whey. Boo hiss. Do you think I could just maybe use chicken broth and decrease the water by that amount instead?