A simple and delicious chicken soup packed with Latin flavors and healthy ingredients!
- 1 recipe Taco Chicken
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, membranes and seeds removed if you don’t want it too spicy
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 4 cans chicken broth (or 1 carton)
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes (we suggest fire roasted)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Optional topping suggestions:
- tortilla strips or chips
- guacamole or avocado
- cotija cheese
- sour cream
- green onions
Click here for the link to the Taco Chicken Recipe.
1. Early in the day, begin marinating the chicken. Right before you start preparing the soup, start grilling it (to make it all at the same time in one pot, see notes section)
2. In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and minced jalapeno and cook a few minutes more until pepper is softened and garlic is fragrant.
3. Add chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer 15-20 minutes.
5. Right before serving, add lime juice and chicken to the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into the bowls and add desired toppings.
If you’d like to make the chicken all at the same time in one pot, follow these adaptations!
– Dice raw chicken into bite-sized pieces and combine in a bowl with marinade ingredients, including all seasonings, but omitting garlic and pepper. Let sit while you prep other ingredients.
– After step 2, push onion mixture to side of pan and transfer chicken to pot, including all juices/marinade. Stir and cook until chicken is mostly cooked through and then proceed with step 3 in recipe.
– You might want to taste the soup before adding the final lime juice in step 5 and add to taste.