This yummy Breakfast Quinoa is sure to please everyone in the morning! Rave reviews on this one!
For the Quinoa
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1 cup light coconut milk (from a carton, such as Silk brand)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- fresh berries
- toasted coconut
- additional coconut milk
- honey or agave syrup
- additional brown sugar if desired
- Place rinsed and drained quinoa, coconut milk, brown sugar, and almond extract in a medium-sized pot. Stir ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover pot, preferably with a clear lid (so you can see through it and keep an eye on the quinoa). Stir a few times during cooking. If mixture seems to be boiling out, crack the lid to release steam, otherwise, keep covered. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. In the last few minutes of cooking, feel free to add a little more liquid (water is fine, or additional coconut milk) until desired consistency is reached. I prefer my breakfast quinoa on the soft side with enough liquid to make it more of a porridge.
- Divide quinoa into bowls and top with fresh berries, toasted coconut and a splash of additional coconut milk. If desired, add a drizzle of honey or agave or a sprinkle of brown sugar for sweetness.
- Yields, about 4, 1/2 cup servings.
- This recipe is how much I make for myself and 3 kiddos. I get a little more than the 1/2 cup and the littlest guy gets a little less, seems to be the perfect amount for us