A flavorful fresh corn salad that can be eaten warm or cold. All the comforting flavors of street corn, but on a spoon.
- 5 ears fresh corn, about 4 cups corn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- zest from 1 lime
- juice from 1 large lime (about 2 tablespoons), more if desired
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- 3/4 cup crumbled Mexican cheese like queso fresco or Cotija
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Cut corn from cobs. Heat an extra large skillet to medium heat and add butter or oil. Cook corn, tossing occasionally, until toasted and slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Combine mayo, sour cream, lime zest and juice, chili powder, smoked paprika and pepper. Toss to combine and then gently stir in cheese and cilantro. Taste and then add kosher salt to taste. Optional: Add additional lime juice to taste.
- This salad can be served warm, or chilled and served cold. If served cold, I find it usually needs an extra squeeze of lime juice right before serving.
- If you don’t have access to the Mexican cheeses (which should be available at most normal grocery stores) you could use feta, or even fresh Parmesan. If you use feta, you may want to do a little less than the recipe calls for since it’s so strong.