This is my favorite go-to treat when I’m craving something sweet and I’m the mood for pumpkin spice. The cake is super moist and tender and it’s topped with my all time favorite cream cheese frosting, which is the perfect balance of flavors. I promise it will become one of your favorite recipes, too!
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Find this in the spice aisle. If you prefer to mix your own, simply combine 1/4 cup cinnamon, 4 teaspoons nutmeg, 4 teaspoons ginger, and 1 tablespoon allspice. Then measure out what you need.
- Canned Pumpkin – Make sure you’re using 100% pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Cream Cheese – Full fat or low fat will work. Avoid fat free.
- You’ll start off by mixing up some basic dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set that aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer if you’d like to use one), whisk together some brown sugar, white sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Then whisk in a couple of eggs. When the mixture is combined completely, slowly add in the flour mixture, beating until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9×13″ pan and even it out with a spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean (times can vary widely depending on individual ovens).
- While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting. This is my favorite cream cheese frosting recipe. The ingredient ratio results in perfectly balanced flavors and it’s super easy to whip up! When the cake is completely cool, frost and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make this ahead of time? Feel free to make this cake a day ahead of time. I suggest storing the cake and frosting separately in the refrigerator. When time to serve, allow the frosting to come to room temperature and rewhip before frosting your cake.
Did You Make This?
I’d love to hear from you! Snap a picture and tag me on Instagram, then come back and give this recipe a rating!
A fantastic need-something-sweet-quick treat, perfect for fall.
3 cups all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups and leveled with a knife (high elevations can add 2 additional tablespoons)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (make your own here)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups canned pumpkin
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese (light works fine, although it will yield a slightly softer frosting) at almost room temperature
1/2 cup salted butter at almost room temperature
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract (or both)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13″ pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer if you’d like to use one), whisk together the brown sugar, white sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Blend in eggs and mix until smooth, then add pumpkin and mix again. When the mixture is combined completely, slowly add in the flour mixture, beating until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan and even it out with a spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean (times can vary widely depending on individual ovens).
- When done, remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting. Whip together the cream cheese, butter, and extract until light and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar and whip until smooth and fully incorporated. when the cake is completely cool, spread with the frosting. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Keywords: pumpkin, dessert, cake