So in case you missed it, we’re having all sorts of fun this week. From a collection of my favorite things that the moms in your life (or you! Go ahead, forward it to your sweetie, that’s what it’s there for!) might love to a Whole Foods gift card giveaway, Mother’s Day celebrations are in full swing at Our Best Bites.
And just to make the celebration complete, we’re serving up sangria today. Except that we don’t drink, so this batch is non-alcoholic, although if you prefer, substituting the grape juice with wine is an easy fix.
Now…when I say I don’t drink, I really don’t–like…ever. Never. And yet when I was pregnant with my now-baby, I had the most intense, overwhelming craving for sangria (which I had never actually even tasted). In Mexican and Italian restaurants, I would longingly watch people with their pitchers of sangria while I sipped my water and wished I was not smelling food. In the depths of morning sickness, this virgin sangria recipe was literally the only thing that did not make me want to lie on the bathroom floor and die. I went through gallons of grape juice a week–I would pour this over big cups completely filled with ice and sip it and chew on the grape juice-flavored ice and I swear to you all, nothing before or since has ever tasted so amazing.
So come Mother’s Day, whether it’s for a Mother’s Day breakfast or an afternoon barbecue on the deck, this is the perfect drink. It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s delicious and refreshing. Kids and adults love it, you can snack on the fruit. What’s not to love, right?
You’ll need grape juice, apple juice concentrate, limes, lemons, an apple, an orange, and sparkling water or club soda.
Juice a lemon and a lime and add it to the pitcher. Add 3 cups of grape juice and apple juice concentrate and refrigerate until ready to serve. Immediately before serving, add 1 3/4 cups sparkling water or club soda and serve over ice. Makes 4-6 servings (4 is generous).
- 1 apple
- 2 limes, washed
- 2 lemons, washed
- 1 orange
- 3/4 cup apple juice concentrate
- 3 cups grape juice*
- 1 3/4 cups sparkling water or club soda
- Core the apple and cut it into 8-12 slices. Place the slices in a serving pitcher. Slice the lime, lemon (seed it), and orange and place them in the in pitcher. Juice another lime and lemon and add the juice to the pitcher. Add the apple juice concentrate and grape juice.
- Chill until ready to serve. Immediately before serving, add the sparkling water or club soda and serve over ice, trying to get some of the fruit into each glass.
- *Red wine can be substituted for grape juice if desired