You can never have too many dips in your repertoire, and this Bacon Tomato Basil dip is a terrific one! It’s creamy and packed with flavor from crumbled bacon, fresh basil and tangy feta cheese and topped with fresh tomato for a really great flavor and texture combination. It’s really great served with crackers, pita chips, or fresh warm bread!
This dip is a great mix of some refrigerated and pantry basics, mixed up with some strong flavor punches and fresh ingredients.
- Sour Cream – I prefer full fat sour cream, but if you like, you can sub low-fat (personally, I would avoid fat free). If you like the flavor of plain yogurt, you could use a plain, Greek style yogurt as well.
- Mayonnaise – use a mayo you like!
- Feta cheese – you might not even realize feta is in this dip, it just adds a wonderful salty, tangy flavor element. Regular or low-fat feta is just fine.
- Bacon – this recipe calls for a package of bacon, cooked and crumbled, but I find it’s so much quicker and easier to use a bag of pre-cooked crumbed bacon. You can find this at the grocery store. Depending on the brand your store carries, the amount might be slightly different. I’ve found any of the small salad size packs are great. They usually vary between 3-4-ish ounces.
- Garlic – fresh garlic really adds a lot of flavor here, I’d stick to fresh over garlic powder.
- Red wine vinegar – along with lemon juice, this adds an acidic flavor balance. Red wine vinegar is preferable, but if you’re in a pinch, white wine vinegar would also work.
This Bacon Tomato Basil dip is incredibly easy to make!
- Whisk together sour cream, mayo, garlic, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar.
- Add in crumbled feta, green onions, crumbled bacon, basil, and black pepper.
- Stir and chill dip. When ready to serve, spread out in a dish and top with diced tomatoes, and extra bacon and basil if desired.
- Serve with crackers, pita chips, or bread.
Here’s more dips you might enjoyPrint
A creamy, tangy dip full of flavor from bacon, feta, and fresh basil and topped with fresh tomato. Serve with crackers, bread, or pita chips.
1 1/2 cups sour cream (I recommend full fat)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 12-ounce package bacon, cooked and crumbled OR a 3.5–4.5 oz package pre-cooked and crumbled, about 3/4– 1 cup
1 clove garlic, pressed or very finely minced
1 heaping tablespoon minced fresh basil
1/4 cup finely minced green onions
a few cracks freshly ground black pepper
Kosher salt to taste
4–8 ounces tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1–2 medium tomatoes)
note: before you add all your ingredients, you might want to save a few pinches of bacon and extra basil to garnish before serving.
- Whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and vinegar until smooth.
2. Add feta cheese, bacon, garlic, basil, green onions, and black pepper. Stir to combine. There should be plenty of salt from the bacon and feta, but if for any reason it needs a little you can add it to taste.
3. For best results, chill dip for a couple hours before serving, it will thicken as it chills. Before serving, spread mixture out in bowl and top with chopped tomato. You’ll want to cut open your tomato and remove the seeds and pulp before dicing to avoid excess moisture in your dip. (I like to save a little bit of bacon and basil for the top as well).
4. Serve with crackers, chips, pita chips, or fresh, warm bread.
Keywords: tomato basil dip