So if you haven’t done it already, you may be in the middle of planning your Thanksgiving menu right now. For me, it’s always kind of a fun challenge to find ways to implement our “tried and trues” with new recipes or variations on classics. Like, maybe, Sara’s Easy Pumpkin Crumble instead of Pumpkin Pie. Or this apple pie, although over the years, we’ve actually come to love this pie so much that we serve it along with Classic Apple Pie (random side note: Does anyone else ever find a significantly higher dessert-to-non-dessert stuff at their Thanksgiving dinners?). It’s kind of like part apple crisp, part apple pie, and something that people who get the shivers thinking about cooked fruit tend to like. It would also be a fabulous filling for the Single Serving Pies in a Jar.

Crumb-Topped Apple Pie
Recipe from Our Best Bites

2 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. uncooked regular oats
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. chopped pecans
3/4 c. butter, melted
4 c. tart, thinly sliced apples (like Granny Smith; about 3 apples)
1/3 c. white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 c. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine flour, brown sugar, oats, salt, chopped pecans, and melted butter in a medium bowl. Pack 1 cup of the mixture into a measuring cup and set it aside; gently press remaining mixture into a 9″ pie plate. Be sure not to pack it in there too tightly or it will be too hard and messy to slice the pie when it’s baked.

In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, water, and vanilla and bring to a boil. While mixture is heating, place apples in the pie crust. After sugar/water mixture has come to a boil, pour the hot mixture over the apples. Sprinkle reserved crumb topping over apples and then place the pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake for 43-45 minutes. During the last 15 minutes or so, you may need to cover the pie with a sheet of aluminum foil to keep the pie from getting too brown.

Serve warm (if you can) with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of sweetened whipped cream. But I’m not gonna lie, this is pretty darn fabulous even when it’s not straight from the oven!

Amanda says:

That sure is gorgeous! I'm actually trying a different pumpkin pie today, crossing my fingers!

I so want to make this for pie in a jar! How many apples do we need?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Eek, Jen, thanks for catching my mistake! How could I forget the apples in the recipe, lol?? Anyway, it's 4 c. of thinly sliced baking apples, which ends up being about 3 medium apples.

Jason Sandeman says:

Thank you for the lovely apple pie! I love the toppings, I just wanted to add that I sometimes use a lovely bit of cassia and cardamon for an interesting kick to the old tradition.

Another idea is bits of chocolate under the crust for a sinful addition. At least, that is how my wife likes the crumble made. I am sure it would translate well to this recipe as well. LOL

nikki says:

Does the leftover pie need to be refrigerated? Not that I'm planning on leftovers :) but I'm donating a pie to a correctional facility for Thanksgiving and they only want ones that need immediate refrigeration.

Can't wait to try it – looks delish!

I LOVE crumb-topped apple pie, I can't wait to try this one. I think I'll make it for Thanksgiving since I always make something other than pumpkin!

Mary Kelly says:

This sounds so delicious and perfect for me- the girl who struggles with pie crust.

TheFitnessFreak says:

Ooooh, this is my husbands favorite! I'll try this one out on him : )

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

Beautiful apple pie! This crumb topping looks like something I could handle since my top crust never turns out nicely. Yum!

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

I have been craving a crumb apple pie all day… this does not help! Besides, can you believe I don't have a pie plate?! It's on my Christmas list. Along with a pastry cutter. And quite a few other kitchen items. :)

The Nedrys says:

This looks just like something I am in the mood for…I think I may just make it tomorrow or Saturday!

Kaitlyn says:

I swear you guys read my mind! I am going to make Dutch apple pie for thanksgiving and was just going to start looking for recipes on line. I can stop my research now b/c I know your recipe will be awesome!

One question….
    what portion of this recipe can I make ahead? I'd love to assemble the pie at home in the morning around 11am and then bake it at the house where we're eating at around 5pm. Would this work with this recipe?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Kaitlyn–the trick thing with this pie when it's unbaked is the crumb topping–you're likely to lose a lot of it in transit. The only make-ahead thing I can think of is to make it a few days ahead of time and then freeze it, but I'm not sure how long to bake it once it's frozen, you know?

The good thing is that this IS a pie that holds up well–it's not like a pie with regular pastry that will start getting soggy and stale after a little while. You could definitely make it 1-2 days ahead of time and it would still be fabulous, just keep it covered tightly in the fridge.

Shel says:

YUM! I just found your blog via Lollychops! I want to try everything. Thanks!!!

heather says:

can i make this without the nuts? or could i substitute almonds instead?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

I think nuts are really important, mostly for the richness and crunchy texture. If you don't like pecans or walnuts, I promise, you can hardly taste them. If you're allergic, chopped whole almonds (not chopped sliced; I think they'd probably burn) or macadamias would be great, too!

heather says:

thanks kate! i ended up making this for thanksgiving with the nuts. it turned out great and i'll be making it again next week for christmas :)

Mary says:

Hey Kate, I assume by regular oats you mean the non-quick cooking. Since I want to make this today and it’s freaking snowing in March, I’m not going to the store and I only have quick cooking oats on hand. Would they work or totally ruin it?

Mary, I think you’ll be totally fine with quick cooking oats. Let us know how it turns out! :)

• Mary says:

Ya, if ruined is totally awesome, where has this been all my life, delicious, it’s ruined :). Paired with the sweet cream (and I followed another commenter’s tip and added cinnamon and vanilla) and WOW! WOW WOW WOW! Y’all have ANOTHER hit on your hands!

Marla says:

Has anyone ever tried this with peaches?

Kim says:

If I wanted to swap blackberries for apples, would I need to adjust the liquid (sugar and water mixture)?

I just made this for Thanksgiving and it was divine! I did make a few alterations…added cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cardamom in crumb topping and crust, and I used brown sugar instead of white for the filling. I added a tiny bit of lemon to the apples to keep them from discoloring while I prepared the rest of Thanksgiving dinner, so that might have added a little oomph to it as well. And I served it with rum raisin gelato. OMG {drool}!

Bailey says:

Could this be made as a sort of apple crisp? Just leave out the crumble on the bottom and put it all on the top? If I bake it in a 9×13 do you think I’d need to double the recipe? I’ve made this as a pie and loved it!!

Janel says:

Do I shorten the cooking time if I am using the canned apple pie filling recipe from your blog in place of the fresh apples?