Traditional sangria is a chilled Spanish drink made with wine and fresh fruit. This Virgin Red Sangria replaces the wine with grape juice for the whole family to enjoy. (If you drink alcohol and would rather use wine, see the notes below.) Whether it’s for a Mother’s Day breakfast or an afternoon barbecue on the deck, this is the perfect drink. It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s delicious and refreshing. Kids and adults love it and, as a bonus, you can snack on the fruit. What’s not to love, right?
- Grape Juice – Grape juice is creates a lovely base for this sangria. If you’d rather, feel free to replace it with a bottle of red wine.
- Fruit – I’ve listed a variety of citrus and apples here, but feel free to play around with the the fruits added here. Since the peels are going right in the drink here, give your lemon, lime, orange, and apple a quick wash with a touch of dish soap or vinegar to ensure they are nice and clean.
How to Make Virgin Red Sangria
- You’ll need grape juice, apple juice concentrate, limes, lemons, an apple, an orange, and sparkling water or club soda. Core the apple and cut it into 8-12 slices. Place in a serving pitcher. Wash and slice a lime, lemon (flick the seeds out), and then orange and add them to the pitcher.
- Juice a lemon and a lime and add it to the pitcher. Add 3 cups of grape juice and apple juice concentrate and then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Immediately before serving, add 1 3/4 cups sparkling water or club soda and serve over ice. Makes 4-6 servings (4 is generous).
This Virgin Red Sangria is a great choice for brunch, mother’s day, a summer barbecue, or an afternoon by the pool. Its light, refreshing flavors pair well with other bright, fresh ingredients like Latin cuisine or meat and veggies off the grill.
If you’re interested in some other drinks, take a look at these:
- Can I make this ahead of time? If making within about 5 hours of serving, make as directed above and store in the fridge, adding the sparkling water or club soda right before serving. If you need to prep earlier than that, slice up your fruit up to a day ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Mix up the juices and refrigerate. A few hours before serving, add fruit to the pitcher and allow to rest in the fridge for flavors to come together. Add the sparkling water or club soda and ice immediately before serving.
Did You Make This?
I’d love to hear from you! Snap a picture and tag me on Instagram, and then come back and give this recipe a rating!Print
This Virgin Sangria is a great summer time drink! It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s delicious and refreshing. Kids and adults love it and, as a bonus, you can snack on the fruit.
2 limes, washed
2 lemons, washed
1 orange, washed
3/4 cup apple juice concentrate
3 cups grape juice*
1 3/4 cups sparkling water or club soda
- Core the apple and cut it into 8-12 slices. Place the slices in a serving pitcher. Slice the lime, lemon (seed it), and orange and place them in the in pitcher. Juice another lime and lemon and add the juice to the pitcher. Add the apple juice concentrate and grape juice.
- Chill until ready to serve. Immediately before serving, add the sparkling water or club soda and serve over ice, trying to get some of the fruit into each glass.
Red wine can be substituted for grape juice if desired.
- Serving Size: 4